PUFA Has Greater Anti-epileptic Effect Than SFA In Ketogenic Diet According To Study

Kingpinguin

Differential Metabolic Effects of Saturated Versus Polyunsaturated Fats in Ketogenic Diets

Changes in serum β-hydroxybutyrate, insulin sensitivity (SI), and lipid profiles were measured. Mean circulating β-hydroxybutyrate levels increased 8.4 mg/dl in the POLY group (P = 0.0004), compared with 3.1 mg/dl in the SAT group (P = 0.07).

beta-Hydroxybutyric acid - Wikipedia

In epilepsy patients on the ketogenic diet, blood β-hydroxybutyrate levels correlate best with degree of seizure control. The threshold for optimal anticonvulsant effect appears to be approximately 4 mmol/L.[11]

Our data demonstrate that short-term administration of a diet high in polyunsaturated fats induces a greater level of ketosis and improves SI without negatively affecting total or LDL cholesterol levels, compared with a traditional KD high in saturated fats. It has been suggested that the therapeutic efficacy of the KD in patients with epilepsy is related to the level of serum BOHB (20). Our findings indicate that the POLY KD is capable of achieving a level of ketosis greater than that from a traditional SAT KD in humans and are consistent with results obtained in animals (15).

Consistent with these data, we found that a SAT KD, despite being less ketogenic than a POLY KD, induced unfavorable changes in circulating lipids and lipoproteins and did not improve SI. This implies that a POLY KD may be preferable for chronic administration. Consistent with this postulate is a recent report that levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids, notably arachidonate and docosahexanoate, were elevated in sera of patients with epilepsy who were treated with KDs (23). Furthermore, seizure control correlated with circulating concentrations of arachidonate (23).

Anyone know what B S this is?
Not that I’m interested in keto diet, ketosis or high PUFA intake anyhow. But this just goes against what I believe I’ve heard and many other heard. I thought saturated fat was GABAeric and not PUFA.

OP
Kingpinguin

Kingpinguin

The only explanation I can see is that it was only a 4 day study. Since PUFA inhibits glucose metabolism it would result in a more intense faster ketosis thus resulting in higher ketones like beta-hydroxybutyrate.
On top of that the foods choosen for the SFA diet actually seems to have a certain degree of carbohydrates thus preventing keton formation further.
Anyway so my conclusion would be that its the degree of ketosis that actually has an anti-convulsant effect and not the type of fat like I know @haidut mentioned in interviews? If PUFA can cause a greater ketosis thus inducing higher synthesis of anti-epileptic ketones. That would prove it wrong. Then again you could likely say that PUFA will increase estrogen, serotonin, cortisol etc which all have seizure promoting properties. So in the end if you want to do an antiepleptic ketogenic diet SFA is likely safer. As long as you really keep it low carb since ketosis is the driving factor for antiseizure properties.

salvio

It looks that polyunsaturated disappeared from bloodstream during a ketogenic diet:

"The ketogenic diet (KD) is an established treatment for refractory epilepsy, including some inflammation-induced epileptic encephalopathies. In a lipopolysaccharide (LPS)–induced fever model in rats, we found that animals given the KD for 14 days showed less fever and lower proinflammatory cytokine levels than control animals. However, KD rats exhibited a decrease in circulating levels of arachidonic acid and long-chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), suggesting that the anti-inflammatory effect of KD was probably not due to an increase in anti-inflammatory n-3 PUFA derivatives. These properties might be of interest in some conditions such as fever-induced refractory epileptic encephalopathy in school-aged children."