Pulmonary Fibrosis?

BrianF

So my old man has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and been told there's not much they can do for him. I can't really accept that. Not in my nature.

I recall taurine works against fibrosis. Anyone got any other suggestions? Id be very grateful for them.

Thanks

tara

Ideonaut

So my old man has been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and been told there's not much they can do for him. I can't really accept that. Not in my nature.

I recall taurine works against fibrosis. Anyone got any other suggestions? Id be very grateful for them.

Thanks
Was there something in his background you think might have caused it?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Thanks

Antagonists of the receptor 5-HT2B have been shown to reverse it. Pfizer has a drug called "terguride" in clinical trials and it looks like it is successful so far but any other chemical with antagonist action on 5-HT2B should work as well.
Terguride - Wikipedia

These other drugs include cyproheptadine, lisuride (a cousin of terguride), ketanserin, metergoline, ritanserin, etc. Btw, it looks like any antagonist on the entire 5-HT2 family should work as the studies below found benefit from antagonist on 5-HT2A, and 5-HT2C. I would not be surprised if even 5-HT3 antagonists like ondansetron work as those drugs have also shown potent anti-fibrotic effects in animal models and some human studied.
Increased expression of 5-hydroxytryptamine2A/B receptors in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a rationale for therapeutic intervention. - PubMed - NCBI
The antifibrotic effects of alveolar macrophages 5-HT2C receptors blockade on bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis | Thorax
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/438403/

OP
B

BrianF

Was there something in his background you think might have caused it?
He never smoked but worked in construction all his days. However tests showed no asbestosis or even general dust.

He's had stomach issues his entire life, had ruptured eppendix as a kid and nearly died, lived in the backwaters of Ireland. Hair fell out in chunks when thathappened and only 15 years old. Apart from that, nothing abnormal.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Sorry about your father's diagnosis, I would be sure to review serotonin antagonists closely, there is a strong body of evidence their.

I also know someone who was recently diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and I'm trying to understand it better.

Is pulmonary fibrosis considered by the mainstream to be a genetic condition similar to cystic fibrosis?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just saw this study on mice showing that Red Light protected against lung fibrosis.

Photobiomodulation therapy improves both inflammatory and fibrotic parameters in experimental model of lung fibrosis in mice.

Abstract:

Lung fibrosis (LF) is a chronic and progressive lung disease characterized by pulmonary parenchyma progressive lesion, inflammatory infiltration, and interstitial fibrosis. It is developed by excessive collagen deposition and other cellular matrix components, resulting in severe changes in the alveolar architecture. Considering the absence of effective treatment, the aim of this study was to investigate the effect of photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT) on the development of PF. For this purpose, we used C57BL6 mice subjected to induction of LF by bleomycin administration (1.5 U/kg) by orotracheal route and, after 14 days of the induction, mice were treated with PBMT applied to the thorax 1×/day for 8 days (wavelength 660 ± 20 nm, power 100 mW, radiant exposure 5 J/cm2, irradiance 33.3 mW/cm2, spot size 2.8cm2, total energy 15 J, time of irradiation: 150 s) and inflammatory and fibrotic parameters were evaluated with or without PBMT.

Our results showed that PBMT significantly reduced the number of inflammatory cells in the alveolar space, collagen production, interstitial thickening, and static and dynamic pulmonary elastance. In addition, we observed reduced levels of IL-6 e CXCL1/KC released by pneumocytes in culture as well as reduced level of CXCL1/KC released by fibroblasts in culture.

We can conclude that the PBMT improves both inflammatory and fibrotic parameters showing a promising therapy which is economical and has no side effects.

tara

Arrade

Considering radioactive iodine increases the risk and mortality of pulmonary fibrosis, and selenium deficiency is cited in fibromyalgia,
I think it is worth looking into the iodine protocol
(12.5 mg iodine and 200 mcg selenium daily)

Both of those minerals lower fibrosis and estrogen, estrogen lowering concurrently lowering serotonin

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals