PUFA Deficiency Delays Puberty

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written on the benefits of delayed puberty on health and longevity. This study claims the mechanism of PUFA deficiency delaying puberty is the deficiency in prostaglandin synthesis in PUFA deficient organisms as well as diminished response to estrogen.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2759037

"...Depressed gonadal function resulting from the EFA deficiency was further evidenced by a reduced gonadotropin receptor content, a blunted E2 response to hCG in vitro, and an increase in mean serum FSH levels. These results suggest that the delay in puberty resulting from EFA deficiency is due to a reduced availability of arachidonic acid for synthesis of bioactive metabolites. This results in delayed development of both the hypothalamic and ovarian components of the reproductive axis."

Eric Yim

Ray has written on the benefits of delayed puberty on health and longevity. This study claims the mechanism of PUFA deficiency delaying puberty is the deficiency in prostaglandin synthesis in PUFA deficient organisms as well as diminished response to estrogen.

Essential fatty acid deficiency delays the onset of puberty in the female rat. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Depressed gonadal function resulting from the EFA deficiency was further evidenced by a reduced gonadotropin receptor content, a blunted E2 response to hCG in vitro, and an increase in mean serum FSH levels. These results suggest that the delay in puberty resulting from EFA deficiency is due to a reduced availability of arachidonic acid for synthesis of bioactive metabolites. This results in delayed development of both the hypothalamic and ovarian components of the reproductive axis."
I am 15 and I find I feel better with added pufas in my diet from chia/flax and wheat germ.

rei

You have a high base level of inflammation, so the immunosuppressive and antimetabolic effect of pufa seems to allow a little rest for your body from the constant overactivity.

YourUniverse

Ray really opened up on this subject on his most recent interview. Hyper sexuality is linked to stressful times, where the organism is essentially trying to quickly reproduce before they die. PUFAs, interfering with thyroid and causing estrogen to rise, both cause hyper sexuality and early/pre-mature puberty. He said it was not uncommon for girls to hit puberty at 17 or 18, but now, most go through it at 10-12.

mrchibbs

Ray really opened up on this subject on his most recent interview. Hyper sexuality is linked to stressful times, where the organism is essentially trying to quickly reproduce before they die. PUFAs, interfering with thyroid and causing estrogen to rise, both cause hyper sexuality and early/pre-mature puberty. He said it was not uncommon for girls to hit puberty at 17 or 18, but now, most go through it at 10-12.

He wrote about it in his Generative Energy book (1994)

baccheion

Vitamin D opposes precocious puberty and is said to be needed to benefit from progesterone. Melatonin also has the effect. Want to also avoid magnesium deficiency. Magnesium plays a role in vitamin D activity and also in clipping oxidative stress and inflammation.

gaze

whats sad is the culture itself also promotes early puberty. speaking formyself, I remember I wanted to grow facial hair, have a deeper voice, and grow taller before everyone else for social benefits. In sports as well, the quicker you could "mature", the more popular and talented you'd be. Noone I know wanted to be more childlike past 6th or 7th grade. It became a competition to date and have sexual experiences really quickly. Most girls I know would not want to wait till 17/18 to have a period

YourUniverse

whats sad is the culture itself also promotes early puberty. speaking formyself, I remember I wanted to grow facial hair, have a deeper voice, and grow taller before everyone else for social benefits. In sports as well, the quicker you could "mature", the more popular and talented you'd be. Noone I know wanted to be more childlike past 6th or 7th grade. It became a competition to date and have sexual experiences really quickly. Most girls I know would not want to wait till 17/18 to have a period
This rings mostly true in my experience as well

D

danishispsychic

i got my first period at 17.5 and i had a few years of that doing a lot of food restricting previous. we were not allowed to eat any junk food at all in my house. makes sense.... when i think about what i ate in teenage years it was tuna salad , soup, fruit and occasional ice cream, and my mom cooked all our meals super low pufa.

baccheion

i got my first period at 17.5 and i had a few years of that doing a lot of food restricting previous. we were not allowed to eat any junk food at all in my house. makes sense.... when i think about what i ate in teenage years it was tuna salad , soup, fruit and occasional ice cream, and my mom cooked all our meals super low pufa.
How tall are you? What's your upper body to lower body ratio? Were you lower body fat?

Zigzag

I agree, delayed puberty is definitely a bad thing for a man's social life.

mrchibbs

I definitely relate don't think it's that bad across the culture. And of course if the age of puberty was 17/18 for hundreds of years, the culture would adapt.

Some fools rush their children into early sexual experiences at say at 13 or 14 (or god forbid 12). By 15, 16, it is normal, and yes there is social pressure to have sex, but at the end every kid matures at their own rate. I knew kids who were just not ready for sex in high school and have more of it now in their 20s than the guys who were the most ''popular'' as teenagers.

Obviously the guys with aggressive puberty (hairiness, beard) were sexually precocious, but it doesn't always follow that rule.

At any rate, don't worry, we won't be seeing a delaying of puberty in our lifetimes.

mrchibbs

I agree, delayed puberty is definitely a bad thing for a man's social life.

The purpose of a delayed puberty is to allow the body to develop and mature more thoroughly. So I'm not sure I'd agree here. (Ray goes into more detail in the recent interview)

At 14-15 you're not a ''man'' so I don't know that considerations of a ''man's social life'' are apt.

Andman

makes sense from what ive experienced in myself and observed in others over the years

D

danishispsychic

How tall are you? What's your upper body to lower body ratio? Were you lower body fat?
i am 5ft 9 - most of my fat at that time was lower body. my body fat was about average probably low but i have a lot of muscle so not really sure. i was super calorie restricting in my teenage years and seriously not much pufa . my mother didn't even have a thyroid and my father has graves.

baccheion

i am 5ft 9 - most of my fat at that time was lower body. my body fat was about average probably low but i have a lot of muscle so not really sure. i was super calorie restricting in my teenage years and seriously not much pufa . my mother didn't even have a thyroid and my father has graves.
Are you taller than your predicted height? Does your thumb and middle finger overlap when wrapped around your wrist (behind the bone)?

D

danishispsychic

both my parents are tall - my twin sister and older sister are shorter. i grew 5 inches after high school .

TradClare

I also had my first period at 17. I was 5'9" and 125 lbs and grew to 5'10" and 130 over the next couple years. My family was vegetarian, with only a little lowfat cottage cheese and nonfat milk on oatmeal. Lots of veggies, fruits, potatoes, and breads, and just a little flax oil on salads (my parents were on Gerson at the time so only the occasional lentils as far as legumes). Of course at school and parties I would inhale buttery/sugary treats and cheese things as often as possible. I was active in dance and ran a little or did aerobics classes for fun but nothing more than an hour a day. Now that I'm in my forties I am thankful for the late development. I was very competitive in school and life without the distraction of boys being attracted to me until I was at least 20

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals