Question about T4 dosing?

GreekDemiGod

Would it be better to take a single daily dose of T4 all at once or split it throughout the day? To achieve the best conversion.
For example: 50 mcg all at once VS 12.5 mcg x 4.
Could it be that smaller doses convert better to T3 than taking a single large dose? I think I do have some degree of impaired conversion, but I do convert a percentage of my T4.

dadavid

Would it be better to take a single daily dose of T4 all at once or split it throughout the day? To achieve the best conversion.
For example: 50 mcg all at once VS 12.5 mcg x 4.
Could it be that smaller doses convert better to T3 than taking a single large dose? I think I do have some degree of impaired conversion, but I do convert a percentage of my T4.
I add a little bit of cytomel with the once daily t4. That has made a difference.

sweetpeat

I take mostly t4 and find personally that splitting the doses does seem to convert better. Especially anything over 75 mcg.
I think, and this is just my opinion, that too much t4 at once overwhelms the system. I think Peat has mentioned t4 being hypometabolic (I'm paraphrasing) and I wonder if it's because people are told that it's fine to take a full day's worth of t4 all at once.
And maybe some people can do that without issues, but I get better results when I split mine into 3 or 4 doses. I've tried splitting into 2 doses for convenience sake, but end up feeling too hypo between doses.

FitnessMike

now you made me wonder, i barely tolerate any thyroid but it's better than it used to be, I take every other day 15 mg of NDT because more than that, for now, would just accumulate in the serum unused due to high rt3, it made me wonder if adding a bit t3 would make my liver able better to convert t4 from the NDT, and yes its due to high RT3 which I'm working on lowering

dadavid

I'm hypothyroid and have to replace thyroid.
I tried taking meds more than twice daily and it does not make me happy. Not something physical, just go around with meds on me - I end up thinking about thyroid all day....
T4 once or twice daily does not work so well.
I asked @haidut if taking T4 only is safe. He said just adding a bit T3 improves utilization of the T4.
I add 2.5mcg T3, WITH breakfast and dinner. 5mcg total . Big change.
I'm saying WITH food because it very hard for me to tolerate cytomel. With food - makes it possible. Empty stomach - lord have mercy.

sweetpeat

I add 2.5mcg T3, WITH breakfast and dinner. 5mcg total .
This is how I take my t3 as well, and approximately same dosage.
I wish I could get away from the t4 splits, or even just reduce down to 2. But no luck so far. I'm a middle age female, so that may have something to do with it.

dadavid

I wish I could get away from the t4 splits, or even just reduce down to 2. But no luck so far. I'm a middle age female, so that may have something to do with it.
Did you try chewing the synthroid? I once read that for a portion of people that makes a different.
Some do not properly digest it unless being chewed. Maybe breaking it is what you need.

sweetpeat

Did you try chewing the synthroid? I once read that for a portion of people that makes a different.
Some do not properly digest it unless being chewed. Maybe breaking it is what you need.
That's a good tip, but yes, I do chew it.
It's been a while since I tried fewer splits; at least a year, while continuing to work on liver health and other things. I should probably try again. A different context may have a different outcome. I sometimes forget that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals