PUFA Depletion: Temporary or Permanent?

DaveFoster

30 Day PUFA Depletion Study

14 Day PUFA Depletion Study

>15% Fat Depletes PUFA Study

All of these studies show that PUFA depletion can be accomplished relatively quickly with fat restriction over a period ranging from 14-31 days. In one of the studies, PUFA repletion occurred from a single high-PUFA meal after radically lowering PUFA stores.

Two questions: Is the PUFA depletion reflected in the adipose tissue, making the fat-restriction experiments equal in all senses to the recommended 2-4 year PUFA restriction?

Does this mean that even after 2-4 years of PUFA depletion that a single high-PUFA meal will saturate adipose tissues as in the 31 day depletion experiment?

I'm sure that I'm missing something here, so I will continue re-reading the study. Any assistance in understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Mittir

I have read similar studies before. My understanding is that these are minor changes.
In most of these studies they give steady supply of carbohydrate, which inhibit the release
of FFA and this lowers plasma PUFA content. RP recommends frequent feeding to inhibit
FFA release.

In terms of change in adipose tissue fat content, i remember reading the study RP quotes
in his 4 years claim that there are two kind of fat storage, one changes quickly with diet and
other one has slow rate of changes. In the long run you want to minimize all the PUFA in every cells.
RP has also mentioned that many molecules made of PUFA, which are part of cells takes longer time to
replace. This half life decreases when people lose body fat. That 4 year number is based on
studies where people did not have fat loss.

narouz

Mittir said:
I have read similar studies before. My understanding is that these are minor changes.
In most of these studies they give steady supply of carbohydrate, which inhibit the release
of FFA and this lowers plasma PUFA content. RP recommends frequent feeding to inhibit
FFA release.

In terms of change in adipose tissue fat content, i remember reading the study RP quotes
in his 4 years claim that there are two kind of fat storage, one changes quickly with diet and
other one has slow rate of changes. In the long run you want to minimize all the PUFA in every cells.
RP has also mentioned that many molecules made of PUFA, which are part of cells takes longer time to
replace. This half life decreases when people lose body fat. That 4 year number is based on

I do share your skepticism about the supposed 30 Day PUFA Eradication, Mittir.
This is not a knock on haidut and his great posts/research.
I'm grateful for the different views, ideas, theories, studies.
But I do have my doubts about getting rid of all the PUFA in a month....

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Mittir said:
FFA release.

I see, so it seems that fat loss in the context of a very low-fat intake would simultaneously deplete serum and tissue PUFA levels, all while stimulating metabolism (as much as possible during a caloric deficit.) Thanks for the info.