PUFA (omega-7 Unsaturated Fatty Acids) Cause Of 'old People Smell'

ALS

What Causes Older Individuals to Smell Differently?

According to a study published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, an increase of 2-nonenal is directly associated with aging. 2-nonenal is a chemical compound that is produced when omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded through oxidation. Around age 40 in both men and women, the skin begins producing more fatty acids as its natural antioxidant defenses begin to deteriorate. Hormonal changes like menopause can contribute to this chemical process as well.

As the skin grows weaker, its natural oils oxidize more quickly, producing 2-nonenal. Because it isn’t water soluble, 2-nonenal can remain on the skin despite thorough washing. Therefore, the smell persists on the body and on fabrics, even in extremely clean environments. Why Do Old People Smell Differently? - AgingCare.com

Rasaari

After my first month on peating, my sweat stopped smelling. It used to remind of vinegar smell. Because of this I tried some ALCAR (1200mg), which increases long-chain fatty-acid burning, and I hadn't eaten any fat before, so should have been burning fat stores. I sweat a bit more that day and the smell definitely increased, to a point where one would have to use deodorant.

Last edited:
OP
ALS

ALS

Persimmon and green tea soap gets rid of the smell, according to the article. Thanks for the info on ALCAR.

Mauritio

That's interesting. Me and my sister always hated to visit my grandma in the elderly home ,because of that smell! At least now I know why ?

CastorTroy

Maybe avoiding high omega-7 containing foods like macadamia nuts should help to slowdown accumulation on skin?

JamesGatz

Yesterday I went for a walk to this Cemetery not TOO FAR from my house - once I got really close to the cemetery I started feeling HORRENDOUSLY BAD - very hypometabolic - it was DEFINITELY the cemetery causing this feeling

I don't think I smelled anything specific though - my sense of smell is very strong (I smell LITERALLY EVERYTHING) and I am familiar with the "old man smell" but Yea I didn't smell "death" but I do believe being around dead people may be REALLY harmful for Health

I already did know that being around sick people made me feel 'sicker' and that being around healthy people made me feel healthier but it was interesting to see even when someone dies AND IS BURIED their presence still had that effect on me