Question about Cyproheptadine

Maniek1300

Why after taking 1 mg of Cyproheptadine at night in the morning I cannot recover. I'm so sleepy and lethargic for the rest of the day.

yashi

I remember haidut saying in a podcast with danny roddy that it can also be taken in the afternoon already and can avoid the bad mornings for some people. (I.e. a few hours before bed, not right before). But I guess you'll have to experiment and see if you don't get too sleepy. If you search for cyproheptadine on these forums you will find some people saying they pushed through this and it stopped after a while.

Last edited:
sometimes, you are better off taking 4 mg twice in a row, such as in the evening and the next evening, and it builds up in your body and you don’t need to take much more. It could be less sleep inducing this way.

CoconutEffect

sometimes, you are better off taking 4 mg twice in a row, such as in the evening and the next evening, and it builds up in your body and you don’t need to take much more. It could be less sleep inducing this way.
Do you have a source for Cypro building up?
I remember haidut saying in a podcast with danny roddy that it can also be taken in the afternoon already and can avoid the bad mornings for some people. (I.e. a few hours before bed, not right before). But I guess you'll have to experiment and see if you don't get too sleepy. If you search for cyproheptadine on these forums you will find some people saying they pushed through this and it stopped after a while.
I take it in the morning, helps stave off that morning stress.

Stilgar

Why after taking 1 mg of Cyproheptadine at night in the morning I cannot recover. I'm so sleepy and lethargic for the rest of the day.
For me, this effect wears off after prolonged use. I’ve been on 2mg for four months and don’t have this zombie effect anymore. It lasted for at least a few days. I repeatedly gave up cypro because of this, and am pleased I put up with it - a lot of coffee was helpful!

Dobbler

Cypro combined with other things is one hell of a sleeping aid. Most recently with bad circadian rhythm i slept from 6 am to 4.30 pm like a baby :D If you have to be sharp in the morning or with not enough sleep, i don't recommend it, but if you don't have to wake up early in a rush, it's pretty good.

tankasnowgod

Dr. Peat has said this and it is my personal experience.

This is my experience as well. When taking just 1 mg, I would still get that zombie like state even after 2-3 weeks of use. After using 4mg a day for three days in a row, I don't get that at all, even going up to higher doses like 8 or 12mg in a day.

This is my experience as well. When taking just 1 mg, I would still get that zombie like state even after 2-3 weeks of use. After using 4mg a day for three days in a row, I don't get that at all, even going up to higher doses like 8 or 12mg in a day.

that's exactly what happened to me. I took 16mg some days and wasn't a zombie anymore (any more than usual, LOL)

Jayvee

This might sound like a stupid question...Is it possible to become dependant on Cyproheptadine? I have Histamine intolerance and it works wonders for me at 0.5mg dose but I haven’t managed to break through the zombie phase yet and keep having to quit to be sharp for work.

Also does anyone know the effects this can have on nuerosteroids? I have PFS and unsure if this is detrimental in anyway long term.

mrchibbs

This might sound like a stupid question...Is it possible to become dependant on Cyproheptadine? I have Histamine intolerance and it works wonders for me at 0.5mg dose but I haven’t managed to break through the zombie phase yet and keep having to quit to be sharp for work.

Also does anyone know the effects this can have on nuerosteroids? I have PFS and unsure if this is detrimental in anyway long term.

Relatively speaking, yes.

If cyproheptadine is the only significant lifestyle/nutritional intervention you're taking to remedy your problems, histamines and serotonin levels will rebound a few days after stopping its use.

However, it can also be a powerful way to stop a negative cycle of stress hormones which has lasted for a long time. Ray is pretty healthy, and for him, just taking it for a few days can have a lasting therapeutic effect without much rebound.

It remains a drug and therefore is probably only really useful for people who are truly sick, and it may be better to taper off.

I think it can be life-saving for people in a bad downward spiral of stress, but there are safer ways to reduce serotonin/histamine for individuals with more benign problems.

AlaskaJono

I found that I had to experiment with dosage to find the right place. For me 1mg (1/4 pill) does nothing. 2mg seems to work for sleep aid, and I also have some seasonal (pollen) allergies, on and off. The serotonin lowering effect in the gut is also useful as occasionally we eat "out" and if there is bad oil or strange ingredients it is helpful to alleviate inflammation. I have found that on some mornings I have a bit of a sleepy disposition, but after coffee and an hour, mostly I am fine. My wife has found that 0.5 mg - 0.75 mg is her perfect dosage. Though I have never taken large dosages as others here have to instigate a regularity in dosage, I would not count that out in your experimentation. But first try a slightly lower dosage for a few days. One dosage at a particular mg may not be indicative for you in the long run.
Best regards.

Jayvee

Thanks @mrchibbs @AlaskaJono for such detailed answers, really appreciate it.

I think my biggest concern would be, can the rebound cause bigger issues for someone with a histamine intolerance? Does blocking Histamine cause greater sensitivities?

I have zero doubt of its effectiveness I have had some really good benefits from dabbling with it and doing doses 0.5mg or less and it massively improves my ability to eat dairy.

I wonder if it would help histamine intolerance? I’m assuming the route cause of histamine issues stems from gut and if so isn’t one of Cyprus benefits improving the gut?

mrchibbs

Thanks @mrchibbs @AlaskaJono for such detailed answers, really appreciate it.

I think my biggest concern would be, can the rebound cause bigger issues for someone with a histamine intolerance? Does blocking Histamine cause greater sensitivities?

I have zero doubt of its effectiveness I have had some really good benefits from dabbling with it and doing doses 0.5mg or less and it massively improves my ability to eat dairy.

I wonder if it would help histamine intolerance? I’m assuming the route cause of histamine issues stems from gut and if so isn’t one of Cyprus benefits improving the gut?

It does help reduce excess histamine yes. But it can be tricky to stop using it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals