PUFA In Bacon

stressucks

Bacon is one of my favorite foods. I eat it often and cook with the fat.

I'm getting into PEATing and I realize that it's potential bad for two reasons:
1) PUFA
2) High Phosphate/Low Calcium

How much PUFA is in bacon and how bad is bacon?

All my other meat is grassfed.

BaconBits

Dont forget the nitrites. Especially if you burn your bacon the nitrites will transform directly into toxic nitrosamines.

4peatssake

I think the recommendation is to refry it in coconut oil to remove PUFA.

According to nutritiondata, a single slice of bacon has:
Total Omega-3 fatty acids
16.0 mg

Total Omega-6 fatty acids
15.5 mg

Phosphorus
42.6 mg

Nutriondata

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said under 4 grams is protective against cancer.

1 slice has ""Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g."" So with 5 slices of bacon you are halfway to 4 grams.

BaconBits

4peatssake said:

16.0 mg

15.5 mg

Phosphorus
42.6 mg

Nutriondata

Well USDA has a standard data that pork fat is 10% PUFA. But I think Paul Jaminet researched that and the real number is something like >40% is PUFA for pigs from modern industrial farms.

So multiply your numbers with 4x.

tigerlily96

Interesting, I feel bacon is the one thing I can't give up. Although will only eat organic and grass fed.

Birdie

As somebody else said, Ray advised cooking it part way. Then, you drain the fat. Then you add coconut oil and continue cooking.

He also said that orange juice would take care of the nitrites in cured bacon. But we use the uncured from Costco now.

I bake it on a rack in the oven while I exercise in the morning. At 20 minutes, I scrape off any fat pools on it and add coconut oil. Continue baking in oven and continue exercise. Good enough for me.

Tastes great with the coconut oil !

tigerlily96

Birdie said:
As somebody else said, Ray advised cooking it part way. Then, you drain the fat. Then you add coconut oil and continue cooking.

He also said that orange juice would take care of the nitrites in cured bacon. But we use the uncured from Costco now.

I bake it on a rack in the oven while I exercise in the morning. At 20 minutes, I scrape off any fat pools on it and add coconut oil. Continue baking in oven and continue exercise. Good enough for me.

Tastes great with the coconut oil !

Yes, I try to do this, apart from when I'm starving and just drain the fat and forgo the coconut oil :oops: :oops:

Birdie

So funny, tiger lily !

schultz

BaconBits said:
4peatssake said:

16.0 mg

15.5 mg

Phosphorus
42.6 mg

Nutriondata

Well USDA has a standard data that pork fat is 10% PUFA. But I think Paul Jaminet researched that and the real number is something like >40% is PUFA for pigs from modern industrial farms.

So multiply your numbers with 4x.

BaconBits brings up a good point.

The USDA data for lard is based on older data.

Read this...

http://www.researchdiets.com/blog/lard- ... ile-update

This company makes rat pellets for use in study. They analyzed the lard and realized that it was as high as 29% PUFA. Canola oil is 28% PUFA...

Quote from the site...

When customers have asked about the fatty acid profile of our DIO series diets, we previously used fatty acid data from the USDA Nutrient Database to calculate the fatty acid profile of diets containing lard. While we believed these data to be accurate to a degree, lard is from an animal source and since we know that what the pigs are fed can potentially affect the composition of their fat, it is to be expected that there will be some variability in the lard.

InChristAlone

You can tell how much the fat is saturated when you take it out of the fridge and it is either really smushy/greasy or semi solid almost like beef fat. I've had really good bacon that was more hard.

Be aware usually uncured bacon still has nitrates... in the form of celery powder which is naturally high in nitrates.

I think that requires some caution, you can find different fats with similar degrees of saturation which however are still harder or easier to keep solid.

InChristAlone

Yes I mean Lard is always going to be a solid in the fridge and even at 80 degrees it can be mushy instead of liquid, but since I've eaten a lot of bacon both commercial and local pasture raised and I have noticed differences in how the fat feels at 34 degrees F. The pasture raised have always been more hard... maybe they were just more fresh could also be the case, maybe they weren't pumped full of liquids.. could also be the case. I don't know.

pone

Yes I mean Lard is always going to be a solid in the fridge and even at 80 degrees it can be mushy instead of liquid, but since I've eaten a lot of bacon both commercial and local pasture raised and I have noticed differences in how the fat feels at 34 degrees F. The pasture raised have always been more hard... maybe they were just more fresh could also be the case, maybe they weren't pumped full of liquids.. could also be the case. I don't know.

Be careful because most of the pasture raised pork I have found still gets 50% of its calories from grains and things like acorn, all high in PUFA Omega-6.

I have yet to find a single pig farmer that really gets this issue and tries to find alternate starches that have little omega-6. Maybe something like tapioca would work well?