PUFA Offset Tactics

BrianF

Currently working long days and bringing a frozen microwave meal to work for lunch for both practicality and financial reasons. I dont like microwaves but if I bought something nearby in the city centre, it would most likely be microwaved to reheat and also laden with PUFA anyway. No matter how 'healthy' and 'hipstery' the purveyors might claim it to be..

I take great care in choosing the options with least amount of preservatives, PUFA and other nasties, but I can't source any that are completely PUFA-free. So I have been opening the frozen packet and slipping a large spoonful of coconut oil into the frozen contents prior to microwaving it, in order to off-set the PUFA to some degree.

So guys and gals, good idea or wasting my time?

Interested to get some feedback...

Sobieski

Why don't you prepare a simple cheap meal yourself, to reheat later? Rice and a small amount of lean meat for example is infinitely better than any packaged crap.

OP
B

BrianF

Why don't you prepare a simple cheap meal yourself, to reheat later? Rice and a small amount of lean meat for example is infinitely better than any packaged crap.

I get up in the morning, make my breakfast, get dressed, feed my baby, put my baby on the potty, wipe my babies ****, dump the potty in the tiolet, clean the potty, come downstairs and dress the baby... then I hit London rush hour commute traffic.... but you're correct, I would be better off making my own meal... I just don't have the time.

johnwester130

it's the proportion of them in your diet to fight against, not their presence.
To answer you, adding coconut oil to food is the most sensible thing you can do and is exactly what you should do

Vitamin E

Coconut oil

Niacinamide

Aspirin

Selenium from shellfish

P5p/zinc

Magnesium oil/taurine as a topical liquid too

Will all fight off the PUFA

Sobieski

I get up in the morning, make my breakfast, get dressed, feed my baby, put my baby on the potty, wipe my babies ****, dump the potty in the tiolet, clean the potty, come downstairs and dress the baby... then I hit London rush hour commute traffic.... but you're correct, I would be better off making my own meal... I just don't have the time.

Some rice and cooked meat is like 5-10 mins total hands on time. I think that small investment is worth it for your own health and well being as opposed to buying cancerous crap and buying supplements no one needs! Just trying to help but I wish you well on your journey.

OP
B

BrianF

Well guys, you're probably correct... I should get my **** out of bed 10 minutes earlier and get that rice on!

With coconut oil in it, of course...

OP
B

BrianF

Some rice and cooked meat is like 5-10 mins total hands on time. I think that small investment is worth it for your own health and well being as opposed to buying cancerous crap and buying supplements no one needs! Just trying to help but I wish you well on your journey.
Thanks dude

CLASH

Cane sugar soda instead of rice, raw carrots, cooked meat with coconut oil, beef tallow and/or butter. Eat greens on the weekends. Cooking meat takes 10 minutes tops. Put 1lb of Cooked meat in container with peeled carrots on the side. Bring soda containers, you have 4 meals right there in under 10 min. No PUFA. All protein, fat, carb and fiber requirements met. Maybe use cheese too if it agrees with you for calcium and some other minerals. You can use shrimp or scallops to break it up. Do liver on the weekend. If oj agrees with you substitute for soda or do both. Makes it almost as easy as microwave meals.

Sunny Jack

Perhaps you could cook two large potatoes the night before, then microwave them at work the next day with some cheese?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Some things I often take to eat at work when I'm pressed for time:
Hard boiled eggs
Cheese/ cottage cheese
Juice
Coca Cola
Dark chocolate
Honey and a spoon
Milk (in a 3 cup mason jar collagen, sugar and instant coffee added)

biffbelvin

I usually cook more for supper, in order to have the rest of a supper as my next days lunch. Maybe it could be a good decision for you too, @BrianF ?

This is how i make it work. It's easier to cook dinner in much bigger batches and then dish out lunch for the next (two) days.

I usually cook around 2kg of potatoes to eat over a few days. Add salt, a dash of vinegar and a tablespoon of coconut and they're delicious cold or reheated.

Luckytype

I too argue for the batch cook. Buy a rice cooker and a crockpot. Throw all things in that you want, turn on go about your day or go to bed, its hard to overcook and you can then portion and freeze or fridge. As long as there is moisture youre good to go. Literally just dump stuff in add moisture and turn it on, hell you can do it while wiping a babys **** and your own ****.

Carry things like fruit and coco oil in a jar or container, cokes, honey etc like everyone says

If your concern is health and not whether its palatable or not you could freeze and carry and by the time it defrosts in your bag its ready to eat. But im not sure whats more important.

You can quite literally cook anything in a crockpot

schultz

Is there some reason you can't prepare it the night before?

then I hit London rush hour commute traffic....

Here's your first problem lol. I used to work and live in Toronto near the 401 (a very busy hwy) and I thought "what the hell am I doing? Do I want to do this forever?". Now I live in the country and work from home.

How do you make rice in 10 minutes? I would love to be able to do this!

I think he was saying 5-10 minutes of handling time, not actual cooking time.

Lilac

A few more ideas, because sometimes cheese, eggs, and milk just don't seem like a square meal:

Boiled shrimp, refrigerated. Portion out cocktail sauce and lemon wedges to accompany.

I used to occasionally have smoked Alaskan wild salmon. (I know--not very Peaty.)

Big batch of chicken or beef soup or beef stew, portioned and frozen. Start defrosting the night before in the refrigerator, or whatever works, so you only have to heat at work, not defrost.

Once in a while in town buy a (freshly roasted) roast beef sandwich and discard the bread.

Maybe rethink the microwave meals. Plastic wrap, questionable ingredients, heavy microwaving needed.

Good luck!

Glassy

When I travel for work I find a supermarket in the city and buy a tub of cottage cheese, some OJ (which I add some hydrolysed collagen powder to) and some sliced cheese from the deli section. It’s harder to avoid PUFA at dinner but I make a choice of something that doesn’t have easily identifiable PUFAs and then dose up on oral vit E when I get back to the hotel. It’s good to bring your own but sometimes you get caught out and so it’s a good idea to have strategy to get buy on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom