Psoriasis Treatment, Dietary Advice

Zigzag

Hey,

I've been looking at my dad struggling with his psoriasis for all my life. It sucks. He has it on scalp, elbows, knees and his back. He's tried probably all the available treatments but they only stop it from developing (even that sometimes doesn't help and he notices new marks).
The first thing that comes to my mind is his diet. He's very active, plays football a lot, burns a ton of calories and looks lean weighing 100kg, I guess very good metabolism. BUT, diet is full of pufas, he eats almost everything, but for fried steaks and nuts he can do anything. I've been slowly changing his habits in this area, but I think some more drastic measures are needed.
I'm thinking of him going on a temporary carnivore diet to see if it helps. Any other suggestions?

Paul Yamauchi, MD, PhD, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, said the researchers may have made an important discovery. “Even though psoriasis was not tested,” he said, “the same immune pathways that trigger psoriasis were stimulated by the high-salt diet.”

The high-salt diet the mice were fed stimulated a type of white blood cells — T-cells called Th17 cells. “It has been clearly shown that Th17 cells trigger psoriasis,” Dr. Yamauchi said. That’s why some of the drugs that have been developed to treat psoriasis, such as the biologic Stelara (ustekinumab), target the pathways driven by Th17 cells. Yamauchi noted that new biologics are in the pipeline for psoriasis that also target the Th17 pathway.

Even though the Nature study was conducted with mice, Yamauchi believes the findings were significant enough to recommend to his psoriasis patients that they lower their salt intake. “And for people with a family history of psoriasis, I will tell them also to reduce their salt intake to prevent occurrence of psoriasis,” he said.

Psoriasis sufferer here. The ***t's a puzzle. Breakouts are on my face. I've gone from bright red inflammation to an 80% resolve in a couple day's time. Some stuff like an antifungal protocol, drinking a lot of water, or replenishing a lack of lean meat and fruit in the diet helps dramatically in most cases and makes it mildly worse in others. With that said, I'll briefly list some words/phrases that I keep in mind to control my issue personally:

Haidut's naturally dessicated thyroid product, tyromax is supremely useful. Makes me certain that the condition is due to hypothyroidism primarily.

Oral health - emphasis on flossing, adding an antibacterial tincture to the floss helps more. Doing a 10 minute mouthwash with 1/4tsp triphala after brushing & flossing seems to help... Cutting down on mouth bacteria seems to be the lever here.

Having adequate (but not excess) of animal protein. Red meat is neutral at best but usually has a negative effect.

Not mixing rice, fish, eggs, potato, melon, or citrus with each other. If I'm going to have any of these, they are given at least an hour to digest separate from other meals.

A high quality carrot salad helps 90% of the time.

Staying well hydrated and eating fruit proportionate to meat. For instance, 50-60g of fruit juice usually feels right to help digest 3/4-1lb of meat.

Aspirin, K2, magnesium, whole food C tend to make it worse... Though sometimes a neutral effect with these.

One time a whole food multivitamin was miraculous and every other time it was a bad idea.

Progest-E (Progesterone from yams) in the morning or midday seems to help.

Oysters help, liver doesn't.

Nuts are neutral as long as they're consumed in the morning.

Coffee with adequate maple syrup helps provided enough protein has been consumed/not on an empty stomach.

Eggs are neutral if taken in the amount of like... 2 per week but usually they cause a worsening. Cheese is best raw and in small amounts.

Milk, yogurt, ice cream absolutely trashes me.

Cane sugar is okay 90% of the time.

Hard to say if activated charcoal is beneficial or not. Usually seems to help but also seems to backlog bowel movements which I'm speculating results in a net negative over the course of a 5 day span.

Yep.

OP
Z

Zigzag

Thank you for all of that. I forgot to mention my dad is hypo as well! I tried to list all the stuff he eats and when it comes to carbs he eats mainly potatos and bread (might be too much of that), he likes apples a lot and that would be it...No sweets. When it comes to protein, eggs from time to time, almost no fish (maybe once in a month), all meat, processed, non processed, often fried in canola oil. I think this might be culprit, cause from what you wrote above I see that all nutrients have to be nailed down and he has issue with greasy meat. I've already mentioned nuts and he definitely eats too much of those. Like candies.

lampofred

My guess is that the main issue is low calcium and high phosphate along with endotoxin for most of the autoimmune diseases.

LeeLemonoil

Has he tried fumaric acid? I‘ve no experience whatsoever with psioaris but recently read about fumaric acid being useful topically and systemically in treating psioaris, likely even here on RPF.
The proper medicines are fumaric acid esters but the plain fumaric acid is preferred in more alternative circles it seems.

Hypo it thyroid-situation in general might figure in. I’m constantly researching an eye disease called keratoconus where thyroid plays a major role and it has recently been discovered that psioaris and keratoconus Share genetic and immunological etiologies

Fumaric acid esters for psoriasis: a systematic review. - PubMed - NCBI

CONCLUSION: In conclusion, the use of FAE in the management of moderate to severe psoriasis is a promising treatment option, especially for those patients intolerant of, or unresponsive to other agents. If blood parameters are closely monitored during treatment as per the European Medicine Agencies guidelines (European Medicines Agency, 'Updated recommendations to minimise the risk of the rare brain infection PML with Tecfidera',

burtlancast

Ableton

My guess is that the main issue is low calcium and high phosphate along with endotoxin for most of the autoimmune diseases.

matches my experience. had mild psoriasis. it breaks out after eating lots of meat. and after drinking alcohol.
completely gone since peating (milk, oj, eggs, butter, coco oil, fruit, potatos, some shellfish, some liver)

guess milk has lots of phosphate, but it's also high calcium. so it's probably more the ratio, as usual. meaning you can probably eat meat if you get enough calcium in

OP
Z

Zigzag

So, after a couple of months nothing has really changed. He eliminated some foods from his diet but recently it's gotten even worse.
Should I force him to go on a strict elimination diet then slowly convert to "peaty" way of eating? The only thing that has changed, he has been put on an increased dose of levothyroxine by his endo. I feel like this is even worse than MPB we're trying to deal with in other threads heh.

Ableton

So, after a couple of months nothing has really changed. He eliminated some foods from his diet but recently it's gotten even worse.
Should I force him to go on a strict elimination diet then slowly convert to "peaty" way of eating? The only thing that has changed, he has been put on an increased dose of levothyroxine by his endo. I feel like this is even worse than MPB we're trying to deal with in other threads heh.

he needs to go zero alcohol and go from there.
My mom was an alcoholic. Psoriasis everywhere. When she stopped this and some psychopharmaca drugs it all went away in a matter of weeks
She also fasted in that timeframe. No meat