PUFA Deficiency Is Actually A Symptom Of Vitamin B6 Deficiency

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about this over and over again, but AFAIK he has not provided a study to back this claim of his up. This study seems to offer the needed support for his claim. So, the symptoms of the so-called EFA / PUFA deficiency are actually symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency and should disappear with adequate supplemenation with vitamin B6. The vitamin B6 used in the study was pyridoxine hydrochloride. The dose used in the study was equivalent to a human dose of 0.18mg/kg, which translates to a daily intake of 10mg-15mg of pyridoxine for a human. This dose is well-aligned with Peat's recommendations of 10mg vitamin B6 daily.
So, it looks like pretty much all of Ray's claims on PUFA "deficiency" have studies backing them up.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/103/11/1548.long

"...The growth rates of the experimental animals throughout the two phases of the experiment are depicted in figure 1. Deprivation of vitamin B6 in the first phase of the study resulted in a marked depression of growth relative to both control groups. These animals also exhibited scaliness of the paws and tail, acrodynia and coarse fur. The lower growth rate of the B6-deficient animals vis-a-vis the pair-fed controls indicates that growth depression was a direct result of the vitamin deficiency and was not due to inanition accompanying the deficiency. Addition of pyridoxine to the diet during the second phase of the experiment and termination of the pair-feeding regimen improved the growth rate of animals in these two groups and by the end of the experiment, there were no significant differences among the three groups receiving dietary pyridoxine, irrespective of the diet in the initial phase of the study. The B6 deficiency symptoms, such as acrodynia, disappeared in animals supplemented with pyridoxine. The substitution of the EFA-deficient diet for the corn oil diet had no effect on the growth of rats providing pyridoxine was included in the diet. Removal of pyridoxine from the diet during the second phase of the experiment had the same effect on animals from the three initial dietary groups. Growth rapidly reached a plateau and then declined slightly. It is evident that growth of the mature rat was relatively unresponsive to the EFA-deficient diet but responded markedly to the pyridoxine status of the diet."

koganmj

Any supplement/brand you recommend haidut that contains only isolated B6? I'm interested in experimenting with it in regards to skin.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
koganmj said:
Any supplement/brand you recommend haidut that contains only isolated B6? I'm interested in experimenting with it in regards to skin.

I have been buying the Vitamin Shoppe vitamin B6 and P5P. They list rice powder and gelatin as the only additives. The doses are high (50mg per pill) so I cut the pills in 4 pieces with a pill cutter.

Wilfrid

I think that at least one study, involving humans, was made by Mueller and al.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/12/5/358.full.pdf

The same John F. Mueller made a very good summary about the connection between B6 and fat metabolism in " Vitamins and hormones " ( vol 22, it begins at page 787 ).
This volume is easy to get via LibGen.
His conclusions are worth reading.
Also, niacin,biotin and pantothenic acid, function as well as coenzymes during the oxidation of long-chain fatty acids.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/24/4/393.full.pdf

Tourist

I'm curious why looking to a food source isn't preferred and why taking an isolated vitamin is suggested?

I have been buying the Vitamin Shoppe vitamin B6 and P5P. They list rice powder and gelatin as the only additives. The doses are high (50mg per pill) so I cut the pills in 4 pieces with a pill cutter.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'm curious why looking to a food source isn't preferred and why taking an isolated vitamin is suggested?

If you have symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency then a supplement is usually needed as ti suggests food sources are not enough or there is a problem with absorption/transport so a higher dose is needed. Otherwise, food sources would obviously be preferable. Where did you see implications that supplements is always the way to go?

Tourist

Wasn't making the statement that its the way to go--I was trying to follow along with when Supplements are best used or not used --trying to learn along the way

If you have symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency then a supplement is usually needed as ti suggests food sources are not enough or there is a problem with absorption/transport so a higher dose is needed. Otherwise, food sources would obviously be preferable. Where did you see implications that supplements is always the way to go?

WestCoaster

Hmm I can see why. I had to look up the richest sources of B6, and it turns out if one were to try and avoid Pufa, would inevitably be avoiding B6. But you have to think of it this way though; are we designed to live on supplements? Or real food?

If there is a probably with absorption with B6 (or any vitamin/mineral for that matter), then that is likely an HCL problem which is also fixable. I don't think one can supplement their way out of a stomach acid issue, unless they are taking shots directly like in the case of B12 shots. But again would one rather be taking shots to get their levels up, or would they want to fix themselves to absorb real food?

Dr. B

Bananas can be a decent source of B6 (at least according to cronometer).

Cooking/boiling does destroy some of the B6 in milk (as well as other B vitamins). Interesting, UHT milk seems to preserve more B6, but some still gets lost.

Study to evaluate the impact of heat treatment on water soluble vitamins in milk

UHT milk is like 280 degrees for 1-2 seconds vs 161 degrees for 15 seconds standard pasteurization or 145 degrees for 30 minutes “low temp pasteurization”…

ddjd

am i being really dumb?. haidut is saying pufa deficiency ( a good thing!) is a result of b6 deficiency......so why would we want more b6?

Sitaruîm

am i being really dumb?. haidut is saying pufa deficiency ( a good thing!) is a result of b6 deficiency......so why would we want more b6?

What he's saying is that what's thought to be caused by PUFA deficiency is actually caused by B6 deficiency. Someone else mentioned PUFA foods being rich in vitamin B6, which likely is what led to this misconception

Michael Mohn

Uhaidut is saying pufa deficiency ( a good thing!) is a result of b6 deficiency......so why would we want more b6?
What looks like symptoms of a Pufa deficiency is actually a vitamin B6 deficiency. A Pufa deficiency increases metabolism and high metabolism can reveal a B6 deficiency. Supplementing B6 cures the symptoms of a Pufa (B6) deficiency.
Pufa is toxic and not essential, there's no deficiency in Pufa.

B6 is easy to get with beef, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes….

….dairy, eggs, carrots, and garbanzo beans, a little hummus, have enough too, to add up in a “Peat” eating day ….

Ginali

Forum Supporter
I see the connection now. My child feels much better after taking large doses of fish oil. I stopped it because I fear cancer, but immediately after stopping, she regresses, (nervous and unfocused). Now, I have hope to switch from fish oil to vitamin B6. However, I will first try everything on myself. This is an example of a situation where one needs PUFA and don't want to use them. I guess. By the way, she never eats potatoes! I think Rinse & rePeat, just helped me to find out something more too.

I see the connection now. My child feels much better after taking large doses of fish oil. I stopped it because I fear cancer, but immediately after stopping, she regresses, (nervous and unfocused). Now, I have hope to switch from fish oil to vitamin B6. However, I will first try everything on myself. This is an example of a situation where one needs PUFA and don't want to use them. I guess. By the way, she never eats potatoes! I think Rinse & rePeat, just helped me to find out something more too.
I found benefits of fish oil too, but the detriments, aka rancidity of the oil, isn’t worth the benefits. At the very least get those oil benefits from a fresh source like fish.

Dr. B

What he's saying is that what's thought to be caused by PUFA deficiency is actually caused by B6 deficiency. Someone else mentioned PUFA foods being rich in vitamin B6, which likely is what led to this misconception
But one thing to note is that, doesnt b6 increase arachidonic acid production or something. So indirectly boosts pufa absorption or utilization.

Additionally from what I remember the studies showed that PUFA intake would resolve the skin issues people on a high metabolism started to develop which would resolve with PUFA supplementation, the logic was that PUFA lowered the metabolism causing the skin problems to resolve.

Zinc and b6 supplements also resolved the skin problems, but does that mean those supplements are also simply lowering the metabolism in some way?

Dr. B

I found benefits of fish oil too, but the detriments, aka rancidity of the oil, isn’t worth the benefits. At the very least get those oil benefits from a fresh source like fish.

How much fish oil were you using? Would 1 gram daily fish oil do anything? Maybe not many benefits but not many side effects either?

Ginali

Forum Supporter
I use an organic product (100% Organic Scandinavian Rainbow Trout Oil) that contains a substantial amount of DHA and EPA. Here are the ingredients: Each 5ml teaspoon typically provides these naturally occurring fatty acids: Organic Scandinavian rainbow trout (fish) oil. Omega-3 (total) 780mg, Organic orange & lemon oil and organic rosemary extract, DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) 370mg, EPA (Eicosapentaeonic acid) 150mg, DPA (Docosapentaenoic acid) 50mg, ALA (Alpha linolenic acid) 120mg, Other Omega-3 fatty acids 90mg, Omega-6 (total) 561mg, Omega 6 (Linoleic acid) 465mg, GLA (Gamma linolenic acid) 5mg, Other Omega-6 fatty acids 91mg, Total Omega 7 (Palmitoleic acid) 340mg, Total Omega 9 (Oleic acid) 1279mg. I give her 1 to 2 tablespoons a day. She loves fish too, eats it at least 6 times a week. However, I'm starting to suspect that something might be inhibiting the natural oil absorption, possibly because she eats only one type of food at a time. For instance, if she eats fish, it's only fish without any rice, vegetables or potatoes. Maybe she should eat the fish with potatoes? I'm also thinking about using a juicer to JUICE wild-caught, boiled DORADA daily for her, bones and all. It might sound crazy, but nothing would be wasted, as my cats are always hungry and would happily eat any leftovers. And maybe the dog would enjoy it too! :D