PUFA Deficiency Makes The G.I Tract Strong Against Insults; Normo-PUFA Contributes To G.I Injury

PakPik

PUFA eicosanoids and the autocoid Platelet-activating factor (PAF) can basically determine the resistance (or lack of thereof) to gastro-intestinal injuries. PUFA depletion is extremely protective, significantly producing less of the eicosanoids and PAF, and therefore decreasing gut damage.

"Eicosanoids and platelet-activating factor (PAF) production increases in experimental colitis. Both eicosanoids and PAF seem to arise from similar membrane phospholipids. To support both these suggestions we have investigated whether a fat-free diet, which should alter production of eicosanoids and PAF, affects experimental colitis. Essential fatty acid deficient (EFAD) rats were obtained by putting 4-week-old animals on a fat-free diet for 3 months. Experimental colitis was induced by a single intracolonic administration of 2 ml of 4% acetic acid. One to seven days later the animals were sacrificed and the colon removed to assess macroscopically and histologically intestinal damage. Eicosanoids and PAF levels were also measured in the mucosa scrapings by specific radioimmunoassay. The injury to the colon was more evident in control rats compared with EFAD rats. Besides colonic tissue of control rats showed a highly significant increase of PGE2, LTB4 and PAF, compared with levels in EFAD rats. Our results indicate that fat-free diet reduces tissue damage, and at the same time PGE2, LTB4 and PAF colonic content."
Acetic acid-induced colitis in normal and essential fatty acid deficient rats. - PubMed - NCBI

"Platelet-activating factor (PAF) is thought to play an important role in pathogenesis of endotoxin shock. Here, using essential fatty acid deficient (EFAD) rats, we have evaluated changes in mean arterial blood pressure, PAF levels and damage in both stomach and duodenum following intravenous administration of endotoxin (LPS). In EFAD rats the second phase of LPS-induced hypotension was strongly reduced. Similarly, PAF levels in stomach and duodenum of EFAD rats were also reduced and correlated to the diminished damage. Our study confirms a direct involvement of PAF in LPS-induced gastrointestinal damage."
Essential fatty acid-deficient diet modifies PAF levels in stomach and duodenum of endotoxin-treated rats. - PubMed - NCBI

CoolTweetPete

Thanks for this.

As someone who's been passionate about nutrition for a while, I often think back to before I discovered Dr. Peat's work and laugh about how oblivious I was. Heating extracted soybean oil up and rolling my food in it should have struck me as odd.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rightagain