PUFA are remarkably estrogenic, toxic to the ovaries

haidut

Forum Supporter
One of the few studies that looks into the issue of whether the xenoestrogenic burden we are exposed to 24x7 in Western countries is due entirely to synthetic, industrial chemicals or if there is more to the story. Well, there is definitely more to the story, and the additional evidence we have from the study below is that PUFA is now officially a xenoestrogen, at least as potent as the better known ones such as phthalates, bisphenols, parabens, SSRI drugs, etc. And just as all those xenoestrogens, regular consumptions of PUFA from vegetable oils like canola, sunflower, rapeseed, grapeseed, etc can have a detrimental effect on the female reproductive tract. One could make the argument that PUFA is even more pernicious than the synthetic xenoestrogens due to its widespread consumption and presence in virtually all commercial food/beverage products (as well as its official status as "essential fats"), while the synthetic xenoestrogens are at least officially recognized to be harmful. So, the latter have some (albeit, woefully inadequate) legal framework for regulation/control and are consciously avoided by many consumers, while the former is left untouched by regulators and mass-consumed by people. It seems, it may be time for EPA/FDA/USDA to look into this matter and reconsider just what exactly constitutes "safe food" and an "endocrine disruptor". Just because something like PUFA is edible, does not mean it is safe or beneficial.

Ovarian toxicity of plant-derived edible oils: a 28 days hormonal and histopathological study in Wistar rat - PubMed
"...Initial evidence on the endocrine-disrupting effects of genetically modified (GM) food motivated us to evaluate the reproductive toxicity of GM and non-GM plant-derived edible oils in female Wistar rats. Sunflower (non-GM), maize (GM), and canola (GM) oils as popular resource dietary oils were purchased from the local market. After tracking the target sequence of CaMV 35S and Nos terminator in all selected batch numbers of edible oils by real-time PCR, oil samples were daily gavaged to 10 weeks Wistar rats for 28 days. Clinical factors, serum lipid levels, sex hormones, and gonadotropins as well as the histopathological changes were compared among groups by statistical analysis. Besides normal lipid profile, gonadotropin levels, and LH/FSH ratio at day 28, serum estradiol levels were raised in both GM (canola oil (p=0.04)) and non-GM (sunflower oil (p=0.008)) groups. In necropsy studies, ovarian atrophies were detected in canola (p<0.001) and sunflower groups (p<0.043) although uterine remained unchanged in all groups. In histopathological evaluations, all sections showed severe congestion and multiple follicular cysts in the sunflower oil group. Simple and secondary cysts in the maize group were the other type of ovarian toxicity in this short period of time. Remarkable estrogenic properties of GM and non-GM plant-derived edible oils with signs of ovarian atrophy, congestion, and cysts may contribute to phthalate or other xenoestrogenic contaminations; therefore, analytical studies of samples and further human populations studies are highly recommended."

Drareg

Calling PUFA a xenoestrogen is a good way to get people off it, most people avoid soya because of the "soy boy" slur associated with its estrogenic compounds. Maybe calling people who take fish oils "clownfish boys" might work.

Lollipop2

One of the few studies that looks into the issue of whether the xenoestrogenic burden we are exposed to 24x7 in Western countries is due entirely to synthetic, industrial chemicals or if there is more to the story. Well, there is definitely more to the story, and the additional evidence we have from the study below is that PUFA is now officially a xenoestrogen, at least as potent as the better known ones such as phthalates, bisphenols, parabens, SSRI drugs, etc. And just as all those xenoestrogens, regular consumptions of PUFA from vegetable oils like canola, sunflower, rapeseed, grapeseed, etc can have a detrimental effect on the female reproductive tract. One could make the argument that PUFA is even more pernicious than the synthetic xenoestrogens due to its widespread consumption and presence in virtually all commercial food/beverage products (as well as its official status as "essential fats"), while the synthetic xenoestrogens are at least officially recognized to be harmful. So, the latter have some (albeit, woefully inadequate) legal framework for regulation/control and are consciously avoided by many consumers, while the former is left untouched by regulators and mass-consumed by people. It seems, it may be time for EPA/FDA/USDA to look into this matter and reconsider just what exactly constitutes "safe food" and an "endocrine disruptor". Just because something like PUFA is edible, does not mean it is safe or beneficial.

Ovarian toxicity of plant-derived edible oils: a 28 days hormonal and histopathological study in Wistar rat - PubMed
"...Initial evidence on the endocrine-disrupting effects of genetically modified (GM) food motivated us to evaluate the reproductive toxicity of GM and non-GM plant-derived edible oils in female Wistar rats. Sunflower (non-GM), maize (GM), and canola (GM) oils as popular resource dietary oils were purchased from the local market. After tracking the target sequence of CaMV 35S and Nos terminator in all selected batch numbers of edible oils by real-time PCR, oil samples were daily gavaged to 10 weeks Wistar rats for 28 days. Clinical factors, serum lipid levels, sex hormones, and gonadotropins as well as the histopathological changes were compared among groups by statistical analysis. Besides normal lipid profile, gonadotropin levels, and LH/FSH ratio at day 28, serum estradiol levels were raised in both GM (canola oil (p=0.04)) and non-GM (sunflower oil (p=0.008)) groups. In necropsy studies, ovarian atrophies were detected in canola (p<0.001) and sunflower groups (p<0.043) although uterine remained unchanged in all groups. In histopathological evaluations, all sections showed severe congestion and multiple follicular cysts in the sunflower oil group. Simple and secondary cysts in the maize group were the other type of ovarian toxicity in this short period of time. Remarkable estrogenic properties of GM and non-GM plant-derived edible oils with signs of ovarian atrophy, congestion, and cysts may contribute to phthalate or other xenoestrogenic contaminations; therefore, analytical studies of samples and further human populations studies are highly recommended."
Powerful study. World take notice.

AlaskaJono

Thanks Haidut. Excellent looking study.

Edible oils... 'natural oils' like canola and sunflower and very common amongst some of my acquantances. Here in Australia the commercial frying oil of choice is cottonseed oil. From cookers.com.au : XLFRY OIL
"Pressed from the seeds of cottonseed, this is one of the country’s most popular oils. It is nut- and dairy-free, vegan-friendly and Halal and Kosher-certified."
What the... maybe it is high oleic, but... is it 'fit for human consumption?'.

So now myself and wife rarely eat out. It used to be a once a month 'fish and chips' meal near the beach. Now, even grilled fish at those places uses crap oil. (My GI tract tells me so). No thanks.

In the mid 1990's I read a book, "Our Stolen Future". Evidence from animal studies in the US that BPA, industrial chemicals etc., caused unhealthy sexual reproductive growth: non-descending testes in male otters in the Columbia River area, etc.. (See link below for a list of chemicals that affect reproduction.)
BPA-free may still leach BPA, and bisphenol-S (BPS) is not a safe alternative, but has been used extensively.
http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/basics/chemlist.htm

Garden, shop, and cook responsibly and safely my friends.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Calling PUFA a xenoestrogen is a good way to get people off it, most people avoid soya because of the "soy boy" slur associated with its estrogenic compounds. Maybe calling people who take fish oils "clownfish boys" might work.

I hope the same label sticks to SSRI and, of course, BC pills (as they explicitly contain estrogens or estrogenic progestins). If even just BC and SSRI get a bad rep and people start shying away from them, that would probably resolve 50%+ of chronic health conditions in the general population. Not to mention getting rid of mass psychosis, "war of the sexes", and probably most imperialist grand plans.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
BPA, industrial chemicals etc., caused unhealthy sexual reproductive growth: non-descending testes in male otters in the Columbia River area, etc..

No need for any of those synthetic xenoestrogens. Cotton seed oil contains gossypol - one of the most potent male sterilizing chemicals known to mankind.

Knowing that, it leaves little doubt that the promotion of PUFA for the last 80+ years is anything but accidental. So, yes, I would very much avoid eating out at any restaurant in your area that uses cotton seed oil, but I would gladly encourage the politicians in the area to consume as much of it as possible :):

Last edited:

AlaskaJono

Addendum: Gentle reader, I wrote the above before, then after lunch. Therefore my train of thought was a bit... waylaid.

The estrogenic effects of oils and plastic containers and environmental factors must not be underestimated. This is in addition to additives in GM feed now de rigueur for animals(and peeps too), medicines for them etc. This is not propoganda. But not much has been done to protect the public (or the environment) by the FDA etc since this book came out. Draw your own conclusions.

About 10 years ago a friend retired from teaching 3rd grade after 30 years. She said that a few girls in her classroom were starting menses and pre menarch symptoms in the last few years. So obvious hormonal changes in the young in just a generation. Hmmmm.

AlaskaJono

No

No need for any of those synthetic xenoestrogens. Cotton seed oil contains gossypol - one of the most potent male sterilizing chemicals known to mankind.

Knowing that, it leaves little doubt that the promotion of PUFA for the last 80+ years is anything but accidental. So, yes, I would very much avoid eating out at any restaurant in your area that uses cotton seed oil, but I would gladly encourage the politicians in the area to consume as much of it as possible :):
So the food supply won't kill us humans (and other animals), just shorten our life spans. AND limit the (reproduction capability) number of the next generation. And the generation after that.

Drareg

I hope the same label sticks to SSRI and, of course, BC pills (as they explicitly contain estrogens or estrogenic progestins). If even just BC and SSRI get a bad rep and people start shying away from them, that would probably resolve 50%+ of chronic health conditions in the general population. Not to mention getting rid of mass psychosis, "war of the sexes", and probably most imperialist grand plans.
I know right, people don’t even question this outside Peat circles, he said it, society was becoming more and more psychopathic because of serotonin increasing in general.

P

Peatness

FEhtwOBXEAMHBbd

Old Irenaeus

How we get companies that sell canned oysters to stop putting the oysters in damned cottonseed oil? It is so annoying.

Tansia

Thank you @haidut. Amazing study. I've checked that "All dietary oils were given daily, in a volume not exceeding 1 ml/ 100 g B.W./rat" . What's the quivalent in humans? I've never calculated ml/kg. Would that be 1.62ml/kg, so arround 100ml dose per 60kg person? Please correct me if those calculations are worng.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals