PUFAs are real cause of skin aging

Blossom

Forum Supporter
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!! There's no better way to get people to change than through beauty and appearance unfortunately. That's the way most things are marketed. Such a refreshing change to read an article like this. I wish I had read it in my 20's! Awesome Peata.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'm glad Peat's ideas are getting out there too. I see resistance to consideration of them on some forums and comments in blogs, but at least it's "knocking on their door" for if/when they are ready to investigate further.

What I've learned from Peat goes against so much of what we've been taught pretty much our whole lives.

For example, pre-Peat, I had drilled into me that the following were "bad" -
sugar
saturated fat
salt
most dairy, especially milk (depending who I was reading)
orange juice (any juice was supposed to be bad for blood sugars)
potatoes (supposedly a "junk" veg that was too carby)

Had always heard the following were "good" -
whole grains
nuts & seeds
vegetable oils
soy products

All that is now flipped upside down.

The improved appearance aspect of getting hormones aligned and gut health in check is very appealing to me. For better or worse, I just know when I look good I feel good and the other way around too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It was refreshing to read and I used to have the same beliefs you describe. I think that's pretty mainstream dogma. Even if I didn't feel so much better I would know this approach was working just by looking in the mirror. It is nice to look as good as you feel and it's also nice when people think you are younger than you really are!

dannibo

The Real Cause of Skin Aging
Why polyunsaturated oils are the REAL cause of skin aging—and how they make you look older, saggier and wrinklier (plus what to do about it!)

By Michelle Villett in Skincare Tips on 02/17/2014

How the Oils In Your Diet Are Aging Your Skin
This article is correct only missing one thing PUFAs are Essential for skin integrity however they must be organic ,cold pressed and not the adulterated , hydrogenated supermarket poisons.

docall18

This article is correct only missing one thing PUFAs are Essential for skin integrity however they must be organic ,cold pressed and not the adulterated , hydrogenated supermarket poisons.
A lot of Ray Peats work concerns the ill effects and non-essentiality of pufa. He has mentioned hydrogenation does lessen the toxicity of pufa's.

So completely opposite to your comments.

tankasnowgod

I think Fred Kummerow is a good example of this. He ate the more saturated fats in an effort to avoid "Trans Fats," but that (wise) move of focusing on things like tallow, butter, and coconut oil also means he avoided the high PUFA fats. In this clip, he is over 100, but his skin still looks really good.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSfMPeZuCsw&t=36s

I don't think the replacement of "Trans Fats" with linoleic acid has made things better, personally. The best strategy is still to avoid all the high PUFA oils.

dannibo

A lot of Ray Peats work concerns the ill effects and non-essentiality of pufa. He has mentioned hydrogenation does lessen the toxicity of pufa's.

So completely opposite to your comments.
Mr Peat has no knowledge of pufas. He assumes too much. Hydrogenated processed pufas are poison to all living creatures, they are basically a form of plastic and that plastic is incorporated into the cell membrane,, preventing cellular oxygenation among other things and eventually disintegrating to form amyloid plaque.

Last edited:

dannibo

None of the seed oils in supermarkets are hydrogenated, except margarine
When you make a statement as you did. All seed oils sold in supermarkets are processed, chemically treated and hydrogenated. All of them.

tankasnowgod

Mr Peat has no knowledge of pufas. He assumes too much. Hydrogenated processed pufas are poison to all living creatures, they are basically a form of plastic and that plastic is incorporated into the cell membrane,, preventing cellular oxygenation among other things and eventually disintegrating to form amyloid plaque.
It's weird you say Peat has "no knowledge of PUFAs," while then displaying a healthy lack of knowledge about both hydrogenation and the saturation of fatty acids.

If they were "hydrogenated," then they would have fewer double bonds, and wouldn't be PUFA anymore. Since Linoleic Acid is far and away the most common PUFA found in things like corn, soybean, canola and other supermarket oils, and seeing as it only has two double bonds, the result of hydrogenation would be higher MUFA (cis or trans, hence the idea of "trans fats") or Saturated Fat, namely Stearic Acid.
When you make a statement as you did. All seed oils sold in supermarkets are processed, chemically treated and hydrogenated. All of them.
Processed and chemically treated, sure. Hydrogenated? No. The vast majority are not. If so, they would be solid or semi-solid. Just like the demonstration in this video-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7oZMxda18&t=4s

Really, it's in the names. "Saturated" means the carbon chain is fully saturated with hydrogen. Unsaturated means there is one or more double bonds in the chain, meaning it is not fully saturated with hydrogen. "Hydrogenation" is the process of adding more hydrogen atoms to the chain.

dannibo

It beggars beief that anyone in their right mind would consider this propaganda bunkum even for a second.

dannibo

It's nothing to do with "propaganda." It's you not understanding what "hydrogenation" is.
I understand exactly what hydrogenation is and the process they use to achieve it. However if you think that adding a few hydrogen Atoms and moving them on the chains to a different position doesn't change the chemical structure then you need more biochemistry lessons.

tankasnowgod

I understand exactly what hydrogenation is and the process they use to achieve it.
It doesn't seem like you do.
However if you think that adding a few hydrogen Atoms and moving them on the chains to a different position doesn't change the chemical structure then you need more biochemistry lessons.
I mean, it obviously DOES change the chemical structure, and I never claimed otherwise. In fact, I talked over and over about how specifically the chemical structure was changed by hydrogenation- changing PUFAs into MUFA or SFA. By adding hydrogens and removing double bonds. But turning PUFA into MUFAs (including trans fats) or Stearic Acid doesn't mean you are making "plastic." The change in structure is what turns the oil from a liquid into a more solid form at the same temperature. It would be more like butter, lard, or Crisco.

