PUFA Exacerbate, Saturated Fats (SFA) / Albumin / Calcium Ameliorate COVID-19

haidut

Forum Supporter
A few months ago I posted about a study discussing the role of lipid peroxidation in the COVID-19 pathology. While that study did not make any statements about effects of diet on the disease course/outcome, it did suggest lipid peroxidation blockers such as vitamin E would be therapeutic. Now, we have another study that points the finger straight at dietary PUFA while also vindicating SFA by finding they are directly protective in COVID-19 patients. The beneficial mechanism of action of SFA was by blocking/inhibiting lipolysis, and it is by now well-known that the latter releases mostly PUFA into the bloodstream due to their propensity for storage when acquired through the diet. Furthermore, corroborating the previous study on lipid peroxidation, the one below found that agents that can bind and neutralize PUFA are also therapeutic. Aside from vitamin E, two other such agents are albumin and calcium. I did know about the PUFA neutralizing effects of albumin but did not know about calcium's. When viewed in that context, Peat's recommendation to eat grams of calcium daily now makes perfect sense :):

Furthermore, the study also found that PUFA is responsible for the (often lethal) acute pancreatitis seen in many COVID-19 patients. Given the epidemic of both acute and chronic pancreatitis in the general population (in the absence of COVID-19), apparently we need to look no further than PUFA for its cause(s). And finally, even if the reference above and the study below are not enough to convince you that PUFA are the primary driver of COVID-19, another recent study found that blocking the effects of the inflammatory PUFA metabolites known as leukotrienes, is another potential curative treatment for COVID-19.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(20)34727-2/fulltext
Vijay P. Singh, MBBS, on the Role of Unsaturated Fats in Severe COVID-19

"...Some COVID-19 patients go on to develop severe infection with organ failure, potentially leading to death, and one of the contributing factors appears to be toxicity from the release of stored unsaturated fatty acids (UFAs), according to a small study in Gastroenterology. Vijay P. Singh, MBBS, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, and colleagues retrospectively looked at mortality and dietary and other factors in 15 COVID-19 patients, one of of whom died and seven of whom needed intensive care (ICU group). The rest were discharged home. They found that the ICU group had an early drop in serum calcium and albumin several days before ICU admission. Separately, on analyzing global COVID-19 mortality data and comparing it with 12 risk factors for mortality, they found unsaturated fat intake to be associated with increased mortality. This was based on the dietary fat patterns of 61 countries in the United Nations' Food and Agricultural Organization database. Surprisingly, they found saturated fats to be protective. In experimental studies, UFAs were seen to cause hypocalcemia and hypoalbuminemia. Since calcium and albumin can bind and neutralize UFA toxicity only when given early, this led the investigators to conclude that the simple low-cost intervention of maintaining adequate calcium and albumin levels early in the disease could bind UFAs, reduce injury, and help prevent death."

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So much Peatiness in a single study :angelic:

I know, right? Expect the prices of coconut oil to rise if we experience another lockdown or subsequent "pandemics".

cs3000

A few months ago I posted about a study discussing the role of lipid peroxidation in the COVID-19 pathology. While that study did not make any statements about effects of diet on the disease course/outcome, it did suggest lipid peroxidation blockers such as vitamin E would be therapeutic. Now, we have another study that points the finger straight at dietary PUFA while also vindicating SFA by finding they are directly protective in COVID-19 patients. The beneficial mechanism of action of SFA was by blocking/inhibiting lipolysis, and it is by now well-known that the latter releases mostly PUFA into the bloodstream due to their propensity for storage when acquired through the diet. Furthermore, corroborating the previous study on lipid peroxidation, the one below found that agents that can bind and neutralize PUFA are also therapeutic. Aside from vitamin E, two other such agents are albumin and calcium. I did know about the PUFA neutralizing effects of albumin but did not know about calcium's. When viewed in that context, Peat's recommendation to eat grams of calcium daily now makes perfect sense :):

Furthermore, the study also found that PUFA is responsible for the (often lethal) acute pancreatitis seen in many COVID-19 patients. Given the epidemic of both acute and chronic pancreatitis in the general population (in the absence of COVID-19), apparently we need to look no further than PUFA for its cause(s). And finally, even if the reference above and the study below are not enough to convince you that PUFA are the primary driver of COVID-19, another recent study found that blocking the effects of the inflammatory PUFA metabolites known as leukotrienes, is another potential curative treatment for COVID-19. DEFINE_ME Vijay P. Singh, MBBS, on the Role of Unsaturated Fats in Severe COVID-19

fatty acids can improve T cells (oleic acid does it best in cell studies ive seen).
so before i read that study i thought the correlation between severe covid and fatty acids was from the increased cytokine response by these

but from that OP study the problem comes when free fatty acids are unbound due to low calcium / low albumin which worsens the inflammation stage and damages lymphocytes & mitochondria
+ it's not just PUFA as they said oleic acid had the same effect (and going by another study maybe palmitic acid)

what things are good for increasing albumin? protein intake is a main factor but not always by the looks of it
how much protein do u think is enough to keep albumin up with the inflammation breaking down extra protein? ray peat mentioned ensuring enough sodium intake being a help for albumin

Here's a study that showed oleic acid, linoleic acid, and palmitic acid were elevated in severe covid cases.
not much difference between moderate / mild / symptomless cases.
so palmitic acid being unbound might be problematic too ? palmitic acid has been shown to reduce t cell proliferation in some studies / increase t cell proliferation in others depending on dose , and has some pro-inflammatory studies.
but could just be being released by same mechanism as the PUFA / oleic acid

oleic acid was higher in the mild group compared to moderate which makes me wonder if it's beneficial

tho this one again , showed saturated free fatty acids didn't induce hypocalcemia where the unsaturated ones did (& lowered magnesium) https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jbmr.5650051210

i guess the binding is the more important part than restriction considering the body synthesises oleic / palmitic acid by itself. tho i wonder if restricting these is beneficial with infection (along with PUFAs)
so would supplementing calcium orally actually be beneficial for this? considering blood levels are tightly regulated would it only work taken iv?

I think all of this only applies to the covid stage where the pancreas is failing which affects the free fatty acids, through lipase hitting fat cells and creating non-bound fatty acid release. Pancreatic triglyceride lipase mediates lipotoxic systemic inflammation - PubMed
"Acute pancreatitis-associated adipose tissue had ongoing lipolysis in the absence of adipocyte triglyceride lipase (ATGL) Pancreatic lipase injected into mouse visceral adipose tissue hydrolyzed adipose triglyceride and generated excess nonesterified fatty acids (NEFAs), which caused organ failure in the absence of acute pancreatitis. Pancreatic triglyceride lipase (PNLIP) increased in adipose tissue during pancreatitis and entered adipocytes by multiple mechanisms, hydrolyzing adipose triglyceride and generating excess NEFAs.
During pancreatitis, obese PNLIP-knockout mice, unlike obese adipocyte-specific ATGL knockouts, had lower visceral adipose tissue lipolysis, milder inflammation, less severe organ failure, and improved survival. Therefore, during pancreatitis, unlike diverticulitis, PNLIP leaking into visceral adipose tissue can cause excessive visceral adipose tissue lipolysis independently of adipocyte-autonomous ATGL, and thereby worsen organ failure.
"

^ this is why there's no correlation between fatty acid levels in mild & moderate cases in the human study. ordinarily there's no significant unbound FFA release until the pancreas fails

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals