Home > Resources, Diet, Testimonials, Logs > Diet, Recipes > Vegetables, Grains, Legumes, Fiber > Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Ray Peat Potato Protein > Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

1. I think I might cook Peat Potato Protein Soup for the 1st time tonight.

How long do I need to let it stand for to let the starch settle out?

& another question, I've been wondering about:

Why do we have to cook it at all? After all, it has very little starch if any. Are we neutralising toxins by cooking it? Transforming the proteins, the ketoacids?

2. For a few hours is optimal. I only cook what I am going to eat.

3. There's still some amount of starch & fiber left even after leaving the liquid separate overnight. Cooking might kill some vitamin but it doesn't change the energy (ketoacids) of the soup.

4. When I take the juice from the juicer to a container, something very thick forms at the bottom of the container. Is this normal?

5. I think that is starch.

6. So starch accumulates at the top AND a bit at the bottom?

7. More like a lot on the bottom and some at the top end up floating and foamy.

8. How many pounds of potatoes do you use to make the juice for a day?

9. Really depends on how juicy the potatoes are.

10. Guesstimates?

11. 8 big potatoes maybe... But on weeks I do it, I buy many more so that it lasts several days in the fridge. Would be too consuming for just 1 day, since it takes almost 1 day to do it including the time it takes for the starch to separate completely.

12. Did any of you try making it without letting starch separate? If you did, what's the difference in how you felt?

13. Do you let it stand on the fridge or at room temperature?

14. I try to let it separate as much as possible in the fridge.

15. How long do you find is a good amount of time? 1 day? 2?

16. It's more like a continuing never ending process until the liquid is all gone. There always seems to be some starch leftover on the bottom.

17. Leaving it overnight in the fridge will result in result in separation - at least you won't see anything more building up by waiting longer. You can then scoop up a bowl each day from the top layer while avoiding unnecessary contact with the starch so that it stays calm.

18. Anyone know where the solanine goes? With the starch or the liquid?

19. I peel the potatoes prior to juicing.

20. There's still some left. With a bad potato, could be a lot. Wonder where that goes.

21. Is it a good idea to use a colander to remove the starch after cooking the juice?

22. I use muslin and still get some starch left over. I cannot imagine a colander doing much for the starch but I could be wrong.

23. After it's cooked?

24. No, after the juicing part.

25. Before letting it stand? It seems there would be way too much starch at that point, so it would be easier to do it after it separates, or not?

26. I find straining to be counter-productive. Best is to leave the juice sit overnight in the fridge, then every day scoop up what you need to cook. The starch will stay at the bottom rock solid as long as you don't touch it. Prior to this method, I strained it, which wasn't easy and there was still starch forming after leaving it the fridge, so it wasn't useful.

Whatever the method, if you do it properly then the liquid you cook does not solidify at all, contrary to what you'd get if you cooked the liquid after the juicing without waiting. There may be some particles in suspension, but its really a liquid.

27. I let it stand for a bit, then strain, then let it stand in the fridge, then strain again sometimes. If you happen to get all the starch out so that non settles on the bottom, congratulations, you win the internet. :mrgreen:

28. So none of you tried straining it after it's cooked?

29. I think there are some colanders that are really good.

30. Does using multiple coffee filters do the job of separating the starch ?
    There are too some commercial fine filters on can reuse.

It would be really nice health wise to be able to drink the juice without cooking it.

31. Because of raw food dogma or just convenience?

32. I believe cooking destroys some enzymes, and certainly some vitamins.
    And there's the oxydation to ambient air that takes place; the less time it's exposed to air, the less oxydised it gets.
    I can't say for sure all the ingredients in raw potato juice are considered beneficial though; did Ray say something about that ?

33. I think the main use for the potato juice is to provide protein to someone with weak digestive system. The cooking is to reduce some of the bad aspects of potatoes, Ray recommends cooking them I think for 40 minutes. But the protein and the minerals I believe aren't destroyed. The vitamins that are destroyed one could get from another source (liver juice?).

34. Does anyone know if you can make hash browns out of the potato pulp?

35. Well, i cooked the full juice, together with the starch.

Then i let it separate in the fridge; but each time i touch the surface, the starch at the bottom starts agitating.

Maybe i should use this:

[​IMG]

36. You can try coffee filter to remove the starch when it is in raw liquid form.
    If one is allergenic to Solanine compound in potato then removing starch is not
    going to make it safe. RP recommends peeling the skin as most of the
    Solanine is concentrated just below the skin. I think in terms of nutrition
    it is a super food.After a lot of experimentation i have temporarily given
    up on potato protein soup, may be ill try it later.

37. Today was the first day i drank it, and i don't feel the urge to eat anything else.
    The taste reminded me of oven cooked potatoes.
    Is there any way to avoid the browning of the juice ?
    Salt ?
    Ascorbic acid ?

Someone knows how to flavor it ?

38. If you let it separate overnight in the fridge, the starch at the bottom should have settle and be fairly stable. A little bit will agitate and you'll see particles moving as you scoop up the amount you need for that day, but it should be minimal. You wouldn't even notice any volume change of the starch at the bottom by visual inspection.

39. A quick update:
    I've found much easier to first cook the juice together with it's starch, then use a coffee filter to separate it.
    When cooked, the starch particles aggregate together and become much bigger.

If i try to separate the starch before cooking the juice, the starch particles are very small and clogg the pores of the coffee filter, and it takes ages to separate ( if at all).

The taste is enhanced a bit by adding salt; but it can be drank without it if ones prefer it that way.

I'm using a two stage process for the juice: first grinding to a paste with the champion juicer, then pressing of the paste in a hydraulic press.

40. This might have been addressed somewhat in the other potato protein thread... but couldn't find it. I juiced potatoes yesterday and let it sit for about 24 hrs covered in the fridge. There is a thick layer of starch at the bottom, then a middle later which I believe is the liquid protein, then a small top layer. I think the top layer is another layer of starch. It turned very dark brown. I tried to scoop off the top layer, but some of the dark brown stuff got mixed in to the layer below and there was not way to separate it out. Then I scooped out the liquid into a pot... I think some of the starch from the bottom layer got mixed in, but hopefully not too much. It's on the stove right now-- a top foamy layer started forming. I assumed this was more starch, and I started to try to scoop to off. But it seems the whole things is turning into foam, so can't really scoop any more off or there won't be anything left.

Anyone know what the foamy stuff is?

And seriously, can someone start selling potato protein soup? I probably made about 2 lbs of potatoes and I think it will yield like 2 sips of liquid... 8 lbs of potatoes in theory for about 100g of protein... but if you lose so much with each batch, I'll need to juice about 20 potatoes a day just to get enough.

Edited: I'm adding a picture- this is what it looks like after 40 minutes of cooking. See the clumps? It's all getting clumpy. And it does not smell appetizing. Think it's safe to drink?

41. Was brave and took a bite after salting it. Really vile. Like gritty stinky socks. And I'll eat pretty much anything... I don't mind kale broth or liver... but this stuff....ick!

I seriously don't think I can drink this. Did the top layer that turned brown and seeped into the lower liquid perhaps cause the problem? Others on this forum said they kept the raw juice in the fridge... anyone else have this issue? Even if some starch got in, I wouldn't think that would make it taste bad, it would just be starchy and clumpy. The potatoes seemed pretty fresh and had no growths when I juiced them.
    Arg

42. You will get a higher yield with a two step process.
    My experience is i obtained 1 quart of raw juice out of 6 pounds of peeled potatoes.

And i agree, the smell and taste aren't great.
    But the effects: WOW !!

I drank a cup yesterday, and after ten minutes needed to take my shirt off to cool down. :lol:

I felt energized as if i had just run 2 miles.

This is powerful stuff !

43. That hasn't happened to me, Katty. I find the juice earthy but not unpleasant. Try another batch?

44. As in using a hydraulic press too? Unfortunately I don't have one.
    But maybe I will try to cook it first and then separate the starch as you suggested. How long do you cook it? The same 40 minutes? A long time ago I tried to cook it with the starch still in it and the whole thing got gooey and sticky- wouldn't be able to separate the protein from the starch. Maybe I just need a higher amount of liquid (aka, more potatoes).

So you didn't get a weird brown top layer when letting it sit in fridge?
    I'll try another batch. =)

45. I strongly suspect due to the fact you didn't have a hydraulic press, a lot of fiber escaped into your final product.

Using a two step process will yield you more juice with no fibers.
    And it will be quite easy and fast to prepare.
    Not to mention these two units ( champion + press) will last a lifetime and can be used for any other juicing task.

I cooked it for 45 min, as advised.

46. I'm making it again tomorrow, and will let you know. My juicer is the 'chew it up and spit it out kind' (technical term lol) which gives a liquid without fibre or any solids in it, in which the starch quickly settles to the bottom. I do leave it in the fridge a while for it all to settle and very little starch ends up in the juice. I don't get the scrambled egg texture when I cook it, just a few flecks of whitish stuff. I think that's good but have long wondered about no scrambled egg effect. Other than the starch, the juice is just one layer, not two, and it does go slightly brown or really a more dark golden colour. But I'll update you tomorrow.

47. Same, on two or three occasions. TONS of starch settled out, so it's not that, but the top layer oxidises unless put in an airtight container before cooking. I think 30 mins is enough to settle out most (or enough) of the starch, it's significant at this point, and should stop it spoiling.

I cooked mine for 10 mins and it always tasted like undercooked, rotten potato. NOt a good combo!!!

48. I'm not aware of oxidation and blackening of color being a problem. It's pretty common for a vegetable product.

49. I made a batch yesterday and it went as I said above. I let it settle for shorter time - about 20 mins I think - got impatient and cooked it. as a result there was more starch but during cooking lots stuck to the side of the pot. Overnight in the fridge it has settled more and it will be easy to pour off the liquid on top. Cooked for 40 mins, it reduces and has a strong potato taste but not a bad taste. It's a clear deep golden colour.

50. Thanks for the update! I'll try another batch. I think letting it sit raw overnight was the problem. I'll let it settle for 20 mins or so and then cook. I'm assuming you're all cooking it on low or a low simmer and not boiling it hard for the 40 mins of cooking?

51. Aiming for a simmer but my stove doesn't know the meaning of moderation, I have incinerate or nothing.

52. OK, so I finally got around to another batch. I juiced 5 pounds of potatoes. This time I let it sit for about 20 minutes after juicing and there was a foamy layer on top. I scooped off the foamy layer and there was a golden juice underneath- looking good so far. Most of the starch had settled to the bottom in a hard layer so it was pretty easy to pour the liquid into a pot. I then cooked it on low for about 45 minutes. While it was cooking, clumps formed in the soup-- I'm assuming this was more starch, so I scooped some out as it cooked. After 45 mins, I used a strained to filter it because there were more clumps. It actually looks like there's still some starchy stuff floating around in the liquid, but I can't imagine being able to filter anymore out.
    I'm left with 1 C of liquid. 5 pounds of potatoes... 1 C of liquid. What the heck? 8 pounds of potatoes is supposed to be about 100g of protein. So 5 pounds should be 62g. I can't believe there are 62g of protein in this one cup of liquid. That would be 7.75g of protein per ounce. Of course I'd love if that were accurate, but I seriously doubt it.
    Are others able to yield more liquid?

53. My experience with a 2 stage juicing process:
    - Grinding with a Champion juicer: [​IMG]
    I take the pulp and then put it in my hydraulic press:

- Hydraulic press:[​IMG]
    This is my personal 19 000 tons machine, to which i'm sentimentally attached.

Now, if you don't have the room for this, here's a slightly smaller unit: [​IMG]

If i start with 10 kg of potatoes, i end up with 3.9 kg of potato juice, which isn't flabby.(39% efficiency)
    PS: Actually, considering once peeled the 10kg potatoes weigh now 6,7 kg, the grinding/pressing efficiency is 3,9/6,7= 58% !!)
    Out of the 3.9 kg of juice, i've taken out 340 gr of cooked starch.

- Peeling and slicing takes 1 hour
    - Grinding with the Champion takes 15 min
    - Hydraulic pressing takes 45 min
    - Cleaning takes 5 min

Total: 2 hours and 5 min

I've found the juice tastes way, way better if you boil it for 40 min without adding any water. And it makes it much easier to refrigerate, as it takes less space.

54. :lol:

55. That 19 0000 ton press - it's lovely Burt, do you think they have it in white?

56. They do; but beware, these models don't have yet the european power plug. :cry:

57. Has anybody on here come up with a potato juice soup that actually tastes good? When I tried it in the past, it was really gross. I just couldn't stomach the taste.

However, raw potato juice mixed with raw apple juice is quite tasty (let the starch settle though).

I'm thinking if you add the potato juice to another stock and make a soup that way, it might taste better? Or else the flavor would ruin the soup you want to make.

58. I might try that next time.

I'm worried though about remaining raw starch; does anybody know if the settling process is efficient at near 100% ?

59. If I remember correctly, I had no trouble drinking the raw juice - I just let it settle for awhile. The only other time I've had the potato juice was cooked like eggs (with the starch) - that was a horrible experience. Raw juice, not at all.

60. I had always thought it was important to cook potatoes well not just for the starch but for other chemicals in them that could be a anti-health when raw. I wonder if the solanine is usefully degraded by cooking.

61. Try evaporation over the stove to measure the residue. My guess is that the quantity left (and letting the liquid settle overnight) is extremely small compared to that found in a single potato. The soup should after the settling should be like water in consistent, with some non dense particles here and there. Obviously when cooking it does the scambled eggs thing, that's because it wasn't settled properly.

62. I find 30 minutes lets most of the starch settle out. I cook the soup for 20 minutes to cook any remaining out, then often re-heat it mixed with broth and other stuff (eg cream like the recipe given last week by someone). Also if i leave the stuff overnight it always turns brown no matter how i cover it, I think this oxidation would be worse than a tiny amount of starch.

63. Browning of the potato has nothing to do with that kind of oxidation. It's a harmless reaction.

64. I looked around, and haven't found anyone making the potato soup without a juicer.

My question is, can the potatoes be blended up thoroughly in a Vitamix, then left overnight for the starch to settle out? Or would this method leave behind too much excess fiber?

65. Anyone know where I can read the method for making Potato soup? The old thread about it is missing pictures now so Im not 100% what to do...

66. i just juiced 5 lbs of red potatoes. put the liquid part in a pan and through out the solids in the bottom of the jar and cooked the liquid for 30 minuets. as it cooked the starch formed in lumps. I scooped out whatever sticky stuff formed and got about 8 oz of liquid. is that right? Seems like so little and am i getting equivalent of 2 qts of milk protein as Ray Peat says? 2 lbs of potatoes= 1 qt of milk protein = 40g. so if all the protein were to be in the liquid 1 cup would = 80g!
    5lbs of organic potatoes cost me $11.
    This whole process didnt take that long so i am wondering if i did something wrong. It taste great.

67. It's incredibly easy.

Peel, then juice potatoes with a centrifugal juicer.

The tough part comes out from the juicer.

Leave the juice in any pot/container for 20-30 mins, then simply slowly pour the liquid into a cooking pot. You'll see at the bottom of the first pot, there will be a thick layer of white starch paste. It almost solidifies, but when you put your fingers in, it turns back to liquid/paste. It's super cool. Running under water will send it down the drain.

I boil the liquid on a simmer for 10-15 mins, it stays liquid and doesn't coagulate for me. I add cooked greens liquid, or boil them in the same pan for 15 mins as I cook the juice. There will always be SOME starch left in the juice so it will go a bit grainy. You can sieve this or not. I add cream tbsp with some tomato paste too sometimes - TONS of salt. It's delicious.