Purpose Of Colon (inc. Appendix)

dfspcc20

From the Peat point of view, what is the purpose of the colon (large intestine)? Just to remove water and whatever nutrients the small intestine missed?

The conventional view also lists one of its functions is to produce certain nutrients (namely vitamin K and some B vitamins), via fermentation from gut bacteria. Since the Peat view is that we'd essentially be better off w/o bacteria in the intestine, this function would be moot.

Also, the appendix. The conventional view is that it stores "reserve" bacteria, to repopulate the colon after infection/diarrhea. W/o need for bacteria, it would see it is pretty much worthless.

I'm not necessarily trying to disagree and cause conflict. Just trying to understand the body better.

tara

The conventional view also lists one of its functions is to produce certain nutrients (namely vitamin K and some B vitamins), via fermentation from gut bacteria. Since the Peat view is that we'd essentially be better off w/o bacteria in the intestine, this function would be moot.
He's specifically mentioned that it's important to have a good source of vit K when one takes antibiotics. I figure he probably assumes most other people will have microbes doing this for them.

Also, the appendix. The conventional view is that it stores "reserve" bacteria, to repopulate the colon after infection/diarrhea. W/o need for bacteria, it would see it is pretty much worthless.
I don't think so. Peat has recognised that there can be important differences between more and less favourable microbiotic populations in the gut. For instance, he says people with troublesome gut flora (not necessarily everyone) should avoid starch. Even if Peat does often recommend tactics to reduce bacterial load (eg carrot salad routinely, activated charcoal, anti-biotics occasionally), I've never seen him suggest that people normally attempt to maintain a completely sterile gut, or deny that there can be some real nasties out (in) there.

From personal experience of campylobacter, I'm very glad I had some other life forms to eventually recolonise.

To my mind, there's a big difference between lowering bacterial numbers, and maintaining a constantly sterile gut. I think Peat routinely recommends the former, which still allows the gut to kee p performing it's other roles.
He's also said (paraphrasing) it's more complicated than is currently understood.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

To my mind, there's a big difference between lowering bacterial numbers, and maintaining a constantly sterile gut. I think Peat routinely recommends the former, which still allows the gut to kee p performing it's other roles.

I agree.

I was mostly trying to come to terms with a positive, pro-metabolic effect I had from anti-biotics recently. That, and Haidut and others on this forum seem to be on the side of keeping the entire digestive tract as sterile as possible, which got me thinking about this question.

tara

I was mostly trying to come to terms with a positive, pro-metabolic effect I had from anti-biotics recently.
Massively reduced endotoxin load could be part of that.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals