Question About Oral GABA

Frankdee20

Let's say it does not cross the BBB, do some people get relief from it because maybe it converts to Glutamic Acid upon ingestion, and converted to GABA after the Glutamate crossed the BBB ?

LuMonty

It's good to see you around the forum again @Frankdee20 . The most convincing idea I've read about oral GABA is that it's effect is carried from the vagus nerve to the brain. I can say from personal experience that as I've gotten my digestion in order, more GABAergic substances have become more noticeable in effect. I take it that other GABAergic substances had no effect, side effects etc?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

It's good to see you around the forum again @Frankdee20 . The most convincing idea I've read about oral GABA is that it's effect is carried from the vagus nerve to the brain. I can say from personal experience that as I've gotten my digestion in order, more GABAergic substances have become more noticeable in effect. I take it that other GABAergic substances had no effect, side effects etc?

Well, the Nervine Herbs like Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Passion Flower all effect GABA, but they are pretty short lived effects. Valerian is obviously stronger, and so is Magnolia Bark, but they can make me feel dopey. KAVA must be great, but I never tried a good one before. Taurine is very nice too, but can lower blood sugar, and does not alleviate anxiety the way GABA does for me.

LuMonty

Well, the Nervine Herbs like Chamomile, Lemon Balm, Passion Flower all effect GABA, but they are pretty short lived effects. Valerian is obviously stronger, and so is Magnolia Bark, but they can make me feel dopey. KAVA must be great, but I never tried a good one before. Taurine is very nice too, but can lower blood sugar, and does not alleviate anxiety the way GABA does for me.
I've tried all of those so I have an idea of what you mean about feeling dopey and how taurine works. My wife especially likes Yogi brand Kava Stress Relief Tea. Some nights it puts here right to sleep. If GABA works I don't see any reason not to keep using it.

I just started using 10mg Pregnenolone/5mg DHEA/1mg Androsterone and I've had muscles that hurt because they hadn't relaxed in so long. I hope you can find the same effect whether with GABA or otherwise.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I've tried all of those so I have an idea of what you mean about feeling dopey and how taurine works. My wife especially likes Yogi brand Kava Stress Relief Tea. Some nights it puts here right to sleep. If GABA works I don't see any reason not to keep using it.

I just started using 10mg Pregnenolone/5mg DHEA/1mg Androsterone and I've had muscles that hurt because they hadn't relaxed in so long. I hope you can find the same effect whether with GABA or otherwise.

Yeah, that is another issue for me, always Low Testosterone, so my DHT is low, and have no steroids augmenting my own. The oral GABA is helping me cut back on binge drinking.

LuMonty

Yeah, that is another issue for me, always Low Testosterone, so my DHT is low, and have no steroids augmenting my own. The oral GABA is helping me cut back on binge drinking.
I also find biotin very relaxing though it can lower blood sugar like taurine. Biotin has several great effects, but one of them is to signal the leydig cells to produce testosterone. Also helps convert T4 in the liver into T3. I've been using very high dose biotin for 2 weeks and can tentatively recommend it.

I can't remember for sure and you've probably posted about it, but why not try low dose preg/DHEA, etc?

If you're just looking for stuff that can mimic the effects of alcohol/drinking, L-theanine/theanine seems pretty similar in my experience without needing too much.

Lithium orotate is also possibly an anti-depressant for some, among with some other stuff I've read.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

If you're just looking for stuff that can mimic the effects of alcohol/drinking, L-theanine/theanine seems pretty similar in my experience without needing too much.

Lithium orotate is also possibly an anti-depressant for some, among with some other stuff I've read.

Yeah I get some Theanine in my Theanine Serene product. It helps too. My thing is that I want to correct the brain chemistry that drove the drinking (alcohol is a GABA and Dopamine thing).

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I also find biotin very relaxing though it can lower blood sugar like taurine. Biotin has several great effects, but one of them is to signal the leydig cells to produce testosterone. Also helps convert T4 in the liver into T3. I've been using very high dose biotin for 2 weeks and can tentatively recommend it.

I can't remember for sure and you've probably posted about it, but why not try low dose preg/DHEA, etc?

Pregame alone can be amazing and it can also be robotic. Very inconsistent for me

LuMonty

Pregame alone can be amazing and it can also be robotic. Very inconsistent for me
I know what you mean. If go over 10mg it's bad news. It seems more consistent for me when I add 1mg androsterone but as always YMMV.

I took oral gaba supplement for first time last night and feel like a new human today.

Got better sleep last night, felt calm and have 0 negative thoughts today!

I've tried all of the gaba producing stuff Ray recommends (niacinamide salt etc etc) and it all pales in comparison to actual GABA for me so far.

I do have leaky gut according to Dr, so maybe this is why it works so well for me. (Crossing BBB easier)

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I took oral gaba supplement for first time last night and feel like a new human today.

Got better sleep last night, felt calm and have 0 negative thoughts today!

I've tried all of the gaba producing stuff Ray recommends (niacinamide salt etc etc) and it all pales in comparison to actual GABA for me so far.

I do have leaky gut according to Dr, so maybe this is why it works so well for me. (Crossing BBB easier)
There is definitely something to be commended about oral GABA. Perhaps it turns into Glutamate and then crosses the brain, and turns into GABA via the shunt. GABA is too large of a molecule to pass freely. Nobody truly knows, but it also had an effect for me. Too much made me anhedonic and low affect.