Psoriasis coming back after low carbing

OP
A

Ane

Yin foods are cooling, yang foods are warming and have a grounding effect on the body. I don't think Peat realizes how yin bodies are today, he is very old, he didn't grow up with the same amount of toxicity we have now. Yang veggies would be root veggies, carrots, all kinds of onions, daikon, leeks, rutabagas and the cruciferous veggies, golden beets and green beans. Nightshades can be a problem for some people. The squashes are more yin. Leafy greens as well. They contain more oxalates. Especially spinach and kale. Ray Peat recommended the raw carrot salad only to sweep the intestines but cooked carrots are actually better at absorbing bile. To him anything that feeds gut bacteria is the problem. After doing the low endotoxin diet for the majority of 10 yrs I am concluding that not feeding bacteria doesn't do much for health other than avoid symptoms. I still have histamine problems, I still have fatigue,I still have increasing cholesterol especially since I can't eat fiber anymore due to avoiding it for so long, and I still have the butt crack issue.
Thank you!
If I don't understand bad Peat isn't against consuming well cooked roots etc (those growing under earth), a more yang diet would be compatible with a "peaty" diet. I did eat raw greens everyday and I ate cruciferous while low carbing, the less carbs I ate the more I increased those kind of veggies. My problems with hair and undigested food made me finally change my diet. And my cholesterol was very elevated (both ldl and hdl).

My digestive problems have dessapeared, my hair and nails have improved a little (I think they improve with gelatin/collagen, supplemented vitamin/mineral while low carbing did nothing for them). But the psoriasis has come back... (I don't know how my cholesterol is right know)

I do eat kefir, I know Peat says sterile tube is the ideal and lactic acid being bad. But I grew up on lot of antibiotics (throat infections), and I'm not a big fan of them, and when eating fermented milk I have never feel bad. Also, raw milk has bacteria, and as far as I know he doesn't recommend not drinking it raw. I don't know if the lactic acid has made me any harm when I have eaten fermented milk, but I can't relate anything to it. (I think kefir helps digesting fiber, I couldn't at the end of low carbing, now when I eat something with lot of fibre, artichokes... I drink some kefir, no more undigested food).

The issue with starches is that I put on weight very easily if I remain on them as staple.

I have just read in this forum about ginger helping with histamine, maybe you coul try.

I always use coconut oil for everything, for psoriasis too, have you tried it for the crank?

InChristAlone

Thank you!
If I don't understand bad Peat isn't against consuming well cooked roots etc (those growing under earth), a more yang diet would be compatible with a "peaty" diet. I did eat raw greens everyday and I ate cruciferous while low carbing, the less carbs I ate the more I increased those kind of veggies. My problems with hair and undigested food made me finally change my diet. And my cholesterol was very elevated (both ldl and hdl).

My digestive problems have dessapeared, my hair and nails have improved a little (I think they improve with gelatin/collagen, supplemented vitamin/mineral while low carbing did nothing for them). But the psoriasis has come back... (I don't know how my cholesterol is right know)

I do eat kefir, I know Peat says sterile tube is the ideal and lactic acid being bad. But I grew up on lot of antibiotics (throat infections), and I'm not a big fan of them, and when eating fermented milk I have never feel bad. Also, raw milk has bacteria, and as far as I know he doesn't recommend not drinking it raw. I don't know if the lactic acid has made me any harm when I have eaten fermented milk, but I can't relate anything to it. (I think kefir helps digesting fiber, I couldn't at the end of low carbing, now when I eat something with lot of fibre, artichokes... I drink some kefir, no more undigested food).

The issue with starches is that I put on weight very easily if I remain on them as staple.

I have just read in this forum about ginger helping with histamine, maybe you coul try.

I always use coconut oil for everything, for psoriasis too, have you tried it for the crank?
Here are some quotes from Peat which I took to be gospel as they rang true for my likes and dislikes:
"But when people try to live primarily on foliage, as in famines, they soon suffer from a great variety of diseases. Various leaves contain antimetabolic substances that prevent the assimilation of the nutrients, and only very specifically adapted digestive systems (or technologies) can overcome those toxic effects."
"Roots contain chemicals that inhibit microorganisms, but because they aren’t easily accessible by grazing animals and insects, they don’t contain the digestive inhibitors that are more concentrated in the above-ground organs of the plant."
"The toxins of plants include phenols, tannins, lectins/agglutinins, and trypsin-inhibitors, besides innumerable more specific metabolic inhibitors, including “anti-vitamins.” Unsaturated fats themselves are important defenses, since they inhibit trypsin and other proteolytic enzymes, preventing the assimilation of the proteins that are present in seeds and leaves, and disrupting all biological processes that depend on protein breakdown, such as the formation of thyroid hormone and the removal of blood clots."
"Generally, fruits, roots, and tubers provide a high concentration of nutrients along with low concentrations of toxic antimetabolic substances."
"Besides their specific defensive toxins and antimetabolites, plants are major sources of allergens. The allergenicity of a food depends on the sensitivity of the individual, as well as on the growth conditions of the plant. The use of extremely toxic pesticides has affected both the crops and the sensitivity of the human population to allergens. "
"Animal proteins, and fruits, because they contain the lowest levels of toxins, should form the basis of the diet. Not all fruits, of course, are perfectly safe--avocados, for example, contain so much unsaturated fat that they can be carcinogenic and hepatotoxic."

Fruits do not have enough vitamins and minerals in general to form the basis of a diet. And are very yin-cooling- to the body. Necessitating use of thyroid hormone which most on this forum who choose mainly cooling foods do. I wish this could be the best diet I really wish it could! I tried for so long to make it work, although I was still consuming other foods I mainly quit all leafy above ground plants, all beans, nuts, and seeds and stuck to approved Peat fruits the tropical fruits which are the most cooling. When I switched from orange juice to bananas I noticed more healing. I find bananas to be more yang than the watery fruits. But still do not warm/heal my body like a yang meal of root veggies and protein. I'm still trying to figure out if cruciferous veggies are anti-nutrients or not, well cooked I believe Chris Masterjohn says they do not block thyroid hormone.

Small amounts of kefir are fine, raw dairy is more healthful, I was fairly healthy when I did a WAPF diet before coming to Peat, we drank a glass of raw milk everyday for breakfast. I found it to be somewhat cooling in excess. I can't tolerate milk drinking now I stick to ice cream and cheese which warm me up reliably. Completely messed up my body using lots of coffee and sugar and breastfeeding 24/7 for yrs.

That's great consuming more carbs has helped you! It definitely is essential for lowering cortisol and adrenaline, just maybe the fruits are a bit too yin and then the skin condition can come back. Not positive on it yet as I'm in the process of trialing more yang less/no yin foods, but thought I'd mention it in case it helps you figure out why it's back. It's also a matter of balancing minerals. Everyone needs more calcium, mag, selenium, and zinc. A Peat diet tends to be lower in the zinc:copper ratio depending on the foods used, some use oysters for zinc but those are high in cadmium and other junk from the ocean. Women tend to have more copper as it is.

OP
A

Ane

Have you tried to up the intake of potatoes, leeks, pumpkins, etc and lower oranges and tropical fruits?

I'll try to track what I eat to know if I'm not eating enough vitamin B, and see what can I change to up it if it's low, or to up more fruit like veggies and tubers and lower the fruit.

OP
A

Ane

I already know that I'm not eating enough b3, biotine and folate.

InChristAlone

Have you tried to up the intake of potatoes, leeks, pumpkins, etc and lower oranges and tropical fruits?

I'll try to track what I eat to know if I'm not eating enough vitamin B, and see what can I change to up it if it's low, or to up more fruit like veggies and tubers and lower the fruit.
I am still switching over, potatoes don't seem as good as the veggies. I may be sensitive to the solanine in them and apparently they are less of a root than rutabaga as they are the 'seed' of the plant. Not sure if I agree with that, but when I try to switch to potatoes as my main carb source I notice problems.

Coconut oil is more cooling because it is a tropical plant. When I used coconut oil I don't notice the 'heating' effects Peat noticed.

OP
A

Ane

I am still switching over, potatoes don't seem as good as the veggies. I may be sensitive to the solanine in them and apparently they are less of a root than rutabaga as they are the 'seed' of the plant. Not sure if I agree with that, but when I try to switch to potatoes as my main carb source I notice problems.

Coconut oil is more cooling because it is a tropical plant. When I used coconut oil I don't notice the 'heating' effects Peat noticed.
Hope you find the way to feeling better.

B

Blaze

Many thanks. I eat very little liver, so maybe my b are low. Do you know which is the connection between b-vitamin and psoriasis? Could nutritional yeast be a quick fix?
Think of vitamins as the cofactors in utilizing the nutrition in the food you eat. Any food intake spends the vitamin reserves to oxidize them and then those levels must be restored or your body will have issues. B-vitamins, specifically thiamine and perhaps zinc and riboflavin would possibly help your issues as you might be deficient do to carb metabolism draining those resources.

OP
A

Ane

Think of vitamins as the cofactors in utilizing the nutrition in the food you eat. Any food intake spends the vitamin reserves to oxidize them and then those levels must be restored or your body will have issues. B-vitamins, specifically thiamine and perhaps zinc and riboflavin would possibly help your issues as you might be deficient do to carb metabolism draining those resources.
Many thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals