PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

uuy8778yyi

is this wrong ? I think it is, can someone correct me

PUFA from rancid oil
turns into linoleic acid
which turns into Arachidonic acid,
which turns into pgd2

I want to deplete my body of pgd2, how could I ?

RPDiciple

uuy8778yyi said:
is this wrong ? I think it is, can someone correct me

PUFA from rancid oil
turns into linoleic acid
which turns into Arachidonic acid,
which turns into pgd2

I want to deplete my body of pgd2, how could I ?

please go and read some RP articles before spamming this forum with all types of questions that has been answered 9999 times before or search the forum.

Jeezus crist

Amazoniac

I plotted my experience with PUFA restriction/depletion, I had the exact periods in which I've noticed significant improvements.
To consider:
- Warm climate
- Young adult
- Occasional fast
- Relatively low caloric intake at that time
- Macronutrients ranged: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6570#p79301
- Normal or a bit underweight

So, in my experience, the majority of the depletion occurs rapidly. And don't take the graph too seriously!

Attachments

• PUFA restriction over time.jpg
    PUFA restriction over time.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,450

Zachs

What was your actual pufa intake? I can't imagine it was 2g or less of half of your calories came from fat.

gbolduev

haidut said:
Since removing PUFA from the body is one of the primary goals of Peatarians, naturally anything that can speed up the process of waiting at least 4 years would be highly desirable. I have been experimenting myself relentlessly with speeding that process up (as safely as possible). While searching for clues, I came across this study from 1959. It used monkeys and special diets (high PUFA or fat-free) to deplete and then replete PUFA from serum, cholesterol, and most importantly tissues. If I am reading this study right, and if monkey studies translate well to humans, I think there are some very good news for all of us. Some takeaways from the study.

1) On a fat-free diet, PUFA depletion in serum and cholesterol was daramatic and it took about 4 days to almost fully deplete PUFA.
2) In various tissues like muscle, skin and testis, PUFA depletion was slower, but still after ONLY 31 days the PUFA depletion in tissues reached the depletion levels seen in serum and cholesterol. As far as I can see PUFA levels fell to under 5% concentration in tissues. Again, this was achieved when feeding fat-free diet.
3) Perhaps the most important, and depressing finding - even a single high PUFA meal replenished PUFA content in serum, cholesterol and tissues almost up to the levels seen before starting fat-free diets. So, after depleting PUFA make sure to avoid even a single "binge event" of restaurant food unless you are loaded up on vitamin E.

Fat-free diets are unrealistic and maybe even unhealthy for many people. However, it is not hard to eat very low-fat diets with no more than 5% fat daily and feel fine. If the study translates to humans this probably means successful depletion of PUFA in as few as 2-3 months. I would appreciate it if someone else reads the study as well and tells me if I am reading this right. If this study is correct, I think it makes the Peatarian goals of being PUFA-free much more realistic. I know quite a few people that do not follow Peatarian diets ONLY b/c they are quite discouraged by the prospects of waiting 4+ years to see lasting benefits.
Anyways, please read and fire away. Figure 7 and Table 1 from the study are the most important for our purposes - i.e. tissue depletion of PUFA.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/69/3/245.full.pdf

"...The reversal of PFA concentrations in muscle, skin, and testis was much slower; however, the reversal in PFA concentrations had occurred in these tissues by 31 days after the diet reversal."

Haidut, dont you think this means that It has nothing to do with PUFA depletion. If PUFA depletes so fast that it does. that means PUFA is super essential to our body. This is the same as fasting. According to this article you will deplete PUFAs fasting for a week.

Amazoniac

As absurd, funny and playful as the graph looks like (and is), those marks were tracked and the only variable that changed at that time was the (almost) complete PUFA avoidance. My skin smelled different later, was extremely clear and smooth. I wasn't looking after any result from that experiment, pretty interesting..

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
gbolduev said:
haidut said:
Since removing PUFA from the body is one of the primary goals of Peatarians, naturally anything that can speed up the process of waiting at least 4 years would be highly desirable. I have been experimenting myself relentlessly with speeding that process up (as safely as possible). While searching for clues, I came across this study from 1959. It used monkeys and special diets (high PUFA or fat-free) to deplete and then replete PUFA from serum, cholesterol, and most importantly tissues. If I am reading this study right, and if monkey studies translate well to humans, I think there are some very good news for all of us. Some takeaways from the study.

1) On a fat-free diet, PUFA depletion in serum and cholesterol was daramatic and it took about 4 days to almost fully deplete PUFA.
2) In various tissues like muscle, skin and testis, PUFA depletion was slower, but still after ONLY 31 days the PUFA depletion in tissues reached the depletion levels seen in serum and cholesterol. As far as I can see PUFA levels fell to under 5% concentration in tissues. Again, this was achieved when feeding fat-free diet.
3) Perhaps the most important, and depressing finding - even a single high PUFA meal replenished PUFA content in serum, cholesterol and tissues almost up to the levels seen before starting fat-free diets. So, after depleting PUFA make sure to avoid even a single "binge event" of restaurant food unless you are loaded up on vitamin E.

Fat-free diets are unrealistic and maybe even unhealthy for many people. However, it is not hard to eat very low-fat diets with no more than 5% fat daily and feel fine. If the study translates to humans this probably means successful depletion of PUFA in as few as 2-3 months. I would appreciate it if someone else reads the study as well and tells me if I am reading this right. If this study is correct, I think it makes the Peatarian goals of being PUFA-free much more realistic. I know quite a few people that do not follow Peatarian diets ONLY b/c they are quite discouraged by the prospects of waiting 4+ years to see lasting benefits.
Anyways, please read and fire away. Figure 7 and Table 1 from the study are the most important for our purposes - i.e. tissue depletion of PUFA.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/69/3/245.full.pdf

"...The reversal of PFA concentrations in muscle, skin, and testis was much slower; however, the reversal in PFA concentrations had occurred in these tissues by 31 days after the diet reversal."

Haidut, dont you think this means that It has nothing to do with PUFA depletion. If PUFA depletes so fast that it does. that means PUFA is super essential to our body. This is the same as fasting. According to this article you will deplete PUFAs fasting for a week.

I think Peat's point on PUFA "essentiality" is that animals can live perfectly fine without it, so it should not be called essential. Also, when you deplete PUFA the mitochondria get uncoupled so metabolism speeds up. Animals and humans preferentially burn saturated fat and store PUFA. So, I would argue that this show saturated fat to be essential since the body burns it right away just like sugar. PUFA gets stored since it inhibits cytochrome C and promotes estrogen synthesis both of which increase fat storage.

bodacious

haidut said:
post 57951 Fat-free diets are unrealistic and maybe even unhealthy for many people. However, it is not hard to eat very low-fat diets with no more than 5% fat daily and feel fine. If the study translates to humans this probably means successful depletion of PUFA in as few as 2-3 months. I would appreciate it if someone else reads the study as well and tells me if I am reading this right. If this study is correct, I think it makes the Peatarian goals of being PUFA-free much more realistic. I know quite a few people that do not follow Peatarian diets ONLY b/c they are quite discouraged by the prospects of waiting 4+ years to see lasting benefits.

Haidut I'd love to hear your opinion on what sort of dietary protocol would suit this? Apologies if you've shared one elsewhere, I'm new to the forum and still working my way through the back–catalogue

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
bodacious said:
post 108516
haidut said:
post 57951 Fat-free diets are unrealistic and maybe even unhealthy for many people. However, it is not hard to eat very low-fat diets with no more than 5% fat daily and feel fine. If the study translates to humans this probably means successful depletion of PUFA in as few as 2-3 months. I would appreciate it if someone else reads the study as well and tells me if I am reading this right. If this study is correct, I think it makes the Peatarian goals of being PUFA-free much more realistic. I know quite a few people that do not follow Peatarian diets ONLY b/c they are quite discouraged by the prospects of waiting 4+ years to see lasting benefits.

Haidut I'd love to hear your opinion on what sort of dietary protocol would suit this? Apologies if you've shared one elsewhere, I'm new to the forum and still working my way through the back–catalogue

What protocol to suit what? If you eat low fat cheese, milk and lean meats you will probably be eating about 5% fat daily. There are some disucussions on the forum about people trying various diets for weight loss and boosting metabolism. If you search around you will find them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strongbad

I started doing this last month and I'm liking it :)

I plan to do this fat-free diet for at least 6 months or more. If Okinawans eat low fat diet all their lifetime, 6 months is nothing. I started to notice traditional Asian diets are high in carb, medium in protein and very low in fat. Maybe that's why they age well and keep all their hair in their 50s and 60s.

Parsifal

[
haidut said:
What do you call a high PUFA? More than 5g?

Most Peatarians put weight with Peating so I guess that they are not burning the PUFAs in their tissues as you need some kind of lypolisis?

Did other people notice changes after some month of Peating, like increase in the metabolism without needing too much supplements and other things?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
[
What do you call a high PUFA? More than 5g?

Most Peatarians put weight with Peating so I guess that they are not burning the PUFAs in their tissues as you need some kind of lypolisis?

Did other people notice changes after some month of Peating, like increase in the metabolism without needing too much supplements and other things?

Yes, 5g sounds about right even though if you eat 3-4 eggs a day you may end up with as high as 10g daily. Hence the reason a little but of vitamin E supplementation can go a long way in the modern times of PUFA unavoidability.

Parsifal

Yes, 5g sounds about right even though if you eat 3-4 eggs a day you may end up with as high as 10g daily. Hence the reason a little but of vitamin E supplementation can go a long way in the modern times of PUFA unavoidability.

I hope that idealabs intends to release a vitamin E supp soon :).

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I hope that idealabs intends to release a vitamin E supp soon :).

Working on getting one produced from wheat germ oil. This is the original vitamin E that had all the great studies and results back in the first half of the 20th century.

Zachs

I believe Ray says to keep pufa under 10g or 2% of calories.

DaveFoster

this probably means successful depletion of PUFA in as few as 2-3 months."
Where'd you get this figure? Do you think 99.9% depletion in 90 days with 10% fat in the diet, or is this too optimistic?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals