JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Yes, I said above that the diagnoses are artificial and do change for the same individual - by the same or different doctors over time.

It would be wonderful to have objective biomarkers, but no one seems to be willing to pay for that research these days.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Unlike depression, there is nothing "phantom" about lifelong schizophrenia. It does really exist.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Unlike depression, there is nothing "phantom" about lifelong schizophrenia. It does really exist.

I think you are misreading my posts. I fully agree that the condition exists. I was saying that the article discussed in the post is criticizing the profession and does NOT claim mental conditions are phantom issues that do not exist.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I think you are misreading my posts. I fully agree that the condition exists. I was saying that the article discussed in the post is criticizing the profession and does NOT claim mental conditions are phantom issues that do not exist.
Yes - I'm reading too fast!

nbznj

an alternative to psychiatry is understanding one self with stuff like Enneagram / Beatrice Chestnut's science, advanced MBTI and Jungian typology.

Understanding self typing and other peoples' types makes it all so much better to navigate.

(especially as an ENTJ, sexual type 8w7)

proteome

Forum Supporter
f you get a diagnosis and want a second, third, etc opinion from other doctors there will be on average at least as many diagnoses as doctors you see.
I did not experience this in Mexico. I saw two doctors, in two different cities, and did not tell the second one about the diagnosis or prescriptions of the first.

The second doctor took an ultrasound of my liver on the first visit, at point of care, and he ended up writing almost the same diagnosis (including delayed stomach vacating) as the doctor I'd seen earlier.

He also made mostly the same treatment recommendations, down to 3 out of 4 of the exact same recommended prescriptions.

Unfortunately, both of them referred me to psychiatry, which I look on with some skepticism. I tend not to want to become a long-term prescription-taking "pharm animal" due to Psychiatry's poor research culture, the outsize influence on Psychiatry by the pharmaceutical industry, and the unwillingness of the field's practitioners and researchers to adapt to new information. This unwillingness to adapt seems to go beyond even the rest of allopathic medicine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I did not experience this in Mexico. I saw two doctors, in two different cities, and did not tell the second one about the diagnosis or prescriptions of the first.

The second doctor took an ultrasound of my liver on the first visit, at point of care, and he ended up writing almost the same diagnosis (including delayed stomach vacating) as the doctor I'd seen earlier.

He also made mostly the same treatment recommendations, down to 3 out of 4 of the exact same recommended prescriptions.

Unfortunately, both of them referred me to psychiatry, which I look on with some skepticism. I tend not to want to become a long-term prescription-taking "pharm animal" due to Psychiatry's poor research culture, the outsize influence on Psychiatry by the pharmaceutical industry, and the unwillingness of the field's practitioners and researchers to adapt to new information. This unwillingness to adapt seems to go beyond even the rest of allopathic medicine.

Good for you, but if you believe in statistics, your experience was just good luck. I guess the diagnostic mismatch varies by condition and whether the doctors in a specific locale share symptoms in an online database where another doctor can just input symptoms from the same patient and get a prior matching diagnose with high confidence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals