Purifying amino acid powder?

richofden

Forum Supporter
Hey there, I´ve been thinking of how to purify amino acid powders from Heavy Metals and other stuff. Is this possible? Maybe boil it with sugar and water? does this method make the waste fall to the bottom of the pot? Thanks in advance.

Hey there, I´ve been thinking of how to purify amino acid powders from Heavy Metals and other stuff. Is this possible? Maybe boil it with sugar and water? does this method make the waste fall to the bottom of the pot? Thanks in advance.
I don't know anything about amino acid powder, but Ray Peat talks about heavy metals being lower in coffee drinkers because of the coffee making method, so maybe try that, filtering it through a coffee filter with hot water?

I don't know anything about amino acid powder, but Ray Peat talks about heavy metals being lower in coffee drinkers because of the coffee making method, so maybe try that, filtering it through a coffee filter with hot water?
I am gonna give it a try myself with MSM and collagen hydrolysate.

Which brand(s) of Amino Acids are you using? I am thinking of switching entirely to AjiPure Amino Acids. They are apparently USP "Pharmaceutical Grade". I've already been using AjiPure Glycine with quite remarkable results. The challenge becomes finding products that are bulk products only and not in capsules (which implies fillers (read: "rice flour") and excipients/flow agents (read: "magnesium stearate").

Once you get pharamaceutical grade aminos, do you still need to purify them? I don't think so, but maybe I am missing something.

OP
R

richofden

Forum Supporter
Which brand(s) of Amino Acids are you using? I am thinking of switching entirely to AjiPure Amino Acids. They are apparently USP "Pharmaceutical Grade". I've already been using AjiPure Glycine with quite remarkable results. The challenge becomes finding products that are bulk products only and not in capsules (which implies fillers (read: "rice flour") and excipients/flow agents (read: "magnesium stearate").

Once you get pharamaceutical grade aminos, do you still need to purify them? I don't think so, but maybe I am missing something.
Yeah, I use some fancy brands like Pure Encapsulations atm, but actually used Swansons back in the beginning of all this, and this is like 7-8 years ago, and did pretty good on those ones, but this was also the ketotimes, so... anyway, they use Ajipure, so you might be on to something. For instance I took this one %%OGTAGTITLE%% , and I felt pretty good with it, although it does contain both Carnitine and NAC which is not Peaty. Do you know of any good sellers of Ajipure in Europe?, Cause apparantly Swanson´s range is pretty limited. Thanks for replying man!

OP
R

richofden

Forum Supporter
Never mind with Swanson, they use silicon dioxide.

Last edited:
Pure Encapsulations is notorious for using fillers in their products. Case in point:

1626141314486.png

What the *$#@ is "hypoallergenic plant fiber" is doing in my supplement? To bulk it up?

I am trying to source pure AjiPure powders, not capsules.

I tried to place an order with Sigma Aldrich this weekend only to be rejected this morning:

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that your order has been canceled "Consume them and check bloodwork."

For more information, please refer to our Terms and Conditions page located at http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/help-welcome/ordering-product/terms-and-conditions-of-sale.html#acceptance.

Millipore-Sigma products are intended primarily for research and development applications only. The majority of them are not made under GMP conditions and not approved to be used in food, cosmetics, and medicines.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,
Justin

I will keep you posted when I succeed in getting pure AjiPure Amino Powders. It must be possible to succeed at this. I might have to start my own mom&pop supplement company like haidut...lol.

OP
R

richofden

Forum Supporter
Pure Encapsulations is notorious for using fillers in their products. Case in point:

View attachment 25299

What the *$#@ is "hypoallergenic plant fiber" is doing in my supplement? To bulk it up?

I am trying to source pure AjiPure powders, not capsules.

I tried to place an order with Sigma Aldrich this weekend only to be rejected this morning:

I will keep you posted when I succeed in getting pure AjiPure Amino Powders. It must be possible to succeed at this. I might have to start my own mom&pop supplement company like haidut...lol.
Would be freaking awesome to find a pure product like Ajipure. I´m on the search too, so ditto on posting if I find something. So why did Sigma Aldrich reject? cause your´re not a supp company?

Would be freaking awesome to find a pure product like Ajipure. I´m on the search too, so ditto on posting if I find something. So why did Sigma Aldrich reject? cause your´re not a supp company?

Ostensibly they rejected my order because I told them I planned on consuming it. I only ordered a product which was already graded USP (United States Pharmacopoeia), EP (European Pharmacopoeia) and JP (Japanese Pharmacopoeia).

Which leads me to believe I committed some other faux pas when trying to order from a chemical company. Everyone knows these products are going into supplements. But perhaps there's some secret code phrase you're supposed to use when ordering. Not sure. ?‍♂️

@richofden

Success! After quite a bit of searching, phone calls, being snubbed, stalking company employees on LinkedIn, etc, I finally found a little webpage that sells direct to consumer Ajinomoto Amino Acids in "small pack" (1 kg) sizes:

AjiAminoAcids - AjiAminoAcids

1626550014971.png

Here's what the packaging looks like for L-Lysine HCl:

1626549888248.png

I ordered on July 13th and it arrived on July 17th. I'm on the east coast USA and it shipped from Raleigh, NC.
I have no financial affiliation with this company. I'm just a snob when it comes to quality and purity and Ajinomoto appears to have the best reputation.

OP
R

richofden

Forum Supporter
@richofden

Success! After quite a bit of searching, phone calls, being snubbed, stalking company employees on LinkedIn, etc, I finally found a little webpage that sells direct to consumer Ajinomoto Amino Acids in "small pack" (1 kg) sizes:

AjiAminoAcids - AjiAminoAcids

View attachment 25474

Here's what the packaging looks like for L-Lysine HCl:

View attachment 25473

I ordered on July 13th and it arrived on July 17th. I'm on the east coast USA and it shipped from Raleigh, NC.
I have no financial affiliation with this company. I'm just a snob when it comes to quality and purity and Ajinomoto appears to have the best reputation.
Great find.., you snob :) So, what´s the verdict? I presume you´ve ingested it since you received it.

Great find.., you snob :) So, what´s the verdict? I presume you´ve ingested it since you received it.

I haven't tried it yet. I only ordered 2 so far. I'm looking to build up to 6 essential amino acids (omitting the 2 that are pro-serotinergic or inflammatory: Tryptophan and Methionine):

L-Lysine
L-Phenylalanine
L-Threonine
L-Leucine
L-Isoleucine
L-Valine

More is discussed on why those 6 in this thread: Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

I'm very careful about what new stuff I try each month so I can better attribute the effects (or lack thereof) unambiguously. Right now, I'm looking to schedule this new blend of amino acids sometime in the late fall of this year (2021).

OP
R

richofden

Forum Supporter
I haven't tried it yet. I only ordered 2 so far. I'm looking to build up to 6 essential amino acids (omitting the 2 that are pro-serotinergic or inflammatory: Tryptophan and Methionine):

L-Lysine
L-Phenylalanine
L-Threonine
L-Leucine
L-Isoleucine
L-Valine

More is discussed on why those 6 in this thread: Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

I'm very careful about what new stuff I try each month so I can better attribute the effects (or lack thereof) unambiguously. Right now, I'm looking to schedule this new blend of amino acids sometime in the late fall of this year (2021).
Makes total sense, thanks again for the find. Please keep me/us updated. And I´ll get back if I have some insights or questions on this topic.