PUFA in ice cream

jaakkima

Hello,

I've been eating about 48 oz of ice cream daily, which has been going down very well and has been the most digestion-friendly way for me to get dairy/calcium, but I am concerned about how much PUFA I'm ingesting, from the egg yolk mostly I suppose... Here's the brand and flavor: http://www.threetwinsicecream.com/icecr ... ar-vanilla
So, about 12 servings of it daily lately. They don't give the pufa datum but based on my mathematical estimates the highest it might be is probably about 1.5g per serving. So I may be eating 18g of pufa daily through ice cream. Should I be concerned and try to cut down soon? Or is there another factor I should consider? I am also using AC Grace vitamin E.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks for the push, I have decided to start making my own ice cream today. I just checked Haagen Dazs and its around 12 grams of unsaturated fat per 14 ounces. That stinks!!!!

OP
J

jaakkima

What's CLA?

RP recommends limiting eggs, to limit pufa. There's a good deal of egg yolk in ice cream.

dukez07

If RP is okay with Haagen Daaz, maybe just stick to that and not bother with any other brands? I mean, it's going to be made primarily from dairy cream, so, in terms of lipid profiles it's going to be highest in saturated, moderate in monounsaturated and quite low in PUFA. You guys trust RP with a hell of a lot, so I'm pretty sure he's done his homework with this particular ice cream (no hidden nasties - trans fats, etc). Unless anyone here knows different? I'm a NOOOOB.

mt_dreams

The brand listed above has Peat friendly ingredients, so if you feel compelled to purchase ice cream, it's a nice choice. Even better than Haagen daaz imo due to the fact the above brand is organic, and contains no fillers. 6 cups (48oz) of the above mentioned ice cream product would supply you with 144g of fat, with roughly only 4.5g being PUFA. If you can't tolerate milk & fresh cheeses, then ice cream will work in getting those nutrients, but it seems taking in that much cream on a daily basis will supply you with more PUFA than you would want.

Keep in mind that even though it's organic, the cows are probably still eating grains which will increase it's PUFA content. If you have access to grass fed milk, you'd do a great service to your health to learn to make your own fresh cheeses & ice cream, it's pretty easy when you get down to it and has much less PUFA compared to grain feed dairy.