Question About Lipolysis

x-ray peat

This question has bugged me for a while. I understand why Ray wants to keep lipolysis down as it releases fatty acids which is unhealthful. But what I dont understand is how you can ever lower body fat or excess adipose tissue if you are purposely inhibiting lipolysis. Would you not just get more and more fat if you never burn these fat stores at a normal rate?

Lejeboca

I remember
This question has bugged me for a while. I understand why Ray wants to keep lipolysis down as it releases fatty acids which is unhealthful. But what I dont understand is how you can ever lower body fat or excess adipose tissue if you are purposely inhibiting lipolysis. Would you not just get more and more fat if you never burn these fat stores at a normal rate?

I remember Ray saying in a couple of radio interviews that muscles burn fat, which is their normal metabolism. (I cannot dig out the the exact quote now, sorry.) So I've assumed that one gets rid of fat by gaining lean muscle mass. And I am interested too about (other) ways to burn fat, as I am puzzled too.

SOMO

Starvation Mode is a myth, but rapid weight loss can definitely affect metabolism negatively.

1. Some amount of lipolysis or fatty acid oxidation is occurring at all times.

2. As long as one is keeping dietary fat down below 50g a day and exercising lightly and not overeating, SLOW but SUSTAINED weight loss will occur in most people. If you have more than 20 lbs to lose, I think limiting fat intake is warranted, but don't torture yourself unless you're willing to risk a "Rebound" in the form of a binge or other unhealthy habits.

3. I think the bigger issue is that people want to lose 10 pounds in a week or two weeks, which may simply be too fast for the metabolism to handle.

4. Losing Weight slows metabolism. This is likely a preventative measure to mitigate damage to cells and preserve muscle mass, as well as to avoid malnutrition.

5. Burning enough energy to lose those 10 pounds RAPIDLY (less than a week) well as the inevitable PUFA/FFA release into the bloodstream has a significant inhibitory effect on weight loss past those first 10 lbs (of which most is likely to be water-weight.) Meaning even if you do achieve rapid weight loss, further weight loss will be more difficult.

From personal experience, weight loss should be slow, consistent and sustained vs RAPID.
Rapid weight loss may cause temporary metabolic damage, and slow weight loss is often "permanent" weight loss (meaning it's actual fat mass and water weight vs losing muscle.)

Which is more important to you: losing weight quickly or losing it safely?

Lejeboca

Thanks for the thoughts @SOMO . Makes sense to me.

Which is more important to you: losing weight quickly or losing it safely?

For me the key word here is "losing". I often find myself gaining weight nowadays, when I eat Peat-friendly diet and taken certain supplements.
I read in this forum that @Joeyd, e.g., has similar experience and that he took dopamine supplements to revert the "gaining" part. @Joeyd , please, correct/add here as you feel appropriate.

fradon

it is impossible not to burn fat or release fatty acids at some point...even sleeping eventaully the body does tap into the fat reservees.

from some of the PEAT ARTICLES its mostly oxidized fat that causes all the problems. so vitamin E protects fatty from oxidizing and vitamin C protects vitamin E....so i've been eating pecans with some vitamin C tablet.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

it is impossible not to burn fat or release fatty acids at some point...even sleeping eventaully the body does tap into the fat reservees.

from some of the PEAT ARTICLES its mostly oxidized fat that causes all the problems. so vitamin E protects fatty from oxidizing and vitamin C protects vitamin E....so i've been eating pecans with some vitamin C tablet.
My question was more about his recommendation of using aspirin and niacinamide to lower the FFA release as opposed to protecting from its effects after its release with Vitamin E. From what Ive been reading, I think Ray wants to keep the FFA release low enough for the liver to handle its detox without being overwhelmed. Some have claimed that after about 4 years on a non PUFA diet the FFA release will be low enough that you dont need the FFA inhibitors anymore.

Anyone feel free to correct me if this isnt right.

Last edited:

Zigzag

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but what's the mechanism of burning fat if it's not the lipolysis. How am i suppossed to lose "fat" in a healthy way if not by inducing lipolysis intentionally?

redsun

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but what's the mechanism of burning fat if it's not the lipolysis. How am i suppossed to lose "fat" in a healthy way if not by inducing lipolysis intentionally?

You are always oxidizing fat at all times. The muscles and heart preferentially burn fat. Muscles use glycogen when moving but at rest use fat. The issue is increasing lipolysis does not automatically increase beta oxidation(the actual burning of the fat). Things like caffeine increases lipolysis and increase beta oxidation. Building muscle mass will make you oxidize more fat at rest.

"Obese individuals have elevated catecholamines, lipolysis and circulating free fatty acids, but no increase in the oxidation of the fats, hence metabolic syndrome. "

Hormones And Fat Loss

SOMO

You’re confused/misunderstand the difference between LIPOLYSIS and FAT OXIDATION.

They are not the same thing.

They usually happen in tandem, but they can occur separately/independently of each other. One is not reliant on the other.

I would go as far as to say Lipolysis is bad, but FAO is good.

I asked this question on Danny Roddy’s podcast with Kyle Mamounis.