PUFA Vs Sucrose Vs Starch Rat Study

Travis

I read this study called: Overnutrition in Spiny Mice: β-cell Expansion Leading to Rupture and Overt Diabetes On Fat-Rich Diet and Protective Energy Wasting Elevation in Thyroid Hormone on Sucrose-Rich Diet

I got a free trial of DeepDyve that lets me read studies, and this one cannot be found for free elsewhere. For this reason, I'll see if I can upload it piecemeal with screenshots:

rat.png

rat2.png

rat3.png
rat4.png
rat5.png
rat6.png
rat7.png
rat8.png
rat9.png
rat10.png

OP
Travis

Travis

rat11.png
rat12.png
rat13.png
rat14.png
rat.png
rat2.png
rat3.png
rat4.png
rat5.png
rat6.png

OP
Travis

Travis

It's an interesting study because it shows the antithyroid and diabetic effects of seed oils. All three groups ate the same calories, but the PUFA group weighed about twice as much after 18 months and had a higher blood insulin level.

The Ray Peat article Glucose and sucrose for diabetes touches on this aspect of unsaturated fatty acids and the unnecessary villainization of sucrose in diabetes.

schultz

Thank you Travis.

I just skimmed it so far, I will have read it carefully when I have time. Some interesting things though. They noted the high T3 in the sucrose group. Sucrose group had lower bodyweight than control and fat group. High fat diet had high trigs (which people associate normally with sugar), lower T3, higher insulin, higher serum glucose.

If people eat a lot of simple sugar, which lacks micros, and also increases thyroid activity, you could see how this might cause some problems.

Interesting that the trigs in the sucrose group start high then go down over time whereas the fat group does the reverse, starts lower and goes up over time.

Last edited:
OP
Travis

Travis

They gave the spiny rats vitamins in all groups.

They sacrificed rats at intervals, but besides those, many more of the high-fat rats died! They died a terrible PUFA death!

I'm not recommending a diet with 50% sucrose, but this study destroys the simplistic idea that (dietary sugar)=diabetes.

It also destroys the idea that calories=(weight gain). Simply by eating an isocaloric amount of fat nearly doubled the weight of the mice.

The article is a bit long, but you won't miss out much by simply examining the tables. The data is good but the authors not so much. Throughout much of the text they are simply restating the data in the charts. It would have been a better article had Ray Peat written it.

They even talk about Na⁺/K⁺ ATPase in this article. Gilbert Ling would not approve.

Below is a spiny rat.
220px-Hoplomys_gymnurus2.jpg

Last edited:

Wagner83

Thanks.
What do we have in common with rats in terms of how we digest and metabolize foods though?

OP
Travis

Travis

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals