Queen Anne’s Lace

Does anyone have any advice on Using Queen Anne’s Lace/Wild Carrot to prevent pregnancy?

I have been using FAM & Queen Anne's Lace Tincture successfully as my only means of birth control for almost a year now; at intervals after unprotected sex, typically 3 times daily for 3-5 days as an implantation inhibitor. It is recommended if using in this rhythm to take it & remove it for it to be effective.

I have regular cycles; some more than others have experienced PMS; I’m certain that I ovulate as I track the changes in my temperature, & I can see when I have ovulated.

Is Queen Anne’s Lace ok to be using; could it be causing things like cyclical vaginal dryness & itching & what can I do about this?

QAL makes the womb slippery which prevents implantation, & some articles reference it works by temporarily blocking progesterone..... Depending on the rhythm it is used; some use it to prevent or to aid conception Queen Anne's Lace: Wild Carrot

Has Dr Ray Peat ever referenced Herbal Birth Control & Does anyone have more advice or experience on working with Queen Anne/ Safety etc? :)

"In the 1930s, it was demonstrated that estrogen, even in small doses, produced abortions, and that when it is given early enough, even a very small dose will prevent implantation of the fertilized embryo. Progesterone was known, by the early 1940s, to protect against the many toxic effects of estrogen, including abortion, but it was also known as nature's contraceptive, since it can prevent pregnancy without harmful side-effects, by different mechanisms, including prevention of sperm entry into the uterus. That is, progesterone prevents the miscarriages which result from excess estrogen (1,2), but if used before intercourse, it prevents conception, and thus is a true contraceptive, while estrogen is an abortifacient, not a contraceptive." -Ray Peat

OP
CosmicDancer444
"In the 1930s, it was demonstrated that estrogen, even in small doses, produced abortions, and that when it is given early enough, even a very small dose will prevent implantation of the fertilized embryo. Progesterone was known, by the early 1940s, to protect against the many toxic effects of estrogen, including abortion, but it was also known as nature's contraceptive, since it can prevent pregnancy without harmful side-effects, by different mechanisms, including prevention of sperm entry into the uterus. That is, progesterone prevents the miscarriages which result from excess estrogen (1,2), but if used before intercourse, it prevents conception, and thus is a true contraceptive, while estrogen is an abortifacient, not a contraceptive." -Ray Peat
Thank you for sharing this. I am definitely aware of the negative effects of Estrogen on the body especially in excess/ not in balance with Progesterone.
I have always said I would never ever go on the contraceptive pill, so when I discovered an ancient herb that can aid in contraception I was more for it - Almost not questioning anything about hormones because I thought well it’s just a herb; commonly not even used for contraception but to treat a myriad of other health issues. I was so convinced that QAL doesn’t class as hormonal birth control because it’s essentially a carrot; a wild ancestor of our modern carrot.
I have never known of Progesterone for contraception or how to use it in that correct rhythm so I will look into it Thank you!
Also I think because I have become familiar with QAL I am almost scared to not use it; I really don’t know what to do or where to go from here.
Some Interactions of Wild Carrot are outlined here but there aren’t as many sources as for marketed drugs >Wild Carrot: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Uses, Dose & Precautions

“EstrogenRating: Moderate
Large amounts of wild carrot might have some of the same effects as estrogen. But wild carrot isn't as strong as estrogen pills.”

QAL must be a small herbal dosage mimicking Estrogen to act as an implantation inhibitor... & if perhaps mimicking birth control could be causing me issues just as any regular birth control does?... e.g. imbalancing vaginal flora.

Attachments

• Daucus-carota-Monograph-FINAL-SMALL.pdf
    564.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
CosmicDancer444
I still use FAM & the herb to accompany around potentially fertilising intercourse. I experience all basal body temperature shifts, cervical mucus & position changes, PMS, ovulation & everything I would in any normal cycle, so is it possible that if this may only slightly mimic Estrogen or inhibit progesterone it is not impacting me negatively & any health issues I experience I don’t need to worry about it being caused from this?

freyasam

I knew women who used QAL years ago, but I'd also be wary of estrogenic effects.
My suggestion would be to use FAM to know your fertile days very well (as you are already), and simply avoid sex on any fertile or questionable days. There are ways to be intimate without penetrative vaginal sex.
I don't trust any contraception on fertile days. But that's my personal opinion.

OP
CosmicDancer444
I knew women who used QAL years ago, but I'd also be wary of estrogenic effects.
My suggestion would be to use FAM to know your fertile days very well (as you are already), and simply avoid sex on any fertile or questionable days. There are ways to be intimate without penetrative vaginal sex.
I don't trust any contraception on fertile days. But that's my personal opinion.
Thank you for your reply!
Some articles like this Using Queen Anne’s Lace to Manage Fertility — Molly Dutton-Kenny Say:
“Queen Anne's Lace is not a contraceptive (as it does not prevent ovulation, ejaculation, fertilization, or conception ). Nor is Queen Anne’s Lace an abortive (as it does not disrupt an early pregnancy that is already well established and healthy). Rather, it disrupts normal hormonal shifts in the body that would enhance and develop healthy endometrial lining for a pregnancy to implant. It makes the uterus inhospitable to grow a pregnancy.”
But here: wild carrot
“Pulsing a dose of Carrot eight hours after intercourse (not before this time window) may increase relative progesterone levels. With no additional immediate pulse of Carrot, the body may experience a relative drop in progesterone when Carrot is withdrawn, translating in the body as a poor time for an embryo to implant in the uterine lining.”
I just don’t think how it works is fully understood or even studied in real depth in Scientific literature...So as you can imagine I’m confused; different sources say different things.
But I agree & FAM we know is 100% safe because nothing is being altered at all.

If you are using the wrong kind of kind progesterone it could be problematic. Here is a link to my Progesterone thread, it is loaded with information and people who can answer your questions better. Read through it so you know that you are on the right path.

OP
CosmicDancer444
If you are using the wrong kind of kind progesterone it could be problematic. Here is a link to my Progesterone thread, it is loaded with information and people who can answer your questions better. Read through it so you know that you are on the right path.
Thank you very much for sharing this!

OP
CosmicDancer444
So what do people think? Is QAL safe to use? Queen Anne's Lace - Wild Carrot Seed

Thank you very much for sharing this!

I put dozens of Ray Peat quotes throughout so you will be getting good advice straight from the doc!

LUH 3417

Progesterone has also been used as a birth control method, katharina dalton mentions a protocol in her book once a month. You would dose progesterone all through your cycle, starting with a lower dose and going up at ovulation.

OP
CosmicDancer444
Progesterone has also been used as a birth control method, katharina dalton mentions a protocol in her book once a month. You would dose progesterone all through your cycle, starting with a lower dose and going up at ovulation.
I have literally come across Dr Katharina Dalton & her book just the other day but I have no idea where I have read about it now; In Dr Ray Peat’s articles or elsewhere... If you have a link to any please link!

LUH 3417

I have literally come across Dr Katharina Dalton & her book just the other day but I have no idea where I have read about it now; In Dr Ray Peat’s articles or elsewhere... If you have a link to any please link

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
CosmicDancer444
What do people think of this?

“There is scientific disagreement as to whether Queen Anne’s Lace has primarily estrogenic properties, or if she works more with progesterone. There is also conflict as to whether the introduction or the withdrawal of Queen Anne’s Lace is the key to her efficacy, and what the ideal timing is.

What seems to be true is this: she is not a daily contraceptive, she needs to be introduced, and then withdrawn, surrounding a specific potentially fertilizing event, on a specific schedule.

Queen Anne’s Lace, in whatever manner who choose to work with it, should be used surrounding a potentially fertilizing event:

Optimally, in three doses:

1st dose: 8-12 hours surrounding potential fertilization

2nd dose: 8ish hours after the first dose

3rd dose: 8ish hours after send dose

Then stop.”

Reference: Workshops — Molly Dutton-Kenny

So does anyone know if QAL is Estrogenic or not?

& Could it cause Vaginal dryness, itching & irritation? & if so is there a any way to relieve or lessen or completely stop this? Using Queen Anne's Lace seeds as contraception

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals