Psychological Issues With Peeing In Public

Inspired

You can overcome it. I have. It got better over time. Now, I don't really care, except if someone I know wants to piss next to me. I find that wierd for some reason. It isn't the end of the world, but my preference is to have my privacy when I take a leak.

It does get better though.

Jib

I've always had this problem, even from an early age.

If I go into a urinal and there is someone else in there, I will just turn around and leave. I don't even consider it. A lot of times if I'm at a friend's house and I have to use the bathroom, I'll drive home. Not kidding, it's that bad.

This "bathroom phobia" thing really kind of ruins my entire life. I am basically incapable of using the bathroom if anyone else is even remotely in the area. You can imagine the limitations this puts on a person's life. I never met anyone else with this problem; it's embarrassing to talk about, but really a true hell to live in. I'm sorry you experience anxiety with this as well.

I believe somehow it can be overcome. Strangely enough, I find it easier to go when I practice a foreign language in my head. It completely takes all of my focus. I used to learn some foreign languages for fun and trying to construct sentences or remember how particular words are conjugated has, on rare occasions, let me urinate more quickly and without issue.

Practice may be required....scary, but perhaps the only true way. You can even practice just going up to a urinal when someone else is there, unzip your pants and get ready to pee, and even knowing that you're not going to do it, just stand there. I've done this before and literally stood in a panic for like 5 minutes, lmao. Like the other guy is just going over, washing his hands, then he's looking at himself in the mirror, doing his hair, cracking his knuckles, doing his hair again, etc.

Meanwhile I'm like, "Holy Christ, dude, f***ing LEAVE!!!" -- screaming it in my mind. While I'm just standing there with my zipper undone, holding my **** in my hand for like 5 minutes without peeing....and the more time goes by, the stupider I feel, the more I'm panicking. It was awful. But also funny because in reality it isn't a big deal and I am just like freaking out and losing my mind over it.

It's like something out of a comedy sketch. Seriously. You will probably not be that unlucky, and people will just pee and leave. Immersing yourself in the anxiety and facing it head on may help. And exercises that occupy your mind with something else, like a math problem, or foreign language, anything.

Good luck friend :) I'll need some good luck too xD

brix

I’ve had this issue before and if I have headphones in, I don’t experience this.

inurendotoxin

Yeah I've had this since I was a kid. It's really common, but essentially just about learning to relax. It's definitely gotten easier over the years.

It's probably correlated with thyroid in some way since general uptightness and performance anxiety seem to manifest in multiple scenarios.

Learning not to give a ***t and just admitting it to other dudes actually made this easier for me, but still about 75% of the time I can't go unless it's in a cubical.

The exception to this is is when I'm drunk, which proves it's a relaxation issue.

Like other posters have suggested, the more you intellectualize it, the more you compound the issue. Pissing is an instinctive process, so the problem is intellectual. Distraction techniques like the headphones thing have also helped for me at times. I use whatever means are available. Meditation and breathing stuff might also work.

Cirion

I used to have this problem. I eventually got over it, just takes time. I still usually refuse to go right immediately adjacent to someone else though, unless there's a divider, in which case I don't have a problem. My best friend once purposefully used the one adjacent to me just to be a douche and I got mad at him lol.

steel_reserve

Have the same problem. Never really found a trick that worked. I just force myself to go whether I like it or not.

Going when I didn't have a strong urge made it worse. It's a lot easier when I know for a fact it's going to rip out.

My anxiety started around puberty. I moved to a school that had that trough type urinal. So scared but also so jealous of the laughing and carrying on I missed out on.

OP
E

Experienced

I've done this before and literally stood in a panic for like 5 minutes, lmao. Like the other guy is just going over, washing his hands, then he's looking at himself in the mirror, doing his hair, cracking his knuckles, doing his hair again, etc.

Meanwhile I'm like, "Holy Christ, dude, f***ing LEAVE!!!" -- screaming it in my mind. While I'm just standing there with my zipper undone, holding my **** in my hand for like 5 minutes without peeing....and the more time goes by, the stupider I feel, the more I'm panicking. It was awful. But also funny because in reality it isn't a big deal and I am just like freaking out and losing my mind over it.
:D so relatable.

Good luck friend :) I'll need some good luck too xD
I wish you brother hopefully it gets better for us.

OP
E

Experienced

I used to have this problem. I eventually got over it, just takes time.
I really really hope that it takes time I don't want to carry this issue with me , my whole life.

Like other posters have suggested, the more you intellectualize it, the more you compound the issue. Pissing is an instinctive process, so the problem is intellectual. Distraction techniques like the headphones thing have also helped for me at times. I use whatever means are available. Meditation and breathing stuff might also work.
Thanks for the headsup .

I Wish you all goodluck with it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals