Question Regarding Serotonin And Niacinamide

YourUniverse

I am confused about the following RP quote regarding niacinamide and serotonin.

"The amino acid theanine, found in tea, has been reported to decrease the amount of serotonin in the brain, probably by decreasing its synthesis and increasing its degradation. This seems to be the opposite of the processes in hibernation. Progesterone, thyroid, and niacinamide (not nicotinic acid or inositol hexanicotinate) are other safe substances that help to reduce serotonin formation, and/or accelerate its elimination. (Niacinamide seems to increase serotonin uptake.)"

It sounds like hes saying it both decreases serotonin, but increases its uptake. Isnt increasing serotonin uptake a bad thing? Is this to mean that niacinamide will help block serotonin formation, but increase the uptake of what little is made?

Mito

If there is reuptake of serotonin by the presynaptic neuron then it can be broken down by the enzyme MAO and eliminated. Reuptake also removes serotonin from the synaptic cleft where it is available to bind to receptors. SSRI’s (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) block the reuptake of serotonin.

D04E4EA4-BC52-47EF-948C-C012956D4E9B.png

OP
Y

YourUniverse

If there is reuptake of serotonin by the presynaptic neuron then it can be broken down by the enzyme MAO and eliminated. Reuptake also removes serotonin from the synaptic cleft where it is available to bind to receptors. SSRI’s (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) block the reuptake of serotonin.

View attachment 8198
Just so I'm clear, is 'reuptake' the same in this scenario as Peat's usage of 'uptake'?. So things that increase uptake (or reuptake) actually help serotonin removal?

Mito

Just so I'm clear, is 'reuptake' the same in this scenario as Peat's usage of 'uptake'?. So things that increase uptake (or reuptake) actually help serotonin removal?
That’s my understanding.

Pablo Cruise

My understanding is "reuptake" is the process that the body uses to metabolize Serotonin. If you block reuptake like some SSRI drugs do, you actually extend the life, so to speak, of Serotonin.

Uptake means, the turnover is increased and the excretion is also increased, and so the metabolites will increase-> 5-HIAA

Last edited:
I am confused about the following RP quote regarding niacinamide and serotonin.

"The amino acid theanine, found in tea, has been reported to decrease the amount of serotonin in the brain, probably by decreasing its synthesis and increasing its degradation. This seems to be the opposite of the processes in hibernation. Progesterone, thyroid, and niacinamide (not nicotinic acid or inositol hexanicotinate) are other safe substances that help to reduce serotonin formation, and/or accelerate its elimination. (Niacinamide seems to increase serotonin uptake.)"

It sounds like hes saying it both decreases serotonin, but increases its uptake. Isnt increasing serotonin uptake a bad thing? Is this to mean that niacinamide will help block serotonin formation, but increase the uptake of what little is made?

So what Peat is saying here is that the uptake of Serotonin in the brain is enhanced and therefore the elimination of it out of the brain, increasing Serotonin turnover and metabolites 5-HIAA

Pablo Cruise

As the other commenters said increasing re-uptake is a way of saying the effect of serotonin is reduced by metabolism. I disagree with some who say re-uptake enhances an effect. SSRI's work by preventing the re-uptake of serotonin so we need to be clear.
Here is what is important when you hear this medication or substance increases this or that, these claims are often too simplistic. The point is: does a substance have a significant impact on the chemical reaction being studied. So often we read studies we come away with definite opinions about the biochemistry and it really is most often more complicated than what the study suggests.

Pablo Cruise

Uptake means, the turnover is increased and the excretion is also increased, and so the metabolites will increase-> 5-HIAA

I think you are mistaken. Increasing re-uptake means basically increasing metabolism of that neuro transmitter, ie, serotonin. When the serotonin stays in the synapses, it has greater effect. I don't know what Peat is saying so no comment on his comments.

I think you are mistaken. Increasing re-uptake means basically increasing metabolism of that neuro transmitter, ie, serotonin. When the serotonin stays in the synapses, it has greater effect. I don't know what Peat is saying so no comment on his comments.

But uptake does not mean re-uptake, in this case. Sticking would be opposite to decreasing serotonin formation. Peat means not sticking, but elimination or increased uptake (with increased synthesis rate can increase turnover)