I don't know what you mean by "moving them on the chains." The only place hydrogen atoms can go is where there are double bonds on the chains.

You also don't seem to understand that any oil that has been "hydrogenated" to any degree will have less PUFA than non-hydrogenated oil.

artist

I definitely think for the superficial wrinkling pufa avoidance helps a lot. I am 33 w no fine lines at all and I’ve been avoiding pufa since I was 24. Had to do other things to bump up skin thickness and hydration though and I recently found small amounts of fish and borage oils helped with that. A sense of proportion about fats is good I think

dannibo

It doesn't seem like you do.

I mean, it obviously DOES change the chemical structure, and I never claimed otherwise. In fact, I talked over and over about how specifically the chemical structure was changed by hydrogenation- changing PUFAs into MUFA or SFA. By adding hydrogens and removing double bonds. But turning PUFA into MUFAs (including trans fats) or Stearic Acid doesn't mean you are making "plastic." The change in structure is what turns the oil from a liquid into a more solid form at the same temperature. It would be more like butter, lard, or Crisco.

I don't know what you mean by "moving them on the chains." The only place hydrogen atoms can go is where there are double bonds on the chains.

You also don't seem to understand that any oil that has been "hydrogenated" to any degree will have less PUFA than non-hydrogenated oil.
I believe you believe the propaganda and bull from wannabe scientists who guess and lie consistently. I can't even understand your thinking. It seems to go round and round on the same axis.

tankasnowgod

I believe you believe the propaganda and bull from wannabe scientists who guess and lie consistently.
Not "wannabe" scientists. But, actual scientists. People have done hydrogenation experiments on their own-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdDWA9-DSY

And, in the lab-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsSO2CT3hks

And the results are always the same.... the fat becomes more solid. Which is the logical conclusion, based on what we know about saturated and unsaturated fats in the real world.

This Khan Academy video does a nice job of explaining the differences, and even talks about the tendencies of being liquid or solid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lL2KStW9s&t=2s

So independent labs, Khan Academy, the dictionary people, and food makers like Cargill are all lying about the process of "hydrogenation," since it obviously makes oils into liquids at room temperature, since that was your original claim. This is why your claim doesn't make any sense.

I can't even understand your thinking.
Not surprising. You don't even understand the dictionary definition of hydrogenation.

Manufacturers will even explicitly state whether an oil has been hydrogenated or not. Look on a bottle of Mazola or Wesson, and they both say "Non-Hydrogenated." Look at the ingredients of Crisco, and you will see both "fully hydrogenated" and "partial hydrogenated" oils listed. And the product of each is exactly what you would expect.... Wesson and Mazola are translucent liquids at room temperature, indicating they weren't hydrogenated. And Crisco is similar in consistency to lard or butter, suggesting that some of the oils used were hydrogenated.

You are so ridiculously off base here. I'm impressed that you keep on doubling down, when you haven't offered a single shred of evidence to back up your position, and I have offered basically everything, from hydrogenation experiments, dictionary definitions, and quoting specific manufacturers labels. I'm just wondering if you will ever admit you were wrong, or offer even one tiny piece of evidence to back up your claim. I won't hold my breath on either.

dannibo

Not "wannabe" scientists. But, actual scientists. People have done hydrogenation experiments on their own-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqdDWA9-DSY

And, in the lab-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsSO2CT3hks

And the results are always the same.... the fat becomes more solid. Which is the logical conclusion, based on what we know about saturated and unsaturated fats in the real world.

This Khan Academy video does a nice job of explaining the differences, and even talks about the tendencies of being liquid or solid.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lL2KStW9s&t=2s

So independent labs, Khan Academy, the dictionary people, and food makers like Cargill are all lying about the process of "hydrogenation," since it obviously makes oils into liquids at room temperature, since that was your original claim. This is why your claim doesn't make any sense.

Not surprising. You don't even understand the dictionary definition of hydrogenation.

Manufacturers will even explicitly state whether an oil has been hydrogenated or not. Look on a bottle of Mazola or Wesson, and they both say "Non-Hydrogenated." Look at the ingredients of Crisco, and you will see both "fully hydrogenated" and "partial hydrogenated" oils listed. And the product of each is exactly what you would expect.... Wesson and Mazola are translucent liquids at room temperature, indicating they weren't hydrogenated. And Crisco is similar in consistency to lard or butter, suggesting that some of the oils used were hydrogenated.

You are so ridiculously off base here. I'm impressed that you keep on doubling down, when you haven't offered a single shred of evidence to back up your position, and I have offered basically everything, from hydrogenation experiments, dictionary definitions, and quoting specific manufacturers labels. I'm just wondering if you will ever admit you were wrong, or offer even one tiny piece of evidence to back up your claim. I won't hold my breath on either.

Absolute bull****! You believe this bollocks and youre lost. Hydrogenated oils are TOXIC to all animal life. Besides this fking pharma site refuses to upload scientific papers.Ray fking Peat!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals