Questions About Eggshell Calcium Powder

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Okay thank you, so you advice to put the eggshell calcium in a glass of milk is that what you're saying? I have just received a biological pet eggshell calcium powder and it says it contains ''3,4% ash'' what does this mean and is it safe to use? Is there actual ash in this product?

The product states Calcium 37,4% Ash 3,4% Phosphorus 0,11%. I am confused why they state ash as 3.4% while ash is supposed to be the total mineral content, where as it seems to represent the proteins in this product. It's a German product and it says ''Ascherückstand'' which translates on the Dutch disclaimer that came with the product as ''ash''. I read on the internet that ash is ment to be the mineral content after a sample of the product is incinerated.. Does anyone have an idea of what it is supposed to mean? Thanks.

Last edited:

LucH

1. so you advice to put the eggshell calcium in a glass of milk; is that what you're saying?
2. I have just received a biological pet eggshell calcium powder and it says it contains ''3,4% ash'' what does this mean and is it safe to use?
1. No. I made a comparison with different sources of Ca. Content and bioavailability. Daily allowance = Content.
Let fall.
2. There are other minerals, not identified.
Ash refers to any inorganic material, such as minerals, present in food. It's called "ash" because it's residue that remains after heating removes water and organic material such as fat and protein.
If you don't trust the label, or suffer from a pathology, I won't buy it.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

1. No. I made a comparison with different sources of Ca. Content and bioavailability. Daily allowance = Content.
Let fall.
2. There are other minerals, not identified.
Ash refers to any inorganic material, such as minerals, present in food. It's called "ash" because it's residue that remains after heating removes water and organic material such as fat and protein.
If you don't trust the label, or suffer from a pathology, I won't buy it.
What do you exactly mean with not buying when suffering from a pathology? Would you prefer eggshell calcium that you have made yourself in such a case due to safety? Also if you could, could you answer this question for me please? Thank you :):

I have another question though. I am inquiring here for my mother who is 56 years old currently. What is the best way for her to take the eggshell calcium powder, also in regards to stomach acid? Since calcium carbonate is alkaline and water is too, I thought just taking it dissolved in water isn't good for absorption but I might be wrong. What do you advice, and what does Ray Peat have to say about this?

LucH

What do you exactly mean with not buying when suffering from a pathology? Would you prefer eggshell calcium that you have made yourself in such a case due to safety?
When there is an auto-immune illness, or a fouling pathology (overload of emunctories), if enzyme pathway is blocked by mercury, you won't recover.
I'd play "save mode" if I don't know what "ash" implies.
With organic eggs, you know what you use ...

LucH

carbonate salts must be taken during a meal. Citrates can be taken outside.
I won't take eggshell carbonates with meat. The least protein (not too much)
Why not at breakfast with a fruit and coconut oil. Or a Miam-Ô-fruit (1/2 banana + lemon juice + dried coconut slices and à tbsp of almond or hazelnuts + ...).

OP
T

TreasureVibe

carbonate salts must be taken during a meal. Citrates can be taken outside.
I won't take eggshell carbonates with meat. The least protein (not too much)
Why not at breakfast with a fruit and coconut oil. Or a Miam-Ô-fruit (1/2 banana + lemon juice + dried coconut slices and à tbsp of almond or hazelnuts + ...).
Thank you! And how much at at a time can be taken? Also, what could be in this pet eggshell calcium with 3,4% ash that you don't trust? Very curious because I do would like to use this pet supplement.

Last edited:

LucH

Thank you! And how much at at a time can be taken? Also, what could be in this pet eggshell calcium with 3,4% ash that you don't trust? Very curious because I do would like to use this pet supplement.
I didn't say not to use it but to be cautious if ...
You can use it as pet supplement for a dog or a horse if there is no brain injury or a pathology.
Only we don't know what "ash" is. It has not been identified. Probably only minerals.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I didn't say not to use it but to be cautious if ...
You can use it as pet supplement for a dog or a horse if there is no brain injury or a pathology.
Only we don't know what "ash" is. It has not been identified. Probably only minerals.
Well I would like to use it for human consumption, what is there that warrants against this?

OP
T

TreasureVibe

So far so good with the eggshell calcium!

Does anybody know if eggshell calcium put into coffee, inhibits absorption?

Thanks!

dannibo

Hey guys and gals, I have made my own eggshell calcium powder from brown colored eggshells, using the coffee grinder. I boiled them on forehand, and baked them in the oven afterwards for 20 minutes. I have a couple of questions though.

I live in the Netherlands (European Union) and I bought the eggs from a guy who comes by the house every week selling farm products. Now I am not sure what kind of eggs his eggs are. He will come by next week and I will ask him. But do eggs get sprayed with pesticides, or other chemical substances here in the European Union? And in general? And if that is the case, does boiling them remove these chemicals so they cannot be ingested? And did Ray Peat say anything about this concern?

Also, what are the dosages for a European (small) teaspoon for eggshell calcium?

And, what is the best way to take it, and is just putting it in a small amount of water and drinking it a viable option for absorption?

Also, I have contacted a pets webshop for a bio eggshell calcium supplement they sell for pets. They had contacted the manufacturer and they said that their product is made according to certain standards for biological products, the same for human dietary supplements, meaning they are not allowed to use any pesticides or other chemicals in the manufacturing progress. Still, because it is a pet supplement they are not allowed to recommend me it for human consumption. Is a eggshell calcium pet supplement safe and viable to take?

And Ray Peat recommends 2000 mg calcium for hypertension. How much eggshell calcium is recommended then in a regular diet? And is vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 and vitamin A and magnesium recommended to supplement with the calcium?

I hope you can help me out, thanks!!!
I have read about eggs from the USA having porous shells because of the way they're processed. They have to be kept refrigerated whereas that process is banned in Europe and eggs subsequently are not refrigerated. I would imagine European eggs would be a lot more healthy and have more Calcium.

superGrover

How do you guys get the soft membrane on the inside of the shell off? I tried to do it after the boiling, but it sticked too much to the eggshell.

By the way, Ray said that some tribes get 5000mg calcium a day from milk and that that is fine.

Hairfedup

If I suffer from extreme MPB at 25 should I think of supplementing calcium? My ankles and joints always feel weak.

superGrover

If I suffer from extreme MPB at 25 should I think of supplementing calcium? My ankles and joints always feel weak.
How much are you getting daily? You could try it, but be sure it's the right kind of calcium according to Ray. He recommends calcium carbonate or oystershell or eggshell if youre taking supplements.

Reason for taking calcium when you have trouble growing hair is that when intake calcium is low, the calcium gets deposited in soft tissues and arteries. That's not where you want it when you want good bloodflow to your scalp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals