Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

Katty

Was brave and took a bite after salting it. Really vile. Like gritty stinky socks. And I'll eat pretty much anything... I don't mind kale broth or liver... but this stuff....ick!

I seriously don't think I can drink this. Did the top layer that turned brown and seeped into the lower liquid perhaps cause the problem? Others on this forum said they kept the raw juice in the fridge... anyone else have this issue? Even if some starch got in, I wouldn't think that would make it taste bad, it would just be starchy and clumpy. The potatoes seemed pretty fresh and had no growths when I juiced them.
Arg

burtlancast

You will get a higher yield with a two step process.
My experience is i obtained 1 quart of raw juice out of 6 pounds of peeled potatoes.

And i agree, the smell and taste aren't great.
But the effects: WOW !!

I drank a cup yesterday, and after ten minutes needed to take my shirt off to cool down. :lol:

I felt energized as if i had just run 2 miles.

This is powerful stuff !

SQu

That hasn't happened to me, Katty. I find the juice earthy but not unpleasant. Try another batch?

Katty

burtlancast said:
You will get a higher yield with a two step process.!
As in using a hydraulic press too? Unfortunately I don't have one.
But maybe I will try to cook it first and then separate the starch as you suggested. How long do you cook it? The same 40 minutes? A long time ago I tried to cook it with the starch still in it and the whole thing got gooey and sticky- wouldn't be able to separate the protein from the starch. Maybe I just need a higher amount of liquid (aka, more potatoes).

sueq said:
That hasn't happened to me, Katty. I find the juice earthy but not unpleasant. Try another batch?
So you didn't get a weird brown top layer when letting it sit in fridge?
I'll try another batch. =)

burtlancast

Katty said:
burtlancast said:
You will get a higher yield with a two step process.!
As in using a hydraulic press too? Unfortunately I don't have one.
But maybe I will try to cook it first and then separate the starch as you suggested. How long do you cook it? The same 40 minutes? A long time ago I tried to cook it with the starch still in it and the whole thing got gooey and sticky- wouldn't be able to separate the protein from the starch.

I strongly suspect due to the fact you didn't have a hydraulic press, a lot of fiber escaped into your final product.

Using a two step process will yield you more juice with no fibers.
And it will be quite easy and fast to prepare.
Not to mention these two units ( champion + press) will last a lifetime and can be used for any other juicing task.

I cooked it for 45 min, as advised.

SQu

I'm making it again tomorrow, and will let you know. My juicer is the 'chew it up and spit it out kind' (technical term lol) which gives a liquid without fibre or any solids in it, in which the starch quickly settles to the bottom. I do leave it in the fridge a while for it all to settle and very little starch ends up in the juice. I don't get the scrambled egg texture when I cook it, just a few flecks of whitish stuff. I think that's good but have long wondered about no scrambled egg effect. Other than the starch, the juice is just one layer, not two, and it does go slightly brown or really a more dark golden colour. But I'll update you tomorrow.

aquaman

Katty said:
Did the top layer that turned brown and seeped into the lower liquid perhaps cause the problem? Others on this forum said they kept the raw juice in the fridge... anyone else have this issue?
Arg

Same, on two or three occasions. TONS of starch settled out, so it's not that, but the top layer oxidises unless put in an airtight container before cooking. I think 30 mins is enough to settle out most (or enough) of the starch, it's significant at this point, and should stop it spoiling.

I cooked mine for 10 mins and it always tasted like undercooked, rotten potato. NOt a good combo!!!

jyb

I'm not aware of oxidation and blackening of color being a problem. It's pretty common for a vegetable product.

SQu

I made a batch yesterday and it went as I said above. I let it settle for shorter time - about 20 mins I think - got impatient and cooked it. as a result there was more starch but during cooking lots stuck to the side of the pot. Overnight in the fridge it has settled more and it will be easy to pour off the liquid on top. Cooked for 40 mins, it reduces and has a strong potato taste but not a bad taste. It's a clear deep golden colour.

Katty

sueq said:
I made a batch yesterday and it went as I said above. I let it settle for shorter time - about 20 mins I think - got impatient and cooked it. as a result there was more starch but during cooking lots stuck to the side of the pot. Overnight in the fridge it has settled more and it will be easy to pour off the liquid on top. Cooked for 40 mins, it reduces and has a strong potato taste but not a bad taste. It's a clear deep golden colour.
Thanks for the update! I'll try another batch. I think letting it sit raw overnight was the problem. I'll let it settle for 20 mins or so and then cook. I'm assuming you're all cooking it on low or a low simmer and not boiling it hard for the 40 mins of cooking?

SQu

Aiming for a simmer but my stove doesn't know the meaning of moderation, I have incinerate or nothing.

Katty

OK, so I finally got around to another batch. I juiced 5 pounds of potatoes. This time I let it sit for about 20 minutes after juicing and there was a foamy layer on top. I scooped off the foamy layer and there was a golden juice underneath- looking good so far. Most of the starch had settled to the bottom in a hard layer so it was pretty easy to pour the liquid into a pot. I then cooked it on low for about 45 minutes. While it was cooking, clumps formed in the soup-- I'm assuming this was more starch, so I scooped some out as it cooked. After 45 mins, I used a strained to filter it because there were more clumps. It actually looks like there's still some starchy stuff floating around in the liquid, but I can't imagine being able to filter anymore out.
I'm left with 1 C of liquid. 5 pounds of potatoes... 1 C of liquid. What the heck? 8 pounds of potatoes is supposed to be about 100g of protein. So 5 pounds should be 62g. I can't believe there are 62g of protein in this one cup of liquid. That would be 7.75g of protein per ounce. Of course I'd love if that were accurate, but I seriously doubt it.
Are others able to yield more liquid?

burtlancast

My experience with a 2 stage juicing process:
- Grinding with a Champion juicer:
MG_02341.jpg

I take the pulp and then put it in my hydraulic press:

- Hydraulic press:
185nm-oil-hydraulic-press-2.jpg

This is my personal 19 000 tons machine, to which i'm sentimentally attached.

Now, if you don't have the room for this, here's a slightly smaller unit:
press.145102647_std.jpg

If i start with 10 kg of potatoes, i end up with 3.9 kg of potato juice, which isn't flabby.(39% efficiency)
PS: Actually, considering once peeled the 10kg potatoes weigh now 6,7 kg, the grinding/pressing efficiency is 3,9/6,7= 58% !!)
Out of the 3.9 kg of juice, i've taken out 340 gr of cooked starch.

- Peeling and slicing takes 1 hour
- Grinding with the Champion takes 15 min
- Hydraulic pressing takes 45 min
- Cleaning takes 5 min

Total: 2 hours and 5 min

I've found the juice tastes way, way better if you boil it for 40 min without adding any water. And it makes it much easier to refrigerate, as it takes less space.

tara

burtlancast said:
This is my personal 19 000 tons machine, to which i'm sentimentally attached.
:lol:

SQu

That 19 0000 ton press - it's lovely Burt, do you think they have it in white?

burtlancast

sueq said:
That 19 0000 ton press - it's lovely Burt, do you think they have it in white?

They do; but beware, these models don't have yet the european power plug. :cry:

lindsay

Has anybody on here come up with a potato juice soup that actually tastes good? When I tried it in the past, it was really gross. I just couldn't stomach the taste.

However, raw potato juice mixed with raw apple juice is quite tasty (let the starch settle though).

I'm thinking if you add the potato juice to another stock and make a soup that way, it might taste better? Or else the flavor would ruin the soup you want to make.

burtlancast

lindsay said:
However, raw potato juice mixed with raw apple juice is quite tasty (let the starch settle though).

I might try that next time.

I'm worried though about remaining raw starch; does anybody know if the settling process is efficient at near 100% ?

lindsay

burtlancast said:
lindsay said:

I might try that next time.

I'm worried though about remaining raw starch; does anybody know if the settling process is efficient at near 100% ?

If I remember correctly, I had no trouble drinking the raw juice - I just let it settle for awhile. The only other time I've had the potato juice was cooked like eggs (with the starch) - that was a horrible experience. Raw juice, not at all.

tara

I had always thought it was important to cook potatoes well not just for the starch but for other chemicals in them that could be a anti-health when raw. I wonder if the solanine is usefully degraded by cooking.