Psychosis And Dopamine

biggirlkisss

I was told that increasing dopamine is good and this reduces serotonin correct? Why do doctors believe increasing dopamine leads to psychosis then. Any studies?

Frankdee20

This Dopamine theory of psychosis may have roots in observing/studying Amphetamine psychosis way back in the mid twentieth century. Since Amphetamine's primary actions effect Dopamine reuptake/release, and amphetamine psychosis strongly resembled organic psychosis, they postulated this. I'm not sure if they knew or accounted for its effects on Serotonin/Norepinephrine, as 5ht is the target of many new antipsychotic drugs. Interestingly, the insanity one gets from amphetamine or cocaine excess is vastly different from LSD intoxication, which was also resembling organic mental illness. Too much of that cocaine or amphetamine seem to elicit paranoia/grandiosity more so than LSD. I wonder if paranoid schizophrenia subset of schizophrenia is unique in its propensity to stem from excess Dopamine, more so than disorganized or catatonic types. LSD can be more akin to a schizotypal way of thinking, magic, spirituality, etc., which is less disquieting to observe than a madman on speed.

Frankdee20

Also, too much of a good thing is possible lol

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

ray talks about in a article small amounts of cocaine being benefit though large amounts very stressful coka leaf would be good.

Prosper

Loosely put: increasing dopamine increases perceptual awareness. Beyond a certain point the capability for processing sensory information becomes greater than the intensity of available raw perceptual input, so the mind begins to produce artificial stimulus by extrapolating from your state of consciousness until an equilibirum is reached between the level of awareness & the intensity of conscious experience.

This is also why sensory deprivation tends to cause hallucinations. When the surrounding reality provides less information than what the mind is capable of handling, the mind has to compensate by creating additional information out of thin air. I wonder why. Perhaps the brain has to be able to process a certain amount of information at all times in order to maintain the illusion of consciousness.