Pufa free kibble for dogs?

catharsis

I used to feed my cat Solid Gold kibble and wet-food. They make wet food with coconut oil and some of their kibble is low in the omega-6 fats and higher in omega-3s. My conclusion looking for PUFA-free food for animals was it is very difficult to find this kind of ready-made low-PUFA food. Look up Solid Gold food and see if some of their dog kibble matches low-PUFA or at least low omega-6 quantities. Making your own dog food can work too if you are very adamant about what your dog eats.

OP
C

conrad0602

I used to feed my cat Solid Gold kibble and wet-food. They make wet food with coconut oil and some of their kibble is low in the omega-6 fats and higher in omega-3s. My conclusion looking for PUFA-free food for animals was it is very difficult to find this kind of ready-made low-PUFA food. Look up Solid Gold food and see if some of their dog kibble matches low-PUFA or at least low omega-6 quantities. Making your own dog food can work too if you are very adamant about what your dog eats.
Thanks for this, I will check out the solid gold. Like the addition of coconut oil in the wet food. I've just been looking through loads of different kibbles and even the really expensive ones have questionable ingredients that seem to disagree with both of my dogs. I'm thinking that it might be easier to find a decent wet food to use as a base and rotating in things like eggs, milk, liver, root veg and some fruits. Hopefully land on something relatively simple and affordable that helps their allergies and overall health ?

noqcks

All the kibbles suck. My wife makes dog food for our dog that consists of rice, peas, carrots, zucchini, beef, chicken.

We get sale meats + vegetables and cook the food in bulk once a month. Throw it all in the freezer and defrost the packages we need for the week.

When we first made the switch to real food, we noticed the dogs coat was much softer than on his kibble diet.

OP
C

conrad0602

All the kibbles suck. My wife makes dog food for our dog that consists of rice, peas, carrots, zucchini, beef, chicken.

We get sale meats + vegetables and cook the food in bulk once a month. Throw it all in the freezer and defrost the packages we need for the week.

When we first made the switch to real food, we noticed the dogs coat was much softer than on his kibble diet.
This does seem like the best way to go. Ive been slowly reducing the kibble and adding meat from making broth and eggs in its place. Using half the amount of kibble now which I am going to try replacing with a simple wet food made up of chicken, beef, tripe mixed in gelatin. Hopefully see a reduction in allergies and indigestion/stomach aches ?

John mcclain

I've 7 yr old German Shepard lives on half a kilo of 18% fat mince n 3 egg yolks n our scraps and is thriving

Fred

There is no such thing as good dry food. I wish this wasn't true. I fed my cats dry food and they BOTH developed urinary tract blockages. If you factor in the pain and expense of surgery/illness, the price per bag goes well over $100. Also, you never really know how much PUFA is in the food, since they only list minimum percentages (including Solid Gold brand), so it could be much higher.
Even though it's about cats, this article is great, and almost everything applies to dog kibble. The last third of the article can be skipped since it's just about getting animals to transition to new types of food:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I have seen some dry dog food that uses chicken fat but that is still high in PUFAs. It is impossible to find the perfect kibble. They almost all have flaxseed. It is expensive but I feed my dog cooked hamburger and rice with a 1/4 cup of kibble. She also get yogurt, gelatin, apples and other fruit. She had seborrheic keratosis that made her skin very flaky. But that is all gone now. I think the better protein helped.

Gawdawg

From what I have heard from pet stores, the pet food industry requires PUFA be included in kibble as an essential ingredient. I've yet to find a PUFA free kibble.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals