PureBulk Niacinamide Giving Me Diarrhea / Brain Fog / Weird Farts?

FredSonoma

I recently got PureBulk Niacinamide and I'm pretty sure it is giving me diarrhea / brain fog / and weird farts. I really liked the calmness it gave me so I'm pretty sad about this :(

Any idea why this is happening? To put it in better context, I have troubles with a lot of foods - starch, inulin (onion, broccoli), polyols (apples, peaches), and I also get the same problem with pasteurized honey (but not with raw honey). Same thing with raw milk vs. normal milk. Something about cooking sugars makes it mess up my stomach.

montmorency

How much are you taking?
And why specifically, are you taking it?

Anyway, FWIW, I'd suggest niacin (as nicotinic acid), rather than niacinamide. Start low to adjust to the flush, but gradually, you should be able to take about 3g (grams) per day, in divided doses over the day. cf. "Niacin: The Real Story", by Hoffer, Saul, and Foster. This advice is somewhat contrary to the received wisdom on this forum, but I'm not aware of anyone on this forum with the expertise and reputation of Dr Hoffer, and even Ray speaks somewhat positively about him.

I take easily that much (of nicotinic acid) and sometimes more, and don't get the symptoms you describe, although of course, our diets may be totally different. I used to use the Solgar gelcaps until I noticed the fillers, and now I make my own gelcaps from pure nicotinic acid powder.
(I also take l-ascorbic acid (as the pure powder, in water), which is another thing Hoffer recommended).

Nicotinic acid, aka niacin, aka vitamin B3 should give you the same feeling of calmness, plus it has blood-lipid normalization properties and other good things.

The problems with foods are a different issue I guess, and it makes sense to avoid the problem ones, unless or until you can find some generic cause and try to eliminate it.

Good luck.

OP
F

FredSonoma

montmorency said:
post 102573 How much are you taking?
And why specifically, are you taking it?

Anyway, FWIW, I'd suggest niacin (as nicotinic acid), rather than niacinamide. Start low to adjust to the flush, but gradually, you should be able to take about 3g (grams) per day, in divided doses over the day. cf. "Niacin: The Real Story", by Hoffer, Saul, and Foster. This advice is somewhat contrary to the received wisdom on this forum, but I'm not aware of anyone on this forum with the expertise and reputation of Dr Hoffer, and even Ray speaks somewhat positively about him.

I take easily that much (of nicotinic acid) and sometimes more, and don't get the symptoms you describe, although of course, our diets may be totally different. I used to use the Solgar gelcaps until I noticed the fillers, and now I make my own gelcaps from pure nicotinic acid powder.
(I also take l-ascorbic acid (as the pure powder, in water), which is another thing Hoffer recommended).

Nicotinic acid, aka niacin, aka vitamin B3 should give you the same feeling of calmness, plus it has blood-lipid normalization properties and other good things.

The problems with foods are a different issue I guess, and it makes sense to avoid the problem ones, unless or until you can find some generic cause and try to eliminate it.

Good luck.

Okay thanks! I'm currently trying rubbing dissolved Niacinamide on my skin but I'm not sure if it's doing anything haha, will try the niacin if this doesn't work!

I'm not sure exactly why I'm taking it - partly because I <3 Haidut and he recommends it, but also because recently I get really anxious when I eat too much sugar and I think it helps with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

milk_lover

FredSonoma said:
post 102575 Okay thanks! I'm currently trying rubbing dissolved Niacinamide on my skin but I'm not sure if it's doing anything haha, will try the niacin if this doesn't work!

I'm not sure exactly why I'm taking it - partly because I <3 Haidut and he recommends it, but also because recently I get really anxious when I eat too much sugar and I think it helps with that?
I am interested in supplementing Niacinamide because of haidut like you :lol: I need to first educate myself about it. I will probably dedicate next week reading studies, Ray Peat articles, and the forum posts. We don't have those cool supplements in my country sadly like probably the one you used.

Giraffe

Haidut wrote that plain niacin increases serotonin and histamine. Read here post 22275.