PUFA experiences

hibiskus

For some time a few years ago I was mislead in thinking Pufa would be good for me. I thought I would need Omega 3 rich oil for a better brain and healthy heart.
So I was eating regularly a salad with rapeseed oil in the evening. Also I tried to eat fatty fish a lot of times. At this time I often got little inflammed spots at my scalp. I also had a lot fatigue and yawning.
So I never felt any of the alleged benefits. Then I even tried fish oil capsules. From that I got really bad sensations. My heart felt like it was a hole in it. My whole body was feeling tense, I got strange heavy headaches.
I got to the point when I finally realised that this cannot be good.
My physical background is that I am very low weight. I seem unable to gain weight. I think I have some general issue concerning fatty acid metabolism and synthesis.
I am speculating that if I put Pufa in my system it might have a big negative impact on my cell membranes and myelin sheaths.
Nowadays I still get those shock like sensations if I accidentally ingest Pufa.
For example we were invited and they had a salad with walnut oil - shock like feeling. Or getting a roll with flaxseeds in it - the same. Now I also always have to ask people how they fry things and then I have to turn it down if they say sunflower oil. People do not get that I get real problems from it. I know I might be a special case because of general metabolic problems and those immediate reactions on Pufa but after all I think I harmed myself by consuming bigger amounts of Pufa for some time. Does anyone else get immediate reactions from Pufa or has a theory about it?

dukesbobby777

I think we all get shock like sensations if we ingest a big PUFA meal. I know I do, and I guess most here do, as, like me, they are here to build their dietary lives around avoidance of PUFA. If you’re getting that reaction from smaller PUFA meals (or snacks), it’s not a placebo ‘in your head’ type of reaction? I mean, when ingested PUFA is sent straight to storage, to keep it from roaming and doing damage. If you were incredibly polluted with PUFA you would be an extremely sick individual. And that’s usually caused by somebody binging on PUFA over many years/decades. PUFA is a poison, but the body knows how to safeguard it (by sending to storage).

Obviously, in times of stress, when the body is forced to use PUFA as a fuel, that’s when things can become toxic and damaging.

OP
H

hibiskus

I think we all get shock like sensations if we ingest a big PUFA meal. I know I do, and I guess most here do, as, like me, they are here to build their dietary lives around avoidance of PUFA. If you’re getting that reaction from smaller PUFA meals (or snacks), it’s not a placebo ‘in your head’ type of reaction? I mean, when ingested PUFA is sent straight to storage, to keep it from roaming and doing damage. If you were incredibly polluted with PUFA you would be an extremely sick individual. And that’s usually caused by somebody binging on PUFA over many years/decades. PUFA is a poison, but the body knows how to safeguard it (by sending to storage).

Obviously, in times of stress, when the body is forced to use PUFA as a fuel, that’s when things can become toxic and damaging.
Of course it could be some kind of nocebo reaction. But honestly I think it’s the lipid peroxidation that my liver can’t handle. Maybe because my body doesn’t store fat.