Question On Sweet Potatoes And Other Root Veggies

CDT

Are sweet potatoes and root vegetables a good staple in a vegetarian diet? I'm trying to optimize my nutrient intake (with the hope of optimizing my height, actually!), and I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Would root vegetables and sweet potatoes be something to include extensively or minimize in order to enhance metabolism in general? Thank you in advance!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’m liking turnips lately. I think the beta carotene in sweet potatoes can be a problem if you don’t have stellar thyroid function.

biffbelvin

They're a very good calorie source and rich in potassium. Cooked root vegetables seem to keep their heat for a while and are very warming when eaten, which is great in winter. Preparation is very important and it may take some experimentation to get things right for yourself. Below are some of my own personal observations:

• Sweet potatoes are very convenient, as you can roast them whole in the oven. Once they're fully cooked, you should be able to peel the skin straight off.
  • White potatoes should be par-boiled if roasting (this reduces cooking time and bloating after meal)
  • White potatoes should be eaten with fat in a meal. Improves satiety after meals and seems to keep insulin spike at bay
  • Salt and Vinegar (or any acid, like lemon) improve palatability immensely. Imo, the more palatable a meal is, the better.
  • If you're batch cooking large amounts of starchy food (potatoes/rice etc.) make sure to re-heat them thoroughly and eat the lot within a few days. I find I get gassy/indigestion If I don't heat them up, or if they've been stored for too long (probably due to an excess of resistant starch)
  • It's best to rotate your starch sources so that you're not eating a single source week in week out (though the same could be said for most foods imo)

As I said above, these are personal insights and some may not be relevant to yourself or others.