PUFA And Carotene

J

j.

Ray Peat, when he says that PUFAs are bad for something, he often adds that carotene is bad for the same thing as well. So it makes me wonder about the differences between carotene and PUFA. Can carotene be potentially stored for years as well, as PUFA does?

cliff

I don't think so but it's unsaturated so it can have similar effects to PUFA

gretchen

j. said:
Ray Peat, when he says that PUFAs are bad for something, he often adds that carotene is bad for the same thing as well. So it makes me wonder about the differences between carotene and PUFA. Can carotene be potentially stored for years as well, as PUFA does?

If you can find this for me, I appreciate it. Carotene remains big in skincare world.

cliff

gretchen said:
j. said:

If you can find this for me, I appreciate it. Carotene remains big in skincare world.

EBS Lett. 1999 Oct 29;460(2):212-6. Enhancement of the UVA induction
of haem oxygenase-1 expression by beta-carotene in human skin
fibroblasts. Obermüller-Jevic UC, Francz PI, Frank J, Flaccus A,
Biesalski HK. Department of Biological Chemistry and Nutrition,
University of Hohenheim, Fruwirthstrasse 12, D-70593, Stuttgart,
Germany. beta-Carotene has often been discussed as a means to reduce
the risk of skin photodamage. We studied the antioxidative potential
of beta-carotene in human skin fibroblasts exposed to ultraviolet A
light. Surprisingly, we found a pro-oxidative effect of
beta-carotene.
Using the induction of haem oxygenase-1 as a marker
for oxidative stress, we found a strong enhancement of gene expression
by beta-carotene in ultraviolet A-irradiated cells. This effect was
clearly suppressed by concomitant addition of vitamin E but only
moderately by vitamin C. The results show that beta-carotene has
pro-oxidative properties in human skin fibroblasts exposed to
ultraviolet-A light

gabriel79

Hi J, Carotenes are liposoluble, so they're stored in the fat tissues. That means it may take a while to get rid of (months), but I don't think they're stored for years as PUFAs, because carotenes aren't used to build the cells structures like PUFAs.

Birdie

John Eels said:
What about the carotene in the carrot?
The carotene is a reason to rinse the grated carrot until the water runs colorless.
If you are not concerned with carotene buildup, you don't need to grate and rinse.

John Eels

It's only the layer below the outer skin that one grates of that contains carotene?

OP
J

j.

John Eels said:
It's only the layer below the outer skin that one grates of that contains carotene?

No. The whole thing has it. But I think not much is absorbed if the carrot isn't cooked. By the way, what's wrong with carotene is that while some of it can be converted to vit A, what isn't converted acts like a PUFA.

John Eels

Thank you j. for the clarification. Do you you rinse the grated carrot? It seems tedious to do every day.

OP
J

j.

John Eels said:
Thank you j. for the clarification. Do you you rinse the grated carrot? It seems tedious to do every day.

I actually just get rid of the weird spots in the outer part of the carrot and eat it without even grating it. But I do remember that my poop had much better shape when I grated it and added some oil.

John Eels

You use a cloth and wash the carrots? One similar to strain OJ?

Grating carrots is somewhat laborious. Could you do a batch for several days? How long do they stay fresh? That'd be great. Keep a container of grated carrot in your fridge.

OP
J

j.

John Eels said:
You use a cloth and wash the carrots? One similar to strain OJ?

Grating carrots is somewhat laborious. Could you do a batch for several days? How long do they stay fresh? That'd be great. Keep a container of grated carrot in your fridge.

I wash the carrot and then use a knife to peel the outer part a little bit. But I "should" grate it.

I think nwo mentioned that when he grates carrots and keeps them in the fridge, they lose a bit of color, and he thinks they lose carotene.

nwo2012

Easy solution. You buy an electric grater for about $30. Grate enough carrot for the week. Use a large strainer/sieve and keep running water through the grated carrot until the water runs clear. I also use one hand to squeeze the living crap out of the carrot while the water runs. I then pour through some distilled water. Keep grated carrot in a large bowl in the fridge, then take out enough for each day and add coconut oil and vinegar. Eat.

Edit: Yes the slightly orange bits tend to turn white over time so yes I think some of the carotene is lost over time. I guess that's why those health freaks that juice carrots, lol, recommend to drink it right away or risk losing lots of the healthful beta carotene. :lol:

OP
J

j.

nwo2012 said:
Easy solution. You buy an electric grater for about $30. Grate enough carrot for the week. Use a large strainer/sieve and keep running water through the grated carrot until the water runs clear. I also use one hand to squeeze the living crap out of the carrot while the water runs. I then pour through some distilled water. Keep grated carrot in a large bowl in the fridge, then take out enough for each day and add coconut oil and vinegar. Eat.

Very ingenious.

nwo2012

j. said:
nwo2012 said:

Very ingenious.

Hehe. I just like to be organised. This way in a busy working week nothing gets missed. There are 3 of us eating the carrot salad daily (can't quite get the youngest to eat it just yet) so this is a great time saver.