PUFA Durian Fruit Binge

N

nobody

What is the effect of binging on ad libitum of durian fruit especially in combination with other sweet fruits? I have been gorging on kilograms of the decadent Monthong pulp for a few days and want to know what the harm is. Am I digging myself into severe pufa accumulation?

Bioactive Compounds, Nutritional Value, and Potential Health Benefits of Indigenous Durian (Durio Zibethinus Murr.): A Review

Table 3 shows fatty acid compositions of different durian varieties. Thailand durian varieties showed higher monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) than saturated fatty acids (SFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), with exception of Monthong. Palmitic acid (16:0) was the major SFA, in the range of 84.57 to 1696.00 mg per 100 g FW, while oleic acid (18:1) was the major MUFA found in the matured or fully ripened durian (64.89 to 2343.30 mg per 100 g FW). However, each study used a different technique for fatty acid analysis. Gas chromatography was used by Charoenkiatkul et al. (2015) while high pressure liquid chromatography was used by Haruenkit et al. (2010) [13,14]. Both MUFA and SFA might be involved in various metabolic pathways, including the regulation of transcription factors and the expression of multiple genes related to inflammatory processes [37,38,39].

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 6.39.37 AM.png

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463093/

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Nutritional composition of indigenous durian varieties

Fatty acids

Data on the sum of saturated fatty acid (SFA), monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) composition for all durian varieties are also presented in Table 2. Oleic acid (C18:1n9) was the major MUFA and palmitic acid (16:0) was the major SFA (27.91-51.88% and 35.63- 48.27% of total fatty acids, respectively) inallvarieties,whichagreedwellwith a previous study (Haruenkit et al., 2010). Most of the indigenous varieties, except for six varieties (i.e. Chao-koa, Dao-kra-jai, Keng-tong, Kob-mae-tao, Kob-ta-khao and Kum-pun-chao-kom) contained MUFA>SFA>PUFA (50.22- 58.78%, 38.28-41.32%, 2.26-8.91% of total fatty acids, respectively). The ratio of PUFA:MUFA:SFA (P:M:S ratio) in these varieties was 0.1-0.2:1.1-1.4:1.0. The P:M:S ratio in this group agreed well with the ratio reported by the MOPH Thailand (2002), which was 0.3:1.4:1.0.

https://nutriweb.org.my/mjn/publication/26-1/Vol26(1)%208.mjn.2019.0083%20Kunchit%20Judprasong%20(online%20first).pdf

Hans

Forum Supporter
What is the effect of binging on ad libitum of durian fruit especially in combination with other sweet fruits? I have been gorging on kilograms of the decadent Monthong pulp for a few days and want to know what the harm is. Am I digging myself into severe pufa accumulation?

Bioactive Compounds, Nutritional Value, and Potential Health Benefits of Indigenous Durian (Durio Zibethinus Murr.): A Review

Table 3 shows fatty acid compositions of different durian varieties. Thailand durian varieties showed higher monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) than saturated fatty acids (SFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), with exception of Monthong. Palmitic acid (16:0) was the major SFA, in the range of 84.57 to 1696.00 mg per 100 g FW, while oleic acid (18:1) was the major MUFA found in the matured or fully ripened durian (64.89 to 2343.30 mg per 100 g FW). However, each study used a different technique for fatty acid analysis. Gas chromatography was used by Charoenkiatkul et al. (2015) while high pressure liquid chromatography was used by Haruenkit et al. (2010) [13,14]. Both MUFA and SFA might be involved in various metabolic pathways, including the regulation of transcription factors and the expression of multiple genes related to inflammatory processes [37,38,39].

View attachment 43082

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463093/

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Nutritional composition of indigenous durian varieties

Fatty acids

Data on the sum of saturated fatty acid (SFA), monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) composition for all durian varieties are also presented in Table 2. Oleic acid (C18:1n9) was the major MUFA and palmitic acid (16:0) was the major SFA (27.91-51.88% and 35.63- 48.27% of total fatty acids, respectively) inallvarieties,whichagreedwellwith a previous study (Haruenkit et al., 2010). Most of the indigenous varieties, except for six varieties (i.e. Chao-koa, Dao-kra-jai, Keng-tong, Kob-mae-tao, Kob-ta-khao and Kum-pun-chao-kom) contained MUFA>SFA>PUFA (50.22- 58.78%, 38.28-41.32%, 2.26-8.91% of total fatty acids, respectively). The ratio of PUFA:MUFA:SFA (P:M:S ratio) in these varieties was 0.1-0.2:1.1-1.4:1.0. The P:M:S ratio in this group agreed well with the ratio reported by the MOPH Thailand (2002), which was 0.3:1.4:1.0.

https://nutriweb.org.my/mjn/publication/26-1/Vol26(1)%208.mjn.2019.0083%20Kunchit%20Judprasong%20(online%20first).pdf
The SFA to PUFA ratio is really good. I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Plus, fruit is rich in nutrients that protect us against lipid peroxidation and inflammation.

OP
N

nobody

The SFA to PUFA ratio is really good. I'd say it's nothing to worry about. Plus, fruit is rich in nutrients that protect us against lipid peroxidation and inflammation.
Cool! It may be the most delicious food I've ever had.

RealNeat

I think many people from northern countries don't really understand how delicious ripe fruit is. We are so used to our bland frozen, concentrated and unripe but also old "fresh" produce that when we taste truly ripe, especially tropical fruit it really satiates a need.

I enjoy all the tropical fruits to a great extent. Durian is so delicious even if a bit odd and it's really good chilled for breakfast.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals