Puberty often described with hyperbole?

TobyBjorn

I'm curious about whether the common description of male puberty (as a period of excessive arousal and disproportionate libido relative to adulthood) is a functional hyperbole, or if people actually did experience a time of additional libido followed by a levelling off.
I experienced puberty as a transition from having no interest in sex to having a seemingly pretty reasonable level of interest, and that level has remained quite stable well into adulthood. It seems reasonable to me that polite western people would have an incentive to distance themselves from their own juvenile behaviors while aknowledging some of the issues that may arise, so this puberty-as-satyriasis story becomes a symbolized cultural mythology. However it is also plausible that I am wrong.

What do yall think?
proxy-image.jpg

I'm curious about whether the common description of male puberty (as a period of excessive arousal and disproportionate libido relative to adulthood) is a functional hyperbole, or if people actually did experience a time of additional libido followed by a levelling off.
I experienced puberty as a transition from having no interest in sex to having a seemingly pretty reasonable level of interest, and that level has remained quite stable well into adulthood. It seems reasonable to me that polite western people would have an incentive to distance themselves from their own juvenile behaviors while aknowledging some of the issues that may arise, so this puberty-as-satyriasis story becomes a symbolized cultural mythology. However it is also plausible that I am wrong.

What do yall think?
View attachment 42445
I think hormones really rage in puberty, in both sexes. I think maybe the “westerners” have puberty worse, in some ways, because they can afford to indulge in lazy crappy food, from sit down chain restaurants or can’t eating a lot of fast food and poor quality food.

Gânico

Puberty is death for most people, as your resilient child high metabolism is fading away. No wonder why modern humans are experiencing it earlier and earlier.

Michael Mohn

... so this puberty-as-satyriasis story becomes a symbolized cultural mythology. However it is also plausible that I am wrong.

What do yall think?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by these overloaded terms. Maybe you could explain more what these terms mean to you like 'functional hyperbole' and 'symbolized cultural mythology'?

Reality is that males at 16 are in peak fertility but have no access to a partner. Once a sexual partner is available the focus on sex becomes relativ to other needs like job performance, friendship to peers or mentors, social status, good food, eventually fatherhood etc.

OP
TobyBjorn

TobyBjorn

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by these overloaded terms. Maybe you could explain more what these terms mean to you like 'functional hyperbole' and 'symbolized cultural mythology'?

Reality is that males at 16 are in peak fertility but have no access to a partner. Once a sexual partner is available the focus on sex becomes relativ to other needs like job performance, friendship to peers or mentors, social status, good food, eventually fatherhood etc.
Sorry about that. By 'functional hyperbole' I mean 'useful or convenient exaggeration.' By 'symbolized cultural mythology' I am speculating that the familiar narrative of the horny teenager suits our cultural view of sexuality, so it has become a symbol in the sense that it is understood without going into detail, it is often stated as matter-of-fact and goes unquestioned.

This is my personal speculation that I am not taking too seriously. I was just as horny at 35 as I was as a teenager, so I just wondered if others had a similar experience.

Back
Top Bottom