PSSD - Thyroid - TRH connection

pippocui

Hi everyone. As you know I have PSSD from SSRI use. SSRIs caused me hashimoto, with severe hypothyroidism. Despite the integration of T3 and T4 I don't solve the problem. My temperatures are low, metabolism slow, breathing hard, dry skin, hair loss, no libido, erectile dysfunction.

I have found that PSSD does not benefit from levothyroxine / liothyronine or the dried thyroid extract itself, but from an upstream process. When the body is in a low thyroid state after the suspension of external replacement, it begins to produce a lot of TRH through the hypothalamus to stimulate the production of TSH by the anterior pituitary.

TRH has a lot of other pharmacological actions besides its effect as a hormone. I need to update my knowledge on it as it has been a long time but I can remember that it is closely related to dopamine release mechanisms. Also:
Il TRH esercita anche una varietà di effetti sul sistema nervoso centrale indipendenti dalla sua attività sull'asse HPT. Con l'avanzare dell'età, sono state dimostrate diminuzioni nella sintesi, espressione e attività di TRH. Associato a questa evidenza emergente suggerisce che TRH è implicato nelle malattie neurodegenerative dell'invecchiamento, tra cui il morbo di Alzheimer e il morbo di Parkinson. Il TRH ei suoi analoghi sintetici sono stati riconosciuti come fattori trofici nei neuroni del diencefalo e del midollo spinale e come neuroprotettori contro lo stress ossidativo, la tossicità del glutammato, la morte cellulare indotta dalla caspasi, la frammentazione del DNA e l'infiammazione. In questa recensione, forniremo una panoramica di alcuni dei ruoli di TRH, al di fuori dell'asse HPT.
What do you think? How to solve the problem? Thank you all!

mostlylurking

Hi everyone. As you know I have PSSD from SSRI use. SSRIs caused me hashimoto, with severe hypothyroidism. Despite the integration of T3 and T4 I don't solve the problem. My temperatures are low, metabolism slow, breathing hard, dry skin, hair loss, no libido, erectile dysfunction.
I am hypothyroid and also took Prozac for 3 years and then 5-htp (doctor ordered it) for 10 years. I can relate to your situation, even though I'm female. At age 65, I stopped the 5-htp cold turkey and found an endocrinologist who worked with me to "optimize" my thyroid medication (natural desiccated thyroid). The dose was stair stepped up to double my old dose; it took 9 months and blood tests every 6-8 weeks. I went from 90 mg (1.5 grains) to 180 mg (3 grains). I finally got my life back and stayed on that dose for 6 years.

My metabolism was damaged last summer by taking an antibiotic for an infection. The antibiotic blocked my thiamine function. see here: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter I was slammed; gained 25 pounds of fat in 2 months, overwhelmed with lactic acid inflammation. I felt like I was severely hypothyroid, got bloodwork done, which showed my T3 was through the roof. There was too much of it because it could not be utilized.

The point of this story is that other things (vitamin deficiencies, protein deficiency, PUFA, estrogen, etc) can block your metabolic function that thyroid supplementation can't fix on its own. Thiamine deficiency/blockage is a really big one. Also inadequate thyroid supplementation usually fails. Things to consider.

Elize

I became worse on NDT tried a few times and the freeze dried NDT was worst of all triggers histamine liberating reactions with me. Back on Synthetic T4 and T3 of which I can have only in very low dose.

OP
P

pippocui

I am hypothyroid and also took Prozac for 3 years and then 5-htp (doctor ordered it) for 10 years. I can relate to your situation, even though I'm female. At age 65, I stopped the 5-htp cold turkey and found an endocrinologist who worked with me to "optimize" my thyroid medication (natural desiccated thyroid). The dose was stair stepped up to double my old dose; it took 9 months and blood tests every 6-8 weeks. I went from 90 mg (1.5 grains) to 180 mg (3 grains). I finally got my life back and stayed on that dose for 6 years.

My metabolism was damaged last summer by taking an antibiotic for an infection. The antibiotic blocked my thiamine function. see here: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter I was slammed; gained 25 pounds of fat in 2 months, overwhelmed with lactic acid inflammation. I felt like I was severely hypothyroid, got bloodwork done, which showed my T3 was through the roof. There was too much of it because it could not be utilized.

The point of this story is that other things (vitamin deficiencies, protein deficiency, PUFA, estrogen, etc) can block your metabolic function that thyroid supplementation can't fix on its own. Thiamine deficiency/blockage is a really big one. Also inadequate thyroid supplementation usually fails. Things to consider.
As far as I'm concerned, the damage was done by the SSRIs. It's like they've desensitized the thyroid receptors.

I think PSSD occurs when serotonin levels stay elevated after SSRI use. There is a study showing that libido is dependent on the effect of serotonin - in that depletion of serotonin by pCPA induced hypersexuality, but not in castrated rats, and increasing testosterone had no effect on libido in the context of normal levels of serotonin in the brain.

mostlylurking

As far as I'm concerned, the damage was done by the SSRIs. It's like they've desensitized the thyroid receptors.
Maybe. I've had years of doing extremely well on an optimized thyroid dose so long as I keep the serotonin low. If I do something stupid like eat a banana or some pineapple or muscle meat or something that messes up my gut then I hurt pretty bad in my muscles and joints. I interpret it to being super sensitive to serotonin.

My hypothyroidism came first, exacerbated by PUFA and heavy metal exposure.

OP
P

pippocui

I think PSSD occurs when serotonin levels stay elevated after SSRI use. There is a study showing that libido is dependent on the effect of serotonin - in that depletion of serotonin by pCPA induced hypersexuality, but not in castrated rats, and increasing testosterone had no effect on libido in the context of normal levels of serotonin in the brain.
Certainly. But I'd focus more on serotonin reuptake, which also desensitizes thyroid receptors. I can't understand the mechanism well.

Certainly. But I'd focus more on serotonin reuptake, which also desensitizes thyroid receptors. I can't understand the mechanism well.
I don't really know what that means, but trying to fix a problem by making up far-fetched theories about what enzyme or receptor is making you sick won't lead to good health, you need a systematic approach.

OP
P

pippocui

I don't really know what that means, but trying to fix a problem by making up far-fetched theories about what enzyme or receptor is making you sick won't lead to good health, you need a systematic approach.
What do you mean? I did the blood tests and my TSH was 20, with antibodies sky high. The diagnosis was hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I started a treatment based on T3 and T4 and the TSH value is back in the range (below 1), but I maintain all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, including low temperatures and slow metabolism. I supplemented iron and vitamin D, which I was lacking, but nothing. The doctors do not treat me, because the values are now in the reference range. What should I do?

youngsinatra

What do you mean? I did the blood tests and my TSH was 20, with antibodies sky high. The diagnosis was hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I started a treatment based on T3 and T4 and the TSH value is back in the range (below 1), but I maintain all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, including low temperatures and slow metabolism. I supplemented iron and vitamin D, which I was lacking, but nothing. The doctors do not treat me, because the values are now in the reference range. What should I do?

Hashimoto is highly associated with gluten sensitivity.
Supplementing iron is very destructive for the metabolism, but it's sadly the mainstream approach to anemia.
Anemia is actually a sign of low bioavailable copper, which makes your body unable utilize that iron properly. Without bioavailable copper you cannot perform oxidative metabolism, because the Electron Transport Chain requires copper - leaving you with 90% less energy production - therefore low temps and slow metabolism and probably all kinds of symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Vitamin D3 is great, but it can also lower retinol, which is needed to load copper into it's transport protein ceruloplasmin (the "bioavailable copper" I am speaking of).
You need to get your Electron Transport Chain functioning again. - I would take dessicated beef liver, magnesium, K2 daily. (I actually do the same :D)

If you have any question, let me know!

And by the way, TRH and tyrosine hydroxylase (for dopamine) is copper dependent!

OP
P

pippocui

Thanks for the advice friend! I already take magnesium daily, I might add K2 too! But can't I take a copper supplement directly?

What's your diet like? I would follow Peat's general advice, which is to eat right, get enough sunlight / red light, then if that's not enough try supplemental thyroid (which you're doing), and a few other select possible supplements / pharmaceuticals such as anti-serotonergics.

youngsinatra

Thanks for the advice friend! I already take magnesium daily, I might add K2 too! But can't I take a copper supplement directly?
I dislike copper supplements because most Cu supplements are Cu (II) - the fully oxidized copper, which is blue.
The human body needs Cu (I) for all it's wonderful function, which is found in whole plant and animal foods.

Excellent sources are beef liver (the best) and oysters.
Others (less-concentrated) sources include: whole food vitamin C sources, potatoes, mushrooms, chocolate.

OP
P

pippocui

What's your diet like? I would follow Peat's general advice, which is to eat right, get enough sunlight / red light, then if that's not enough try supplemental thyroid (which you're doing), and a few other select possible supplements / pharmaceuticals such as anti-serotonergics.
I have a fairly varied diet and I get a lot of sunlight, especially in the summer I tan a lot. I've tried anti serotonin drugs like cyproheptadine before, but it didn't really help me. I also take vitamin B2 and biotin, which is supposed to help break down serotonin, but nothing. It is not a question of high or low serotonin, it is the receptors that are damaged!
I dislike copper supplements because most Cu supplements are Cu (II) - the fully oxidized copper, which is blue.
The human body needs Cu (I) for all it's wonderful function, which is found in whole plant and animal foods.

Excellent sources are beef liver (the best) and oysters.
Others (less-concentrated) sources include: whole food vitamin C sources, potatoes, mushrooms, chocolate.
Thanks friend, I'll try!

Back
Top Bottom