PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

cdg

I think Peat's point on PUFA "essentiality" is that animals can live perfectly fine without it, so it should not be called essential. Also, when you deplete PUFA the mitochondria get uncoupled so metabolism speeds up. Animals and humans preferentially burn saturated fat and store PUFA. So, I would argue that this show saturated fat to be essential since the body burns it right away just like sugar. PUFA gets stored since it inhibits cytochrome C and promotes estrogen synthesis both of which increase fat storage.
Can't access the pdf it takes you to a sign in page. Is there another way to get it? Thanks

Dan W

Isn't wheat germ oil what destroyed peats teeth?
I got the impression he'd tried straight wheat germ as a major (sole?) source of nutrients. Which could leave a person deficient in vitamin K and calcium, which might explain any dental issues. I'm not aware of anything actively harmful to teeth in it.

zooma

I got the impression he'd tried straight wheat germ as a major (sole?) source of nutrients. Which could leave a person deficient in vitamin K and calcium, which might explain any dental issues. I'm not aware of anything actively harmful to teeth in it.
I think it is the very low calcium: phosphorous ratio that is the major problem. If wheat germ had an equally small amount of phosphorous, it probably wouldn't be nearly as bad.

superhuman

love it @max219 im doing the same. Starting tomorrow. Im also gonna be a little more agressive in terms of fat loss :D but will get there

BastiFuntasty

are there any side effects by depleting tissues from pufa? I somehow think that I don't regenerate properly from strength training, since I am pufa depleted.

tara

are there any side effects by depleting tissues from pufa?
Theoretically, increased metabolism, and possibly deficiencies in nutrients (calories, protein, minerals, vitamins) and associated deficiency diseases if not increased to accommodate increased metabolism? Catabolism of muscle if insufficient carbs are supplied?

BastiFuntasty

Theoretically, increased metabolism, and possibly deficiencies in nutrients (calories, protein, minerals, vitamins) and associated deficiency diseases if not increased to accommodate increased metabolism? Catabolism of muscle if insufficient carbs are supplied?
yeah thats truly possible. What I meant was something like a disturbed stress response to the excercise from the muscle cells. I feel strange on excersise atm, since I never have any kind of muscle soreness no matter how hard I train, despite my myalgia in deltoids and biceps. And strangely I dont feel of making any progress, which I think is due to absolutely absence of inflammation??

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
yeah thats truly possible. What I meant was something like a disturbed stress response to the excercise from the muscle cells. I feel strange on excersise atm, since I never have any kind of muscle soreness no matter how hard I train, despite my myalgia in deltoids and biceps. And strangely I dont feel of making any progress, which I think is due to absolutely absence of inflammation??

Have you done any tests to see if you are truly PUFA depleted? Like a blood test for Mead acid or a full NEFA profile?

BastiFuntasty

Have you done any tests to see if you are truly PUFA depleted? Like a blood test for Mead acid or a full NEFA profile?
I haven't done any blood test, I was just thinking that 3 almost pufa free years, with longer periods of almost fat free days while being physically active should have made me almost pufa free^^

superhuman

@BastiFuntasty yes. Side effects: better metabolic rate, higher co2 production, less lactic acid production, better testosterone to cortisol ratio, better skin, less fatigue, better sleep just to name a few

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@BastiFuntasty yes. Side effects: better metabolic rate, higher co2 production, less lactic acid production, better testosterone to cortisol ratio, better skin, less fatigue, better sleep just to name a few
Are you guys doing the pufa depletion thing taking one day a week or so and not worrying about (saturated) fat intake?

Are you guys doing the pufa depletion thing taking one day a week or so and not worrying about (saturated) fat intake?

Im sticking to it every day. I'm also eating some starch. I just can't get satiety with sugar only. A few pieces of sourdough bread make a huge difference. Then I don't feel this is hard to maintain. No cravings.

sladerunner69

Has anyone else noticed the effect of increased anxiety/nervousness when in the state of being very low pufa/ pufa depleted?? Upon ingesting small amounts of unsaturated fats, such as a few nuts or some fatty fish, I quickly feel more calm and mellow.

I simply desire to think/feel/percieve coherently and with minimal social anxiety.

BibleBeliever

I started doing this last month and I'm liking it :)

I plan to do this fat-free diet for at least 6 months or more. If Okinawans eat low fat diet all their lifetime, 6 months is nothing. I started to notice traditional Asian diets are high in carb, medium in protein and very low in fat. Maybe that's why they age well and keep all their hair in their 50s and 60s.
How will you absorb fat-soluble vitamins without fat? A, D, K, E?
Why not be normal and consume at least 5-10 tablespoons of coconut oil a day?

tara

Why not be normal and consume at least 5-10 tablespoons of coconut oil a day?
Not that I'd be talking Strongbad out of eating a bit more coconut oil, but I think Peat recommends more like 3 tsp/day. :)

Regina

Well, it didn't seem to affect the monkeys that badly otherwise the study would have mentioned something. Also, taking taurine and vitamin E greatly reduces the oxidative PUFA poisons, and vitamin E may even saturate some of the PUFAs before they are burned by the cells, thus reducing damage even further.
I am just not sure Peat's way of depleting them slowly is practical for everybody. He says that stored PUFA is more or less safe and with time the liver with glucuronidate them out of the body. The problem is, virtually everybody is oxidizing PUFAs all the time due to inefficient metabolism, low glycogen, chronic conditions, stress, exercise, etc. Taking niacinamide and aspirin may help but then again many people cannot take aspirin for various reasons. Long story short - I think that for SOME people who are burning PUFA anyways it may be better to just eat a fat-free diet for 30 days and be done with it.
Also, I am not sure the monkeys were forced to flush their PUFA into the blood stream. They ate enough sugar to prevent adrenalin from rising, so it must be their muscles burning the PUFA at high speed while on a fat-free diet.
Peat mentioned that the guy who went on a fat-free milk and orange juice diet experienced significant weight loss and it was not muscle loss but fat. So, I think it's worth a try to do very low fat diet for a month. Note that the monkeys were not exercising, otherwise it would have been mentioned. The PUFA were burned through normal metabolism, not stress and adrenalin.
Just my 2c.
I love having my assumptions shattered to bits. (so I found a neat tree-fort here). My older sister was a prima-ballerina; I got to be a fly-on-the-wall viewing dancer's lifestyles. Fortunately, I had 2 left feet. Most of the females (maybe it is different now?) were "anorexic". They ate zero-fat cheese and milk and ate a lot of hard candy and smoked. There was always piles of candy in the dressing rooms which were thick with cigarette smoke. I thought it was completely insane. How are they enduring these incredibly punishing training/performance schedules eating like this??? They never ate nuts or beans (fattening) and rarely ate muscle meats.
Now if I could only get my (retired) sister to eat sugar (instead of heaps sucralose), she most definitely does not have any PUFA in her.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I love having my assumptions shattered to bits. (so I found a neat tree-fort here). My older sister was a prima-ballerina; I got to be a fly-on-the-wall viewing dancer's lifestyles. Fortunately, I had 2 left feet. Most of the females (maybe it is different now?) were "anorexic". They ate zero-fat cheese and milk and ate a lot of hard candy and smoked. There was always piles of candy in the dressing rooms which were thick with cigarette smoke. I thought it was completely insane. How are they enduring these incredibly punishing training/performance schedules eating like this??? They never ate nuts or beans (fattening) and rarely ate muscle meats.
Now if I could only get my (retired) sister to eat sugar (instead of heaps sucralose), she most definitely does not have any PUFA in her.

Even convincing her to eat pure fructose would be better than the sucralose. You can tell her fructose does not raise insulin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals