Question Regarding Buteyko Vs. Baking Soda

TylerDurden

I could be wrong but is the main purpose of Buteyko breathing to increase carbon dioxide tolerance levels in the blood? if this is the main purpose would it not just be easier to take baking soda several times a day to increase CO2 or eat more fruit. It is a lot easier than trying to retrain your breathing through exercises that can be pretty complicated or is there another benefit to Buteyko breathing that I am unaware of? If so can someone enlighten me on this.

Last edited:
OP
T

TylerDurden

What I mean is, is the main benefit of retraining your respiratory centre increasing CO2 in the blood or are there other benefits as well

I think that automatically increases your longevity in your well-being. It helps you fight off illness and age slower.

yerrag

If I based it on my past two years, where I haven't practiced Buteyko, but have taken in bicarbonates, in the form of baking soda or magnesium bicarb or potassium bicarb, I have seen my venous CO2 change from 24 to as high as 33 mmol/L I haven't tried taking carbonated water or breathing carbogen for prolonged periods, so couldn't say what effects these have. With breathing carbogen there is more risk, not that bicarbonate intake has no risk. One could get metabolic alkalosis from too much intake of bicarbonates. I've been testing my urine pH lately, in order to check what my optimal intake of bicarbonate is.

I could be wrong but is the main purpose of Buteyko breathing to increase carbon dioxide tolerance levels in the blood? if this is the main purpose would it not just be easier to take baking soda several times a day to increase CO2 or eat more fruit. It is a lot easier than trying to retrain your breathing through exercises that can be pretty complicated or is there another benefit to Buteyko breathing that I am unaware of? If so can someone enlighten me on this.
The main purpose of Buteyko is to increase oxygenation of the whole body for that you need to raise CO2 in the blood. The liver needs oxygen. Low blood sugar and low oxygen are intimately related. You cannot progress with Buteyko without an instructor in the initial 30 days. Why? The breathing centre is located in Reptilian Brain Medulla Oblangata and it is comfortable with a certain amount of CO2 in the blood. Therefore no one can commit suicide holding their breath. There is more to Buteyko than just raising CO2 levels. The way you eat, sleep, exercise and TALK affects your breathing. We want to breathe less, not more. We are also changing chemoreceptors in order to breathe less, not more. How do you know you are healthy? If you can comfortably hold your breath for 60 seconds on the EXHALE not INHALE and not gasp for air that = 6.5% CO2 in the blood. If you can recreate this in 1 minute of rest, you have perfect health. For more information and learn Buteyko with an app please visit my site Teya Skae M.A. - Buteyko Breathing Instructor | Advanced Buteyko Institute and case studies. I have watched many people reduce Buteyko to bag breathing which is hyperventilation and the whole point of Buteyko is to STOP hyperventilation.

The main purpose of Buteyko is to increase oxygenation of the whole body for that you need to raise CO2 in the blood. The liver needs oxygen. Low blood sugar and low oxygen are intimately related. You cannot progress with Buteyko without an instructor in the initial 30 days. Why? The breathing centre is located in Reptilian Brain Medulla Oblangata and it is comfortable with a certain amount of CO2 in the blood. Therefore no one can commit suicide holding their breath. There is more to Buteyko than just raising CO2 levels. The way you eat, sleep, exercise and TALK affects your breathing. We want to breathe less, not more. We are also changing chemoreceptors in order to breathe less, not more. How do you know you are healthy? If you can comfortably hold your breath for 60 seconds on the EXHALE not INHALE and not gasp for air that = 6.5% CO2 in the blood. If you can recreate this in 1 minute of rest, you have perfect health. For more information and learn Buteyko with an app please visit my site Teya Skae M.A. - Buteyko Breathing Instructor | Advanced Buteyko Institute and case studies. I have watched many people reduce Buteyko to bag breathing which is hyperventilation and the whole point of Buteyko is to STOP hyperventilation.

bag breathing is not hyperventilating. You lost me with this misinformation.

Pulstar

I have watched many people reduce Buteyko to bag breathing which is hyperventilation and the whole point of Buteyko is to STOP hyperventilation.
Hyperventilation is a rapid loss of CO2 due to very frequent inhale/exhale cycle (due to panic attack for example). How can you lose CO2 when you cover your mouth with a bag and inhale its content back? This is what pilots do to prevent hyperventilation - bag breathing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals