Quick And Easy Peat-friendly Candida Supps?

hoppimike

I know that on the Peat side the approach is more to optimize thyroid and immune health and eat carrots, coconuts, ACV etc but... previously I was alternating wild oregano and grapefruit seed extract to take the edge off Candida.

Is GSE still bad? I know grapefruit is supposed to be estrogenic... but what about GSE o_O

And I wonder about olive leaf extract, pau d'arco, etc...

Any thoughts?

Cheers dudes!

Hoppi :)

cliff

Low thyroid makes it so bacteria are able to colonize your upper digestive tract. Optimizxng thyroid is your best bet, any supplement like GFS extract or oregano is just gonna harm you in the long run because they are estrogenic.

Candida is only a problem if you try to starve it and it becomes invasive.

OP
hoppimike

hoppimike

cliff said:
Low thyroid makes it so bacteria are able to colonize your upper digestive tract. Optimizxng thyroid is your best bet, any supplement like GFS extract or oregano is just gonna harm you in the long run because they are estrogenic.

Even oregano is estrogenic? Really? >.<

Johnny

I remember hearing an interview with Dr.Peat about Candidiasis in which he mentions that as long as we feed it sugar and keep it in the GI tract it's harmless,
the problem starts when candida is being starved, allowing it to overgrow to other parts of the body and become toxic, I suspect that what's happening in my body right now,

After following Peat dietary guidelines for over a year without any significant improvements I decided yesterday to try anti-candida supplement called "Capricin",
I took 2 capsules and after a few hours I started to experience flu-like symptoms alongside very strong pain in my lungs, now a day after the pain began to spread out to my right hand and upper back, I can literally feel it circulating through my bloodstream at this point,
I wonder what if anyone else experienced similar symptoms, and if there's any other way to find relief without going to the hospital and getting treated with
heavy antibiotics use? could activated charcoal be a good option at this point?

Yves

You normally don't take oregano oil or GSE for very long.. so I wouldn't worry too much about the estrogen effect, which can probably be countered with progesterone. Nystatin and natamycin are safe as far as I know, the azole drugs I'm less certain of.

Aspirin has anti-candida properties. I recall reading some articles that candida uses prostaglandins as a signaling molecule to form bio-films, or something to that effect, and that aspirin inhibited it. Salicylic acid generally has antimicrobial properties at least in vitro.

nicotinamide may also be antifungal - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141617.htm . I'm not sure how Peat feels about that form of B3 (he likes niacin)

edit - Didn't check the date before I responded. oops!

Also, I am not convinced candida is 'harmless' as long as it's well fed. Fungal cell wall toxins and metabolites are toxic to mitochondria. Candida also steals nutrients like Coq10 and possibly other fat soluble vitamins. Considering that we eat sugar that is quickly absorbed it would never reach the colon where candida tends to reside anyway, so I never understood that point. It is true that candida will penetrate the intestinal wall and that low-carb exacerbates that, but it has to do with the immune system being starved of glucose, hypothyroidism, impaired mucous production from glucose deprivation, and from the fact that fungi can use ketones. In other words, if you have a fungal infection, low-carb will starve you while leaving the fungus relatively unharmed. I believe that's why high sugar intake is beneficial for fungal infections more than keeping the fungus 'well-fed', though I'm open to seeing the counter-evidence.

nwo2012

Yves said:
You normally don't take oregano oil or GSE for very long.. so I wouldn't worry too much about the estrogen effect, which can probably be countered with progesterone. Nystatin and natamycin are safe as far as I know, the azole drugs I'm less certain of.

Aspirin has anti-candida properties. I recall reading some articles that candida uses prostaglandins as a signaling molecule to form bio-films, or something to that effect, and that aspirin inhibited it. Salicylic acid generally has antimicrobial properties at least in vitro.

nicotinamide may also be antifungal - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 141617.htm . I'm not sure how Peat feels about that form of B3 (he likes niacin)

edit - Didn't check the date before I responded. oops!

Also, I am not convinced candida is 'harmless' as long as it's well fed. Fungal cell wall toxins and metabolites are toxic to mitochondria. Candida also steals nutrients like Coq10 and possibly other fat soluble vitamins. Considering that we eat sugar that is quickly absorbed it would never reach the colon where candida tends to reside anyway, so I never understood that point. It is true that candida will penetrate the intestinal wall and that low-carb exacerbates that, but it has to do with the immune system being starved of glucose, hypothyroidism, impaired mucous production from glucose deprivation, and from the fact that fungi can use ketones. In other words, if you have a fungal infection, low-carb will starve you while leaving the fungus relatively unharmed. I believe that's why high sugar intake is beneficial for fungal infections more than keeping the fungus 'well-fed', though I'm open to seeing the counter-evidence.

The oregano oil can wreak havoc on your gut even over a so-called short period of time. Very inflammatory.

Yves

I've taken oregano oil on a number of occasions with almost entirely positive effects. It's one of the few herbals that I think had a real antibiotic effect for me. I would recommend taking it with meals, and you're never supposed to take the undiluted form. I don't recall any inflammatory symptoms, and I have a sensitive gut.

pboy

Make a tea that's pretty strong and drink about 24oz water with it, containing oregano, garlic, cloves, and/or cayenne pepper but don't do this more than 1 day in a row
It will definatley help but if you do it a couple days in a row it will suddenly seem repulsive and I think that's an indicator that its too much.

BTW isn't coconut oil naturally antibiotic, as well as dark cacao? I don't really feel the need to ever do a specific cleanse on a normal Peat based way of eating.

jaketthomas

No need for antifungals or candida supplements when you have coconut oil in your diet. Coconut oil is probably the most potent anti-fungal you could ever put into your body. Also, avoiding starch is also key in eliminating excess candida. Candida also seems to thrive in a cold, dark body. Warm up your body temp, take coconut oil, get some sunlight, and the candida should go back down to normal levels, relatively quickly.

The best way to treat any dis-ease, is to treat the body as a whole. Treat your candida symptoms the same way you would treat your depression, arthritis, etc. When the body is well as a whole, dis-ease symptoms will disappear.

Thomas

Johnny said:
I remember hearing an interview with Dr.Peat about Candidiasis in which he mentions that as long as we feed it sugar and keep it in the GI tract it's harmless,
the problem starts when candida is being starved, allowing it to overgrow to other parts of the body and become toxic, I suspect that what's happening in my body right now,

After following Peat dietary guidelines for over a year without any significant improvements I decided yesterday to try anti-candida supplement called "Capricin",
I took 2 capsules and after a few hours I started to experience flu-like symptoms alongside very strong pain in my lungs, now a day after the pain began to spread out to my right hand and upper back, I can literally feel it circulating through my bloodstream at this point,
I wonder what if anyone else experienced similar symptoms, and if there's any other way to find relief without going to the hospital and getting treated with
heavy antibiotics use? could activated charcoal be a good option at this point?

Hi mate,
you cant kill candida with a antibiotic because its a fungus. You will only kill bacteria and create more place for the fungus to grow. If you want to kill bacteria with an antibiotic you should use an antifungal at the same time.

yours
Thomas

YuraCZ

What Peat says about candida overgrowth? Because Peat diet looks like really candida friendly diet or I miss something? :confused

Sea

Peat says that candida is basically a myth. I think you would only have to worry about candida on a ketogenic diet while also being very hypothyroid. Peat says that if you try to starve the yeasts of sugar then they penetrate the gut barrier to gain access to the blood stream. I also know from non peat sources that candida is one of the pathogens that can metabolize ketones which can allow it to become dominant in the gut on a low sugar diet. If you have a white coating on your tongue, it is most likely not candida, but a bacterial or parasitic overgrowth. Either way, the solution is to increase the speed of metabolism which is what Ray Peat focuses on.

Giraffe

Dr. B

Peat says that candida is basically a myth. I think you would only have to worry about candida on a ketogenic diet while also being very hypothyroid. Peat says that if you try to starve the yeasts of sugar then they penetrate the gut barrier to gain access to the blood stream. I also know from non peat sources that candida is one of the pathogens that can metabolize ketones which can allow it to become dominant in the gut on a low sugar diet. If you have a white coating on your tongue, it is most likely not candida, but a bacterial or parasitic overgrowth. Either way, the solution is to increase the speed of metabolism which is what Ray Peat focuses on.

has anyone looked into olive leaf extract yet? supposedly anti bacterial, possibly anti fungal too.
apparently some people do get the so called "detox" side effects of stomach pains, nausea, flu symptoms, aches and pains... could this be the result of candida being bothered or spreading as a result of olive leaf consumption?
so should olive leaf extract be avoided, and only something like charcoal capsules used?

Back
Top Bottom