PUFA Is Made Specifically For Photosynthesis

Luann

The origin of PUFA is the FAD2 and FAD6 oleate desaturases in the E.R. and chloroplasts of photosynthetic plants, rotifers, and algae. Plants store much of their polyunsaturated fat in their leaves and stem, though fruits also photosynthesize and do contain chloroplasts with polyunsaturated acids. Plastids of other kinds, like the amyloplasts in tubers, have PUFA but in smaller percents in the cell. It seems that FAD2 and -2 are most active in the areas of organisms that get energy from light.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/234-1766.pdf

http://plankt.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/7/1355.full.pdf

Trienoic fatty acids are required to maintain chloroplast function at low temperatures. - PubMed - NCBI

Polyunsaturated membranes are required for photosynthetic competence in a mutant of Arabidopsis. - PubMed - NCBI

They are also the coldest parts...

OP
Luann

Luann

Cold stress and salt stress tolerance are both attributed to the production of PUFA in the plant, in some studies, but sucrose will help with those, whereas PUFA is the limiting factor in photosynthesis (read the last link).

Melanin can convert light energy...

OP
Luann

Luann

Melanin does not convert light to ATP, so it's not an autotrophic process.

Lipofuscion looks like it's mostly found in animals that are exposed to the unsaturated fats in a plant, so it's not the same as the product of photosynthesis in the plants.

Last edited:

lvysaur

Melanin can convert light energy...

All pigments convert light energy to heat, I'm pretty certain melanin is no different.

I developed lipofuscin spots on my hairline after starting krill oil. They started coming in after about 6 months of taking them.

All pigments convert light energy to heat, I'm pretty certain melanin is no different.

I developed lipofuscin spots on my hairline after starting krill oil. They started coming in after about 6 months of taking them.

I think it can convert it to electronic energy or something... I'll have to check

Ideonaut

Not to be negative, but "so what?" to all of the above. Any health knowledge ramifications?

I cancelled my subscription to Science News many years ago when often there wasn't ***t of import to read in it. One issue included an article about the number of ants that fall out of trees.

Tenacity

Not to be negative, but "so what?" to all of the above. Any health knowledge ramifications?

I cancelled my subscription to Science News many years ago when often there wasn't ***t of import to read in it. One issue included an article about the number of ants that fall out of trees.

Perhaps this knowledge isn't applicable to health just yet. Knowledge is inherently valuable. Newton knew nothing of future ramifications when he detailed gravity - the technology just wasn't there. But now we use that knowledge for all sorts of things.

Or maybe it does have present-day implications. It's interesting either way.

Amazoniac

That's because when you subscribed, you left all fields marked because your intention back then was to unravel the universe by embracing everything at once..

Back
Top Bottom