haidut

Forum Supporter
It is rare to see a study like the one below that does not hold anything back and exposes psychiatry for what it really is - fraud. Well, the exact words used were a "disingenuous categorical system" but words like "worthless" and "meaningless" were also used freely. In summary, psychiatry is a highly profitable scam, where complex sounding language and claims to authority have managed to mask not only the complete uselessness of its diagnoses but also the real cause of mental health disorders - trauma and adverse events in a person's life. In yet another great example of Synchronicity (Synchronicity - Wikipedia), I posted just days ago that more than 90% of depression cases are caused by stress.

Vast Majority (90%) Of Depression Cases Are Caused By Stress

So, apparently psychiatry is quite aware of the role of stress/trauma, yet still chooses to push the genetic or the "unknown cause" narrative. In light of this behavior, I think the study below labeling psychiatry a "disingenuous categorical system" does not even come close to describing the nefariousness of the profession. Unfortunately, the profession is so firmly embedded inside the pocket of Big Pharma that it is highly unlikely much will change until the patients themselves realize they are being both scammed and poisoned, while also often getting ruining financially. Many health insurance plans either do not cover or cover very little of the costs associated with mental health care. Maybe this will turn to be a blessing in disguise - i.e. so many fewer people end up seeing a psychiatrist than if the service was fully covered by insurance. One thing is certain, even insiders of the profession are now so sick of this scam that they are willing to risk their careers publishing scathing studies like the one below.

Heterogeneity in psychiatric diagnostic classification - ScienceDirect
Psychiatric diagnosis 'scientifically meaningless'

"...A new study, published in Psychiatry Research, has concluded that psychiatric diagnoses are scientifically worthless as tools to identify discrete mental health disorders. The main findings of the research were: 1) Psychiatric diagnoses all use different decision-making rules; 2) There is a huge amount of overlap in symptoms between diagnoses; 3) Almost all diagnoses mask the role of trauma and adverse events; 4) Diagnoses tell us little about the individual patient and what treatment they need."

"...The authors conclude that diagnostic labelling represents 'a disingenuous categorical system'. Lead researcher Dr Kate Allsopp, University of Liverpool, said: "Although diagnostic labels create the illusion of an explanation they are scientifically meaningless and can create stigma and prejudice. I hope these findings will encourage mental health professionals to think beyond diagnoses and consider other explanations of mental distress, such as trauma and other adverse life experiences." Professor Peter Kinderman, University of Liverpool, said: "This study provides yet more evidence that the biomedical diagnostic approach in psychiatry is not fit for purpose. Diagnoses frequently and uncritically reported as 'real illnesses' are in fact made on the basis of internally inconsistent, confused and contradictory patterns of largely arbitrary criteria. The diagnostic system wrongly assumes that all distress results from disorder, and relies heavily on subjective judgments about what is normal." Professor John Read, University of East London, said: "Perhaps it is time we stopped pretending that medical-sounding labels contribute anything to our understanding of the complex causes of human distress or of what kind of help we need when distressed."

:clap: :bravo

Amazoniac

Have you thought about the number of decisions that we have to make in a day compared to how it must have been in the good ol' days of Merthiolate? How can this excess information not lead to decision fatigue, mental exhaustion, avoidance behavior, hopelessness, and death?

He had to select these two from 200 smileys available.

Last edited:

Cirion

I tried to explain this to my bipolar ex-gf but of course she thought *I* was the crazy one for suggesting stress was the cause, lol. For some reason, I don't know why, to suggest that there's a simple "Cure" for mental disorders is somehow offensive, and having an "incurable" disease is almost like a badge of honor. It's like mentally ill don't WANT to be cured? I don't understand the mindset.

The fact is that every aspect of her life was very high stress from med school (that's when her first manic symptoms began), going 18 hrs without eating almost every day (and when she would eat it would be almost no calories at all), working night shift (no sunlight), clear hypothyroid symptoms (always cold, when I first visited her rental unit the heat was up to like 82-84F) having insane stress job, and then couple that with the loss of her mom, all that is enough to make almost anyone bipolar or otherwise mentally ill.

If *I* were a mental illness "expert" my treatment plan would look something like this

-- Quit your job (if it's stressful, at least), move to a great environment at least temporarily
-- Cut out stressful relationships
-- Stay away from EMF's
-- Eat well, don't fast, get enough sleep
-- MAYBE take a little hormonal supplementation, possibly some vitamin/mineral supplementation, thyroid, etc... (as needed)
-- Prescribe mandatory sunlight and grounding to the earth every day
-- Find some enjoyable hobby(s)
-- Other destressing things as much as possible like Epsom salt baths, massages...

... Basically the treatment plan for hypothyroid...

... That's pretty much it... but, that wouldn't make much money because it involves no drugs or otherwise selling much of any product or service... and sadly that's why no one will tell people what they REALLY need

Last edited:

lampofred

For some reason, I don't know why, to suggest that there's a simple "Cure" for mental disorders is somehow offensive, and having an "incurable" disease is almost like a badge of honor. It's like mentally ill don't WANT to be cured? I don't understand the mindset.

I think it's because stress raises metabolism and makes some people feel more alive. Removing stress would make them go into a serotonin dominant hypothyroid state. Having high CO2 levels is the only way to have both a high metabolism and a low stress life, but unfortunately no one knows about thyroid, and CO2 is made out to be the devil when it is precisely the opposite.

Cirion

I think it's because stress raises metabolism and makes some people feel more alive. Removing stress would make them go into a serotonin dominant hypothyroid state. Having high CO2 levels is the only way to have both a high metabolism and a low stress life, but unfortunately no one knows about thyroid, and CO2 is made out to be the devil when it is precisely the opposite.

Many older veteran posters here said that CO2 is arguably the most important aspect of the ideal metabolism, definitely.

I'm really close to just pulling the trigger and paying $600 for a Capnograph so I can start measuring my own CO2 levels with actual hard data. Only thing stopping me is I'm frugal and tired of burning $$$ lol. VoS said you wanna be at about 6%, maybe even 7%, CO2 for the truly optimal metabolic state and one way to quickly get there is to keep ingesting air treated with 6% CO2 (air normally has very little CO2, much less than 1%). Since our air has less than 1% CO2, I say, screw the green police, let loose on CO2 emissions... lol

lampofred

Many older veteran posters here said that CO2 is arguably the most important aspect of the ideal metabolism, definitely.

I'm really close to just pulling the trigger and paying $600 for a Capnograph so I can start measuring my own CO2 levels with actual hard data. Only thing stopping me is I'm frugal and tired of burning $$$ lol. VoS said you wanna be at about 6%, maybe even 7%, CO2 for the truly optimal metabolic state and one way to quickly get there is to keep ingesting air treated with 6% CO2 (air normally has very little CO2, much less than 1%). Since our air has less than 1% CO2, I say, screw the green police, let loose on CO2 emissions... lol

Ah VoS. The guy was always on cloud 9. Truly blissed out. That's the proof to me that high CO2 is really the defining feature of a good metabolism.

aquaman

It is rare to see a study like the one below that does not hold anything back and exposes psychiatry for what it really is - fraud. Well, the exact words used were a "disingenuous categorical system" but words like "worthless" and "meaningless" were also used freely. In summary, psychiatry is a highly profitable scam, where complex sounding language and claims to authority have managed to mask not only the complete uselessness of its diagnoses but also the real cause of mental health disorders - trauma and adverse events in a person's life. In yet another great example of Synchronicity (Synchronicity - Wikipedia), I posted just days ago that more than 90% of depression cases are caused by stress.

Vast Majority (90%) Of Depression Cases Are Caused By Stress

So, apparently psychiatry is quite aware of the role of stress/trauma, yet still chooses to push the genetic or the "unknown cause" narrative. In light of this behavior, I think the study below labeling psychiatry a "disingenuous categorical system" does not even come close to describing the nefariousness of the profession. Unfortunately, the profession is so firmly embedded inside the pocket of Big Pharma that it is highly unlikely much will change until the patients themselves realize they are being both scammed and poisoned, while also often getting ruining financially. Many health insurance plans either do not cover or cover very little of the costs associated with mental health care. Maybe this will turn to be a blessing in disguise - i.e. so many fewer people end up seeing a psychiatrist than if the service was fully covered by insurance. One thing is certain, even insiders of the profession are now so sick of this scam that they are willing to risk their careers publishing scathing studies like the one below.

Heterogeneity in psychiatric diagnostic classification - ScienceDirect
Psychiatric diagnosis 'scientifically meaningless'

"...A new study, published in Psychiatry Research, has concluded that psychiatric diagnoses are scientifically worthless as tools to identify discrete mental health disorders. The main findings of the research were: 1) Psychiatric diagnoses all use different decision-making rules; 2) There is a huge amount of overlap in symptoms between diagnoses; 3) Almost all diagnoses mask the role of trauma and adverse events; 4) Diagnoses tell us little about the individual patient and what treatment they need."

"...The authors conclude that diagnostic labelling represents 'a disingenuous categorical system'. Lead researcher Dr Kate Allsopp, University of Liverpool, said: "Although diagnostic labels create the illusion of an explanation they are scientifically meaningless and can create stigma and prejudice. I hope these findings will encourage mental health professionals to think beyond diagnoses and consider other explanations of mental distress, such as trauma and other adverse life experiences." Professor Peter Kinderman, University of Liverpool, said: "This study provides yet more evidence that the biomedical diagnostic approach in psychiatry is not fit for purpose. Diagnoses frequently and uncritically reported as 'real illnesses' are in fact made on the basis of internally inconsistent, confused and contradictory patterns of largely arbitrary criteria. The diagnostic system wrongly assumes that all distress results from disorder, and relies heavily on subjective judgments about what is normal." Professor John Read, University of East London, said: "Perhaps it is time we stopped pretending that medical-sounding labels contribute anything to our understanding of the complex causes of human distress or of what kind of help we need when distressed."

Is psychiatry a specific term in the USA, or general (talking) therapy?

From various types of therapists I have seen or heard about, none diagnose as such, and I e never heard about genetic links. They help people uncover hidden or unresolved trauma/ life experiences, and work through it.

I may be getting the wrong idea about what they/you label as psychiatry though, maybe it’s a very specific type of therapy that relies on medication?

tankasnowgod

-- Quit your job (if it's stressful, at least), move to a great environment at least temporarily

Overall, it's a pretty good list, but for most people, just up and quitting their job will just trade in the stress of the job for the alternate stress of having no income.

tankasnowgod

From various types of therapists I have seen or heard about, none diagnose as such, and I e never heard about genetic links. They help people uncover hidden or unresolved trauma/ life experiences, and work through it.

I may be getting the wrong idea about what they/you label as psychiatry though, maybe it’s a very specific type of therapy that relies on medication?

Psychiatrists are always MDs. Therapists and Psychologists may or may not have a doctorate, and often that is a PhD.

Psychiatrists can diagnose conditions and prescribe medication.

Cirion

Overall, it's a pretty good list, but for most people, just up and quitting their job will just trade in the stress of the job for the alternate stress of having no income.

True, some in the list may not be doable, but if all could be done, it would result in the best outcome.

Some members here have indeed quit their job, if only temporarily, and found it helped them heal quicker. You can always take a few months leave of absence, some employers may let you do this.

I would argue that some jobs are indeed stressful enough to merit quitting them entirely though or at least taking a break. Personally, I find even "low stress jobs" are stressful when hypothyroid, due to being forced to going to work each and every workday whether you feel up to it or not, being forced to wake up at a certain time, and being forced to spend all day indoors with no sunlight and in some cases, a high EMF environment also. There's been one or two people here that simply had no choice due to electro hypersensitivity and whatnot. If you have EHS it's literally impossible to function around technology. People with EHS are sensitive to cell towers as far as a mile away. I'm pretty sensitive to EMF, I'd consider myself "Electro Sensitive" because I definitely have strong tangible symptoms around technology (a step below "Electro Hyper Sensitive") and I probably wouldn't be able to work a job that required me to be around intense RF all day. Luckily, my cubicle is pretty low EMF, and I never use my phone or anything wireless unless absolutely necessary.

But, overall I agree with your sentiment, and its indeed why people choose to stay. The problem is when you're hypo, you are stuck in a learned helplessness and can't imagine nor have the energy to pursue a different field of occupation, and so you feel "I have to have/keep this current job". That's the atrocity that is the Western workforce -- you're essentially expected to work until you die and be a good corporate slave.

gaze

Have you thought about the number of decisions that we have to make in a day compared to how it must have been in the good ol' days of Merthiolate? How can this excess information not lead to decision fatigue, mental exhaustion, avoidance behavior, hopelessness, and death?

I’m struggling with this right now. cell phone addiction and scrolling through twitter and these things has given me information overload. I feel as if my brain is so used to scrolling through information that my memory recall has become so poor, because i’ve dumbed down my brain to not learn the things it sees and reads. Also my attention span is screwed. it’s a tough cycle to break out of

Amazoniac

I’m struggling with this right now. cell phone addiction and scrolling through twitter and these things has given me information overload. I feel as if my brain is so used to scrolling through information that my memory recall has become so poor, because i’ve dumbed down my brain to not learn the things it sees and reads. Also my attention span is screwed. it’s a tough cycle to break out of
I have the impression that moving towards minimalism that's common nowadays is beyond the natural evolution where simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, it seems to be also out of desperation. The cognitive demand has been so high that we's no longer willing to afford what's physically superfluous anymore. There's too much information, so screw ornamentation. :ss

Frankdee20

Psychiatry is not an empirical science

Frankdee20

You can get ten different diagnoses from ten clinicians

:ss

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It's like mentally ill don't WANT to be cured? I don't understand the mindset.

The ones that are manipulative and psychopathic use their mental illness to get a pass in life in so many situations where a normal person would get brutalized. Not sure what percentage of mentally ill do that but the truly batshit insane ones I have encountered always used their mental illness as an excuse to basically trash the world around them and still come out on top, while also demanding empathy.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

The article is strictly about the medical profession of psychiatrist, not (talk) therapist, even though some psychiatrist do that too. I guess the main difference is that a psychiatrist is an actual doctor (MD), can officially diagnose diseases defined in the DSM, and prescribe medication (or even hospitalization) for them. The typical therapist is a psychology graduate degree holder (MS or PhD) and they do not diagnose or prescribe drugs.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
You can get ten different diagnoses from ten clinicians

Actually, the same is true of regular allopathic medicine. If you get a diagnosis and want a second, third, etc opinion from other doctors there will be on average at least as many diagnoses as doctors you see. There was an article about this in the NYT about 15 years ago when I was just leaving college. There were even class action lawsuits for malpractice due to this craziness so as a result now many states require you to present all prior diagnoses you have received to any new doctor you see or you can be liable for fraud. Not all states have such laws but I think at least half do. It's just mind boggling. Why would I go to a second doctor for another opinion and present him/her with the previously furnished one(s)??! If I am going to a new doctor, clearly I want a new, unbiased opinion, not an analysis of the already given diagnosis. There is a an inherent conflict of interest that the profession will never publicly admit, since doctors tend to not compromise each other and stand to gain from always recommending treatment.
Five things you may not know about second opinions, from the Harvard Health Letter - Harvard Health
"...Researchers based at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel recently surveyed hundreds of orthopedic surgeons and neurologists to explore whether second opinions are influenced by the first ones. After distributing hypothetical patient scenarios, they found that orthopedic surgeons were more likely to recommend a more "interventionist" treatment if they knew the first physician had advised one, and they leaned toward a more conservative approach if the patient hadn't yet received an opinion."

Last edited: