Psyllium Vs Cascara

DaveFoster

Experiences? Thoughts? Both together?

I'm suffering from constipation brought on by mirtazapine. Rectal pain and bleeding is something I'm trying to avoid. What do you guys do to stave off the digestive Satan?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Sun, cascara sagrada, T3, well cooked greens, mushrooms.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys.

@charlie How often do you eat greens, and what greens do you eat? Also, do you eat your mushrooms plain or with fat (butter)?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
@charlie How often do you eat greens, and what greens do you eat? Also, do you eat your mushrooms plain or with fat (butter)?
I rotate between greens and mushrooms, make a batch of greens, eat them, then a batch of mushrooms. Usually collards and kale, in the slow cooker with chicken broth, salt, sugar, vinegar, onions, garlic(I fry onions and garlic first and then add to slow cooker), and a ton of salt.

The mushrooms I boil for 3 hours and then I make a soup, or fry then with coconut oil with mushrooms, garlic and a little bit of butter.

tyler

Psyllium husk didn't do much for me. But cascara changed my life. It took my system about one week to get used to it and for stools to normalize. But I went from a BM every 2-3 days to about 2-3 proper BM's per day. I no longer have to be cautious about anything I eat (at least in regards to it affecting my BMs) I take 1 tablet at night before bed. I have also gone nights without taking it and had the same consistency the next day. I will probably try to taper off of it soon.

SQu

I used psyllium for years, it worked well, I switched to cascara on peating. I had also heard vague stories that psyllium has drawbacks, I forget what they are now. I much prefer cascara, it is easier to take, and so gentle, and I felt other health benefits when I started. Like everything else I have taken, those wore off, but at least it is still the best laxative I know of.

TMI warning...

I used psyllium for many many years, and was very dependent on it. I think that it was causing the headaches and problems. I'm getting better results with a little bit of grated carrot at night, using the test that Arturo taught me. No soiling of underwear. No soiling of toilet paper. That is a test that shows the gut has some good health about it.

I don't find Cascara necessary. I eat lots of ripe fruit, drink milk and some OJ, and eat some bread (a slice or two a day).

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I rotate between greens and mushrooms, make a batch of greens, eat them, then a batch of mushrooms. Usually collards and kale, in the slow cooker with chicken broth, salt, sugar, vinegar, onions, garlic(I fry onions and garlic first and then add to slow cooker), and a ton of salt.

The mushrooms I boil for 3 hours and then I make a soup, or fry then with coconut oil with mushrooms, garlic and a little bit of butter.
Thanks, Charlie. I'll try using some of these recipes.

Psyllium husk didn't do much for me. But cascara changed my life. It took my system about one week to get used to it and for stools to normalize. But I went from a BM every 2-3 days to about 2-3 proper BM's per day. I no longer have to be cautious about anything I eat (at least in regards to it affecting my BMs) I take 1 tablet at night before bed. I have also gone nights without taking it and had the same consistency the next day. I will probably try to taper off of it soon.
I've also had a fantastic experience with cascara.

I used psyllium for years, it worked well, I switched to cascara on peating. I had also heard vague stories that psyllium has drawbacks, I forget what they are now. I much prefer cascara, it is easier to take, and so gentle, and I felt other health benefits when I started. Like everything else I have taken, those wore off, but at least it is still the best laxative I know of.
Same.

TMI warning...

I used psyllium for many many years, and was very dependent on it. I think that it was causing the headaches and problems. I'm getting better results with a little bit of grated carrot at night, using the test that Arturo taught me. No soiling of underwear. No soiling of toilet paper. That is a test that shows the gut has some good health about it.

I don't find Cascara necessary. I eat lots of ripe fruit, drink milk and some OJ, and eat some bread (a slice or two a day).
Thanks for the input, hamster. I also find that everything seems to be working well without any residue left on the TP.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals