Question Regarding Fatty Acid Profile Of Low Fat Milk

shine

Hey perceivers, thinkers and acters,

I would like to know if the fatty acid profile of milk changes when it is turned from normal milk to low fat milk.
Are certain fatty acids taken out more than others or do the percentages stay the same?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey perceivers, thinkers and acters,

I would like to know if the fatty acid profile of milk changes when it is turned from normal milk to low fat milk.
Are certain fatty acids taken out more than others or do the percentages stay the same?
The ratios of fatty acids stay the same between low fat and full fat. Certain brands actually add PUFAs so be on the lookout for that.

OP
shine

shine

The ratios of fatty acids stay the same between low fat and full fat. Certain brands actually add PUFAs so be on the lookout for that.

Thanks for your reply, Hans!

I buy "Arla Bio Weidemilch 1,5% Fett", it is a bit more expensive but the taste is really good and the cows' feed consists of organic non-gmo products. They also spend atleast 120 days outside per year. I don't think they'd add PUFA to it. Would that be declared on the label or do some companies just add it without letting you know?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks for your reply, Hans!

I buy "Arla Bio Weidemilch 1,5% Fett", it is a bit more expensive but the taste is really good and the cows' feed consists of organic non-gmo products. They also spend atleast 120 days outside per year. I don't think they'd add PUFA to it. Would that be declared on the label or do some companies just add it without letting you know?
Most companies don't indicate when they add PUFAs. You'll have to check the label. This is more common with skim I believe. For example one brand can have <0.1g PUFA per 100g whereas another can have 0.5g PUFA per 100g.

orewashin

Most companies don't indicate when they add PUFAs. You'll have to check the label. This is more common with skim I believe. For example one brand can have <0.1g PUFA per 100g whereas another can have 0.5g PUFA per 100g.
How do I find out if they add PUFAs? And why do they add PUFAs in the first place, to dissolve the vitamin A and D?

Hans

Forum Supporter
How do I find out if they add PUFAs? And why do they add PUFAs in the first place, to dissolve the vitamin A and D?
Apart from looking at the label you could contact the supplier.
I'm not sure why they add PUFAs but I suspect it's because they believe in the necessity of EFAs.

orewashin

Apart from looking at the label you could contact the supplier.
I'm not sure why they add PUFAs but I suspect it's because they believe in the necessity of EFAs.
I've never seen PUFAs on a milk label before, aside from baby milk which sometimes has DHA added.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've never seen PUFAs on a milk label before, aside from baby milk which sometimes has DHA added.
Sorry I didn't mean that they would indicate it, but rather check the differences in the amount of PUFAs between different brands.

Dr. B

Sorry I didn't mean that they would indicate it, but rather check the differences in the amount of PUFAs between different brands.
do you know how much PUFA is present in 100% grass fed whole milk? is it 3% PUFA, so 3 grams PUFA in 100g of milk fat from whole milk? and if its grass fed, its a 1:1 ratio so 1.5g omega 3 and 1.5g omega 6?