PTH - the connection of all stress hormones

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Again from Danny Roddys telegram . Join it guys, it has great info !

IMG_20210901_185548_798.jpg
IMG_20210901_185812_974.jpg
IMG_20210901_185816_952.jpg

Wilfrid

Insulin, with its calcium interrelationships, may play an important role too in PTH secretion.

Abstract
Objective
: Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a key hormone in regulation of calcium homeostasis and its secretion is regulated by calcium. Secretion of PTH is attenuated during intake of nutrients, but the underlying mechanism(s) are unknown. We hypothesized that insulin acts as an acute regulator of PTH secretion.
Methods: Intact PTH was measured in plasma from patients with T1D and matched healthy individuals during 4-h oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) and isoglycemic i.v. glucose infusions on 2 separate days. In addition, expression of insulin receptors on surgical specimens of parathyroid glands was assessed by immunochemistry (IHC) and quantitative PCR (qPCR).
Results: The inhibition of PTH secretion was more pronounced in healthy individuals compared to patients with T1D during an OGTT (decrementalAUC0–240min: −5256 ± 3954 min × ng/L and −2408 ± 1435 min × ng/L, P = 0.030). Insulin levels correlated significantly and inversely with PTH levels, also after adjusting for levels of several gut hormones
and BMI (P = 0.002). Expression of insulin receptors in human parathyroid glands was detected by both IHC and qPCR.
Conclusion: Our study suggests that insulin may act as an acute regulator of PTH secretion in humans.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Insulin, with its calcium interrelationships, may play an important role too in PTH secretion.

Abstract
Objective
: Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a key hormone in regulation of calcium homeostasis and its secretion is regulated by calcium. Secretion of PTH is attenuated during intake of nutrients, but the underlying mechanism(s) are unknown. We hypothesized that insulin acts as an acute regulator of PTH secretion.
Methods: Intact PTH was measured in plasma from patients with T1D and matched healthy individuals during 4-h oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) and isoglycemic i.v. glucose infusions on 2 separate days. In addition, expression of insulin receptors on surgical specimens of parathyroid glands was assessed by immunochemistry (IHC) and quantitative PCR (qPCR).
Results: The inhibition of PTH secretion was more pronounced in healthy individuals compared to patients with T1D during an OGTT (decrementalAUC0–240min: −5256 ± 3954 min × ng/L and −2408 ± 1435 min × ng/L, P = 0.030). Insulin levels correlated significantly and inversely with PTH levels, also after adjusting for levels of several gut hormones
and BMI (P = 0.002). Expression of insulin receptors in human parathyroid glands was detected by both IHC and qPCR.
Conclusion: Our study suggests that insulin may act as an acute regulator of PTH secretion in humans.
Interesting !

L_C

@Mauritio

What suppresses PTH?

Recently, I tested and my PTH was 10 pg/ml (15-65 pg/ml). So way, below normal range. My vitamin D was 47ng/mL and my prolactin was way elevated beyond normal range (I blame work stress for it).

One would think that PTH would be high with elevated prolactin. I think Danny said vitamin D can lower PTH but my vitamin D is not too high.

What causes PTH to be under active? Thank you.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio

What suppresses PTH?

Recently, I tested and my PTH was 10 pg/ml (15-65 pg/ml). So way, below normal range. My vitamin D was 47ng/mL and my prolactin was way elevated beyond normal range (I blame work stress for it).

One would think that PTH would be high with elevated prolactin. I think Danny said vitamin D can lower PTH but my vitamin D is not too high.

Not sure,somethings doesnt fit here ... Too many variables. Maybe try haiduts nail test.

L_C

Not sure,somethings doesnt fit here ... Too many variables. Maybe try haiduts nail test.
I did...there were a few things out of range but the most out of wack was high aluminum.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I did...there were a few things out of range but the most out of wack was high aluminum.
Interesting. But I ment the hormones. The long term value should give you a clearer picture.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

"These results suggest that hypermagnesemia rapidly decreases the secretion of parathyroid hormone in vivo in human subjects and that parathyroid hormone levels remain depressed despite concomitant hypocalcemia."

youngsinatra

@Mauritio

What suppresses PTH?

Do you take retinol?
I have vitamin A toxicity and my PTH was almost undetectable.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
@Mauritio

What suppresses PTH?

Refreshing a kick-**** but old thread.

The half-life of PTH is short and might be acutely affected by many factors. I would check again, first thing in the morning, fasted, and with a day break from supplementing vitamin D.