Quick Q About Peat Potato Protein Soup

Bluebell

I think I might cook Peat Potato Protein Soup for the 1st time tonight.

How long do I need to let it stand for to let the starch settle out?

& another question, I've been wondering about:

Why do we have to cook it at all? After all, it has very little starch if any. Are we neutralising toxins by cooking it? Transforming the proteins, the ketoacids?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
For a few hours is optimal. I only cook what I am going to eat.

jyb

There's still some amount of starch & fiber left even after leaving the liquid separate overnight. Cooking might kill some vitamin but it doesn't change the energy (ketoacids) of the soup.

J

j.

When I take the juice from the juicer to a container, something very thick forms at the bottom of the container. Is this normal?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think that is starch.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
More like a lot on the bottom and some at the top end up floating and foamy.

J

j.

How many pounds of potatoes do you use to make the juice for a day?

jyb

8 big potatoes maybe... But on weeks I do it, I buy many more so that it lasts several days in the fridge. Would be too consuming for just 1 day, since it takes almost 1 day to do it including the time it takes for the starch to separate completely.

J

j.

Did any of you try making it without letting starch separate? If you did, what's the difference in how you felt?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I try to let it separate as much as possible in the fridge.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It's more like a continuing never ending process until the liquid is all gone. There always seems to be some starch leftover on the bottom.

jyb

Charlie said:
It's more like a continuing never ending process until the liquid is all gone. There always seems to be some starch leftover on the bottom.

Leaving it overnight in the fridge will result in result in separation - at least you won't see anything more building up by waiting longer. You can then scoop up a bowl each day from the top layer while avoiding unnecessary contact with the starch so that it stays calm.

J

j.

Anyone know where the solanine goes? With the starch or the liquid?