PUFA Deficiency Is Actually A Symptom Of Vitamin B6 Deficiency

haidut

Ray has written about this over and over again, but AFAIK he has not provided a study to back this claim of his up. This study seems to offer the needed support for his claim. So, the symptoms of the so-called EFA / PUFA deficiency are actually symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency and should disappear with adequate supplemenation with vitamin B6. The vitamin B6 used in the study was pyridoxine hydrochloride. The dose used in the study was equivalent to a human dose of 0.18mg/kg, which translates to a daily intake of 10mg-15mg of pyridoxine for a human. This dose is well-aligned with Peat's recommendations of 10mg vitamin B6 daily.
So, it looks like pretty much all of Ray's claims on PUFA "deficiency" have studies backing them up.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/103/11/1548.long

"...The growth rates of the experimental animals throughout the two phases of the experiment are depicted in figure 1. Deprivation of vitamin B6 in the first phase of the study resulted in a marked depression of growth relative to both control groups. These animals also exhibited scaliness of the paws and tail, acrodynia and coarse fur. The lower growth rate of the B6-deficient animals vis-a-vis the pair-fed controls indicates that growth depression was a direct result of the vitamin deficiency and was not due to inanition accompanying the deficiency. Addition of pyridoxine to the diet during the second phase of the experiment and termination of the pair-feeding regimen improved the growth rate of animals in these two groups and by the end of the experiment, there were no significant differences among the three groups receiving dietary pyridoxine, irrespective of the diet in the initial phase of the study. The B6 deficiency symptoms, such as acrodynia, disappeared in animals supplemented with pyridoxine. The substitution of the EFA-deficient diet for the corn oil diet had no effect on the growth of rats providing pyridoxine was included in the diet. Removal of pyridoxine from the diet during the second phase of the experiment had the same effect on animals from the three initial dietary groups. Growth rapidly reached a plateau and then declined slightly. It is evident that growth of the mature rat was relatively unresponsive to the EFA-deficient diet but responded markedly to the pyridoxine status of the diet."

koganmj

Any supplement/brand you recommend haidut that contains only isolated B6? I'm interested in experimenting with it in regards to skin.

haidut

koganmj said:
Any supplement/brand you recommend haidut that contains only isolated B6? I'm interested in experimenting with it in regards to skin.

I have been buying the Vitamin Shoppe vitamin B6 and P5P. They list rice powder and gelatin as the only additives. The doses are high (50mg per pill) so I cut the pills in 4 pieces with a pill cutter.

Wilfrid

I think that at least one study, involving humans, was made by Mueller and al.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/12/5/358.full.pdf

The same John F. Mueller made a very good summary about the connection between B6 and fat metabolism in " Vitamins and hormones " ( vol 22, it begins at page 787 ).
This volume is easy to get via LibGen.
His conclusions are worth reading.
Also, niacin,biotin and pantothenic acid, function as well as coenzymes during the oxidation of long-chain fatty acids.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/24/4/393.full.pdf

Tourist

I'm curious why looking to a food source isn't preferred and why taking an isolated vitamin is suggested?

I have been buying the Vitamin Shoppe vitamin B6 and P5P. They list rice powder and gelatin as the only additives. The doses are high (50mg per pill) so I cut the pills in 4 pieces with a pill cutter.

haidut

I'm curious why looking to a food source isn't preferred and why taking an isolated vitamin is suggested?

If you have symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency then a supplement is usually needed as ti suggests food sources are not enough or there is a problem with absorption/transport so a higher dose is needed. Otherwise, food sources would obviously be preferable. Where did you see implications that supplements is always the way to go?

Tourist

Wasn't making the statement that its the way to go--I was trying to follow along with when Supplements are best used or not used --trying to learn along the way

If you have symptoms of vitamin B6 deficiency then a supplement is usually needed as ti suggests food sources are not enough or there is a problem with absorption/transport so a higher dose is needed. Otherwise, food sources would obviously be preferable. Where did you see implications that supplements is always the way to go?

WestCoaster

Hmm I can see why. I had to look up the richest sources of B6, and it turns out if one were to try and avoid Pufa, would inevitably be avoiding B6. But you have to think of it this way though; are we designed to live on supplements? Or real food?

If there is a probably with absorption with B6 (or any vitamin/mineral for that matter), then that is likely an HCL problem which is also fixable. I don't think one can supplement their way out of a stomach acid issue, unless they are taking shots directly like in the case of B12 shots. But again would one rather be taking shots to get their levels up, or would they want to fix themselves to absorb real food?