Pulse Raises More With Starch Than Sugars

Jsaute21

any others that find this to be true? I know Matt stone is an advocate for this. I do well with fruits/sugars unless I over hydrate. However, the warmest I get is after a starch meal with adequately protein. I know peat is against starch but l am a big believer in listening to the body. Thoughts? @Orion @haidut @DaveFoster @sladerunner69 and others.

Makrosky

any others that find this to be true? I know Matt stone is an advocate for this. I do well with fruits/sugars unless I over hydrate. However, the warmest I get is after a starch meal with adequately protein. I know peat is against starch but l am a big believer in listening to the body. Thoughts? @Orion @haidut @DaveFoster @sladerunner69 and others.
You are a candidate for exploring @Westside PUFAs posts :)

And if you feel better with starch, I would follow your inner guidance system. You know your body better than Ray does. Don't you ?

Last edited:

paymanz

I ask because some fruits usually come with poor quality and some acid in them which irritate body.and also those acids inhibit sugar digestion.

But with foods you mentioned probably its not the case.

Orion

What kind of starch and protein, and how long after do your temps rise? Seed starch and muscle meat are very good at raising insulin, which will then cause a cortisol/adrenaline reaction to stabilize blood sugar from insulin driving it down, this could be where your heat comes from.

Just an example but I have pure fructose, taking just a few tablespoons mixed in juice will make me heat up and sweat with no activity.

InChristAlone

I have noticed starch in the morning to be the very best thing to cause a blood glucose drop and anxiety. Sugars and protein do not. If you do starches best to do them after morning hrs when cortisol is high and insulin sensitivity is the greatest.

DaveFoster

Ray thinks it's due to sympathetic activation.

It's also probably in part to do with the rapid absorption of starch and lack of water. Potatoes also are nutritious, so if you're eating a nutrient-dense starch, you're getting nutrients.

Brian

Lots of people have poor liver function when in suboptimal health so sucrose/fructose won't yield much energy production. You can't process fructose optimally without good liver function and you can't have good liver function with low cellular energy production.

In my opinion and experience starch may be a more optimal fuel for many people to increase metabolism initially to get cortisol down, but you definitely need to salivate it extremely well in order to increase contact with amylase or else you may get very bad endotoxin production which could greatly decrease the amount of energy you can extract from it and further decrease liver function.

Serotonin and endotoxin antagonists might be very helpful at first if you are eating a starch based diet, such as cypro, DHT, vitamins A/D, or resistance training and standing lifestyle to increase DHT.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jsaute21

I need to get DHT tested. I dont imagine its low as i am fairly muscular but i am certainly "functionally hypo". (Low Pulse & Temp.) I take all of IDEALABS Fat solubles, which work well. How does one truly know if liver function is good? I got some tests done and my enymes were not remotely elevated. See below for full panel of results. Interested to hear some feedback.

F Glucose 84 70-99 (mg/dL)
F Urea Nitrogen 25 H 6-20 (mg/dL)
F Creatinine 1.0 0.5-1.2 (mg/dL)
F GFR(African American) 114 60-300 (mL/min/1.73 m2)
F GFR(Others) 95 60-300 (mL/min/1.73 m2)
F Sodium 141 136-145 (mEq/L)
F Potassium 4.7 3.5-5.1 (mEq/L)
F Chloride 101 98-107 (mEq/L)
F CO2 28 23-31 (mEq/L)
F Anion Gap 17 8-20 (mEq/L)
F Calcium 9.8 8.4-10.5 (mg/dL)
F Total Protein 6.8 6.0-8.3 (gm/dL)
F Albumin 4.8 3.5-4.8 (gm/dL)
F AST (SGOT) 36 14-54 (IU/L)
F ALT (SGPT) 31 11-51 (IU/L)
F Alkaline Phos 55 40-129 (IU/L)
F Total Bilirubin 0.2 0.0-1.0 (mg/dL)
F Globulin 2.0 1.7-3.5 (gm/dL)
- Globulin reported is a calculated value.
F A/G Ratio 2.4 1.4-2.6
F BUN/Creat Ratio 25 H 10-20
Report: 201610250049
PERFORMING LAB: HealthLab, 25 N Winfield Road, Winfield, IL, 60190
Result: Normal Accession ID: 720821
Notes: Blood sugar, kidney function, electrolytes, and liver enzymes are normal.,Your fasting glucose (blood sugar) test checks for your risk for developing diabetes. It was normal (normal is less than 100; we consider someone to have diabetes if it is above 126 with symptoms).,Please disregard any value flagged as abnormal but not mentioned in the note. This result is not significant and of no concern.

Brian

Subjectively, I'd say a pretty good proxy for liver function is thriving on sucrose/fructose. Get warm and stay warm, feel consistently great/euphoric on it. I personally wasn't able to do that until eating huge amounts of starch and exercising, while focusing on magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper and fat soluble intake.

Now I can do fine on large amounts of fructose, but I still prefer taste wise that a large part of my carbs come from salty starch.

OP
J

Jsaute21

That is interesting @Brian. I would say i am in an oddly similar boat to what you were. I feel phenomenal after i workout and a salty starch/protein meal. (In which i also try and include sugar.) I stay warm for 3 hours and am a focused bull at work. However, when adhering to mainly sugars both from fruits & Cane sugar, i don't feel quite as sharp. I will keep tinkering around.

Brian

That is interesting @Brian. I would say i am in an oddly similar boat to what you were. I feel phenomenal after i workout and a salty starch/protein meal. (In which i also try and include sugar.) I stay warm for 3 hours and am a focused bull at work. However, when adhering to mainly sugars both from fruits & Cane sugar, i don't feel quite as sharp. I will keep tinkering around.

I think it's also possible that some people just do better on starch for various reasons. It could be ancestral adaptations that decrease the capacity for processing fructose, or a higher demand for glycogen/starch from weight lifting or a similar muscle glycogen depleting activity, probably other things too.

OP
J

Jsaute21

The latter would make a tremendous amount of sense for me. Do you take thyroid if you dont mind me asking @Brian?

Fractality

Well boiled potatoes (even with skin on) with butter and ample amounts of garlic salt warm me up like nothing else.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Same here. I get in to high 80's after that meal. Add corn beef hash in and its close to 90, which is un chartered with me.

Brian

The latter would make a tremendous amount of sense for me. Do you take thyroid if you dont mind me asking @Brian?

No, I don't. I've experimented a little with it, but I think in many cases its better to just find calorie sources that you process well in large amounts and then work on mineralizing the body with magnesium and zinc in particular. No sense in stepping on the gas pedal if the minerals aren't there IMO.

OP
J

Jsaute21

If one is to indulge in starch, is it best to include fructose or sucrose with the starch as well?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals